LegacyGT.com

Tallest tire for stock '05 LGT

TLS

We will be looking to replace the stock RE92's (215/45-17) shortly. Looking for something to lower the RPM's a bit more at highway speeds (WTF was Subaru thinking?).

Performance isn't a factor. Ride is a big factor, as would be noise.

I know it's totally safe to go with a 225/45's. But that really isn't that much taller (10 Rev/mile less)

Would a 215/50 be too tall?

How about 205/50

I've read a lot of previous posts that came up with a search. Most posters are looking to go wider and with a lean towards performance.

You should be fine w/ 215/50R17, which is a 25.5 inch diameter tire as compared to 24.6 inches diameter for the stock 215/45R17. Keep in mind that the Spec B runs a 25.6-inch diameter 215/45R18 tire.

Have you personally run the 215/50's?

Are the newer Legacy's/SpecB's set up differently that could cause them to allow larger tires (A arms, ball joints, etc)?

And is there anyone with these taller tires to comment on the drivability with the taller gear ratio?

Thanks

. Keep in mind that the Spec B runs a 25.6-inch diameter 215/45R18 tire.

that really helps suck up will gap especially with a drop! and keeps the car a decent height above ground. im running 225/45 winter tires on a 17x7.5 wheel that is still almost .5" smaller then the oem spec b wheels and tires i have.

i didnt notice any change in rpms on the highway when i jumped from oem 17s to spec b 18s. im sure there is a slight change but 80 is still about 3.5k either way. i do like being able to wind 2nd out a little longer :) but thats 2nd gear not 5th.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

1/2" taller tire should affect RPM quite a bit.

the spec b setup i have is 1" larger in diameter then the oem 17s and re92s and again there was no noticable change in rpms on the highway. def noticable i could wind out 2nd to about 63-64, but in 5th it was about the same as stock. Not sure if i datalogged with those wheels, i'll have to check and compare to the 17s.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

We will be looking to replace the stock RE92's (215/45-17) shortly. Looking for something to lower the RPM's a bit more at highway speeds (WTF was Subaru thinking?).

Performance isn't a factor. Ride is a big factor, as would be noise.

I know it's totally safe to go with a 225/45's. But that really isn't that much taller (10 Rev/mile less)

Would a 215/50 be too tall?

How about 205/50

I've read a lot of previous posts that came up with a search. Most posters are looking to go wider and with a lean towards performance.

My winter set up is 215/50-17 which closely approximates OEM Spec.B 18" dimensions. No problems and a little extra cushion for pothole season.:)

the spec b setup i have is 1" larger in diameter then the oem 17s and re92s and again there was no noticable change in rpms on the highway. def noticable i could wind out 2nd to about 63-64, but in 5th it was about the same as stock. Not sure if i datalogged with those wheels, i'll have to check and compare to the 17s.

The OEM Spec.B wheel/tire is close to 5% bigger circumfirence than the OEM LGT.

This ~5% will directly apply in each and every gear.

Your also going THAT much faster than indicated. Your RPM's have changed.

My winter set up is 215/50-17 which closely approximates OEM Spec.B 18" dimensions. No problems and a little extra cushion for pothole season.:)
Glad to hear. Stock 17" rims? No rubbing at all?

• 2 months later...

My Wife hit a pothole this weekend. Blew the RF tire at the bead!

Bump for anything further anyone wants to add. Will likely be buying a new set this week as we're on the fullsize spare.

Will be using the STOCK wheels.

Want to go as tall as possible w/o ANY rubbing.

Someone mounted 225/50/17 on stockers, which is bit surprising. The consens was it would rub unless a smaller offset wheel is used (+48).

May depend on the tire, some are wider some are narrower.

Someone mounted 225/50/17 on stockers, which is bit surprising. The consens was it would rub unless a smaller offset wheel is used (+48).

May depend on the tire, some are wider some are narrower.

Yeah...stock wheels will be used.

Any suggestions out there with regard to tires? Brand/type?

Looking for a quiet and comfortable ride.

Archived