LegacyGT.com

2006 spec-B Short Throw?

A short-throw shifter did not come stock with 06' Spec Bs. You could get the dealer installed SPT short throw as an option.

Some of the 06 GTB's did show up with the factory installed short throw - I was there when the truck arrived at the stealership and I had my choice of three GTB's. Two had the short throw, one did not.

I would avoid the stock STS and opt for either a Kartboy or Cobb adjustable STS. It is most likely lower in cost, and based on reviews from people who've had both, the aftermarket variety seems to better improve the shifting action.

I know I love the Cobb DA versus the stock shifter. It takes all the "rubbery-ness" out of shifting and makes it so the shifter knob doesn't obscure the ACC.

Some of the 06 GTB's did show up with the factory installed short throw - I was there when the truck arrived at the stealership and I had my choice of three GTB's. Two had the short throw, one did not.

That's what I meant. The STS was an option (whether it was factory installed or dealer installed, I wasn't quite sure.)

The only thing to keep in mind is the the Cobb lever is straight, 180 degrees from the ball pivot through the linkage, to the shift knob. The Kartboy lever is angled forward at the linkage which puts the knob further forward.

In my opinion, having the knob further back works well with our low armrests. The ability to adjust the throw and height (semi)independently is nice too.

I found the following sequence to work really well:

1. Put the shifter into 1st and lengthen the bottom arm until there is the slightest clearance between the linkage and the plate. Tighten the lower arm.

2. Tighten the shift knob onto the lever as tight as you would for the final assembly. Raise the shift knob to the desired height and orientation. It may help to put the car into 2nd/4th/R to get a feel for where your arm will rest. Tighten the top arm.

3. Drive around for a day or too with the shifter console trim removed. Keep the hex key handy and make small tweaks when you are safely stopped.

Optional:

-Notch the metal plate where it would interfere in first to allow you to allow you to reduce the throw even more.

-Leave out the rubber boot, keep the sound insulation and trim it to fit the shifters stroke.

-Lubricate the linkage and ball pivot with lithium grease to prevent rattles.

Archived