LegacyGT.com

MR CBE question

minimalistic

Ok I got my MR CBE installed. I mated it to the stock downpipe while I wait for the Cobb AP. I'll do a full review later. I have a question though. It looks like the mesh section of the midpipe touches the heat shield. I can feel a lot more vibration in the floor board now. Did I install it incorrectly? Did anyone else have this problem? I've included some pics below.

http://www.minimalistic.net/personal/mrcbe1.jpg

http://www.minimalistic.net/personal/mrcbe2.jpg

It doesn't look "backwards" I flipped the pipe over and over while under the car and its identical either way. I was just curious if it was a common Megan fitment issue or if I got a bad exhaust. After a little bit longer drive I do notice additional noise coming from the front of the car which I think is from the pipe rubbing on the heat shield. If I remove the heat shield is it going to melt my carpet or anything weird?

found this for ya.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41221

has a picture is why i am posting it.

another

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72167&highlight=megan+racing+CBE+install

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Pisadong/MRcatbackV2007.jpg

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

What if I were to remove the heat shield and then use some heat wrap in that area instead? Would that keep the temperature the same in that area? There is definitely a bad vibration noise under WOT. Its louder than the exhaust itself. Thanks for the picture rage but the area that I'm talking about is just out of site in that photo, and it looks like they are using an aftermarket DP too. It could be my stock downpipe causing all the trouble. '05limited are you running a stock DP?

EDIT: The more I look at that picture from the Megan CBE thread I notice that it doesnt have the flex section like mine. Its straight until it hits the resonator. Mine is straight, then flex, straight again, then resonator. Maybe its the angle but I dont see that section on the picture above.

I have the MR TBE and both the flex section had to be heated and bent and the downpipe section.... the fitment is not perfect whatsoever, but with minor adjustments its a great sounding setup and its actually very very very sleeper, i have had montreal cops on my ass at a stop light and not pull me over thank god, if I had big cans like perrin or avo I think I would be more likely to get pulled over, it almost looks as if the system belongs on the car.

This is a problem I've seen other people have with the MR CBE and the stock downpipe due to the downpipe's upward angle just before the connection to the catback. There's a few posts about this around here. The flex section was added after the first shipment of them went out exactly because of this problem, but it doesn't seem like it fixed it in all cases. Some people have cut the part of the heatshield that's rubbing out and left the rest attached. I've had my MR exhaust sitting here for over a year without installing it because I didn't want to risk mine doing the same thing. Once the new AP comes out, then I'll be putting on my new DP and the MR exhaust all at once and hopefully (crossing fingers) I won't have any rubbing issues.

With some DP's that angle upward a bit more than stock you simply need to bend the heat shield out of the way. The material is soft and you can do it with your fingers or a screwdriver/prybar. You typically only need to move the heatshield less than 1/2", which is very easily achieved.

Good luck with the Invidia. It tilts upward more than any other DP on the market. Much more so than stock. I managed to make it work for one of my customers by slotting the opening on the tranny hanger and grinding it a bit to allow the DP to hang lower. I also had to work the heatshield quite a bit.

if you live where i am at the only thing you have to do is take them a 12 pack and they will bend or break or cut anything you want.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

After about 30 minutes of prying I couldnt get it to come off those sections. The pipe is crushed up against the heat shield pretty good. Thats why I feel a lot of vibration and noise from the floorboard. I think I might just cut that section away and wrap it with some exhaust tape.

It doesn't look "backwards" I flipped the pipe over and over while under the car and its identical either way. I was just curious if it was a common Megan fitment issue or if I got a bad exhaust. After a little bit longer drive I do notice additional noise coming from the front of the car which I think is from the pipe rubbing on the heat shield. If I remove the heat shield is it going to melt my carpet or anything weird?

It is _not_ identical.... fighting with it now.. it's very unclear which way is better.

It doesn't fit. Removing the heatshield won't matter, I adjusted my heatshield until it was touching the driveshaft bearing. Exhaust is touching it. Gah.... Also it's about an inch too short.Mangling the "flex" section will make it shorter. I have no idea how to accomplish that, it's pretty damn unbendable even at exhaust temps.

Archived