LegacyGT.com

Dealer Advice? Fact or Myth?

The dealer tells me that with a turbo charged engine, after reaching your destination, you want to let the car idle for a solid 15-20 seconds as to give the intercooler an opportunity to cool the turbo instead of turning the car right off when the turbo is nice and hot.

Fact or Myth????

intercooler won't do anything cooling wise while the car is parked, there's your first red flag. The water portion of the turbo cooling system continues to work after the car is shut off.

Many older turbo cars do not have a turbo cooling system that works after the car is shut off, my 300ZX for example. Some people run turbo timers on these types of cars. I believe they don't do much with the car at rest, ideling. I Choose to drive the car easy for the last mile or so and keep it out of boost.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Yeah, intercooler isn't going to do much when idle, and the point is to let the oil cool. With a stock turbo you have close to zero chance of damage turning the car off without idleing. I do allow the car to cool for a minute or two after a long hard run though just as a precaution even if it is not required. It just puts my mind at ease. Your first clue to BS is the mention of the intercooler which will serve no purpose at idle when it cannot draw fresh air.

My friend used to swear by a turbo timer and put it in every car he owned. In his Evo didn't install a turbo timer, but would just shut the car off when the EGT's reached 1500 (i believe). He quickly realized turbo timers are a waste of money and gas (not to mention hassle) as the car cools off in about 30 seconds as opposed to 3 minutes, and you don't need to idle the car every time you drive it, only when it has been driven hard enough to get the temperatures high. As fweasel says, taking it easy the last few minutes is just as good as letting the car idle, it will cool very rapidly when you are not in boost.

Shut the car off, your wallet and the environment will thank you.

Am I reading those temp's right?? At 8000-10000 degrees anything metal would be liquefied. I don't think your exhaust temps should go over 1500 degrees ever unless you want the fins on the turbo to melt. I must be missing something here....

Am I reading those temp's right?? At 8000-10000 degrees anything metal would be liquefied. I don't think your exhaust temps should go over 1500 degrees ever unless you want the fins on the turbo to melt. I must be missing something here....

I dont know why I put 8-10k, I meant 800 lol. I have never seen it go above 1500* lol

Amy

04 FXT vf39 5mt

At least he didn't tell you there is a seperate maintnence plan for the turbo. I would have laughed...in his face

"Need you to come in every 8k miles for turbine wheel rotation and diagnostics to ensure it spins the right direction everytime."

Old school turbo requirements. Nowadays, at least with an OEM Subaru, not needed if you are driving normally the last few minutes before shutting off engine.

Hot lapping at a track and no cooldown lap? Then yes, idling would be a good idea.

FWIW, on both the Audi 1.8T and 2.7T lack of a proper turbo cool down is the major cause of turbo failures (the 1.8T sludge problem was caused by improper cooldown or conventional oil and normally a combination of the both).

Now I'd imagine the stock turbo in the subaru is a better design (the audi OEM K03 sucked and the B5s they were placed in had an etxraordinarally hot engine bay), but its still a darn good idea. My main poiunt is that its not just old school turbos though.

The main key is to keep the oil and coolant moving so the oil doesn't cook and cause coke (often called sludge, but not technically sludge). It has absolutely zero to do with the intercooler, but the oil temp in the turbo.

Oh and after tracking or hard driving, a cooldown can often last many minutes.

Archived