LegacyGT.com

Schools. 1957 vs. 2007

andrew.anderson

SCHOOL 1957 vs. 2007

Scenario: Jack goes quail hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.

1957 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.

2007 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counsellors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.

1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

2007 - Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't be still in class, disrupts other students.

1957 - Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by the Principal. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2007 - Jeffrey given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra money from state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has affair with psychologist.

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1957 - Mark shares aspirin with Principal out on the smoking dock.

2007 - Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Pedro fails high school English.

1957 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.

2007 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English banned from core curriculum. Pedro given diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from 4th of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a red ant bed.

1957 - Ants die.

2007 - BATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated, Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

lol

I would love to go back in time when society was not so screwed up.

:lol::lol::lol: to the original post!

But uhh... when do you think society was not screwed up? Please enlighten us??? Hell yeah - some things were WAY better as in above and much more. In the same @ 50'ish era, you had state sanctioned racism/segregation, tolerated (by the masses) violent hate groups, Macarthiest witch hunts, "ancient" medical technology, etc. etc. The list goes on. Pick your poison. At least there were few emissions sanctions :lol:.

Go back 50, 100, 200, 1000 years, and you'll find just as much misery and happiness... just in a different form (social class aside).

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

When I was 10 or so - 1963 - I went over to a friends to play in Andover, MA. After running around the fields all day, his father brought out an M1 Carbine and propped up a target in the back yard. He mentioned this to my dad when he came by - no big deal, he didn't ask permission or anything. Almost all our neighbors and friends were WWII combat veterans of some sort.

Today, they'd call in a SWAT team and the M1 Carbine is an "Assault Rifle" in many jurisdictions.

But I don't miss bias ply tires, drum brakes, or carbs.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

But uhh... when do you think society was not screwed up? Please enlighten us??? Hell yeah - some things were WAY better as in above and much more. In the same @ 50'ish era, you had state sanctioned racism/segregation, tolerated (by the masses) violent hate groups, Macarthiest witch hunts, "ancient" medical technology, etc. etc. The list goes on. Pick your poison. At least there were few emissions sanctions :lol:.

Go back 50, 100, 200, 1000 years, and you'll find just as much misery and happiness... just in a different form (social class aside).

That is why I used the word so. ... so screwed up.

Scenario: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

You forget, they close the playground too and determine it unsafe for kids. Recess is no longer allowed and it is replaced with exercise time in the gym to make the overweight kids work out.

I hate the current school system. I served on the school board back when I was in High School and I constantly fought with the administration and the hippy parents that wanted to do away with so much and bring in more Arts (without updating any of the core, important classes). My favorite incident is when they tried to ban SUV's from the student parking lot (this was proposed by a Prius owner) I lost it considering back then I owned a '96 Ford Explorer. The best part was after the meeting he went to his Prius and tried to get out of his spot. During the course of the meeting though 3" of snow had fallen on top of the 4" we had already had. He couldnt get his car to go any where and asked for help pulling his car out of his spot with my SUV. I said no, he should have bought something with 4WD and some ground clearance.

With that said, now that I am back from college and living back in town, I am considering running for a position on the School Board because it really is going downhill and the kids are really suffering from it.

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Another episode of "Sad but True."

As a teacher, I could go on and on about stuff like this, but I won't waste your time... if you are in school, or have kids in school, you already know what I mean.

My personal favorite was when the principal told me I couldn't require kids to come to astronomy lab at night. Of course, sports teams play at night, theatre kids practice and perform at night, band performs evenings and after school -- all required, but it was verboten! for astronomy class! :mad:

Of course, my principal was a PE major who taught 3 years in 3rd grade before making the jump to high school administration. :spin:

Archived