LegacyGT.com

Subaru October Sales

Beanboy

Looks like overall sales are down 7% YTD.

Impreza is up 12% YTD

Legacy is down 7% YTD

Forester is down 10% YTD

Tribeca is down 12% YTD

As for October sales versus last October, Impreza is up 22%, Tribeca is up 15%, Legacy is flat, Forester is down 17%.

Looks like the visual/engine changes of the Tribeca have helped sales. Wonder how many of those Impreza sales are new 2008 models versus fire sales on 2007s. The new Forester can't come soon enough.

Hmm, I wonder why Tribeca did so poorly. Rising gas prices maybe?

Just an idea. If I were an average car buyer, not concerned about performance, but more so concerned that oil is hitting $100 a barrel here's what I see. Legacy GT, 243 hp 17 mpg city, 24 hwy Premium fuel. Toyota Camry, 270 hp 19 mpg city, 28 hwy Regular unleaded. Comparisons like that hurt the whole Subaru lineup.

Edit: Thinking about it somemore, I remembered our discussion about Subaru and CVTs. Maybe this is their answer to improving fuel efficieny, thus increasing attractiveness. Another comparisson '07 WRX vs. STi. WRX, 224 hp 20 mpg city, 27 hwy 5MT. STi, 290 hp, 19 city, 25 hwy 6MT. Considering that the WRX makes quite a bit less hp, Id be interested to see of a 6MT and a 5EAT would help this car out. Seems like it would. And the 23 mpg hwy Forester XT as well.

Okay, that is all.

Hmm, I wonder why Tribeca did so poorly. Rising gas prices maybe?

Just an idea. If I were an average car buyer, not concerned about performance, but more so concerned that oil is hitting $100 a barrel here's what I see. Legacy GT, 243 hp 17 mpg city, 24 hwy Premium fuel. Toyota Camry, 270 hp 19 mpg city, 28 hwy Regular unleaded. Comparisons like that hurt the whole Subaru lineup.

Edit: Thinking about it somemore, I remembered our discussion about Subaru and CVTs. Maybe this is their answer to improving fuel efficieny, thus increasing attractiveness. Another comparisson '07 WRX vs. STi. WRX, 224 hp 20 mpg city, 27 hwy 5MT. STi, 290 hp, 19 city, 25 hwy 6MT. Considering that the WRX makes quite a bit less hp, Id be interested to see of a 6MT and a 5EAT would help this car out. Seems like it would. And the 23 mpg hwy Forester XT as well.

Okay, that is all.

Er... no. The biggest reason Subarus get worse fuel economy than boring cars like the Camry is the AWD (which adds weight and drivetrain loss). And most people like boring cars.

Driving a recent Toyota Camry V6 is an exercise in frustration. The throttle reponse is like an on-off switch. You're either crawling or thrown back in your seat. There's little power until the cams kick in at ~5000 RPM.

I'd much prefer the smooth throttle response, nice exhaust note and AWD of a Subuaru.

My point is that unless Subaru drops AWD (which the shouldn't), they'll never match the fuel economy numbers of Camrys, Accords, etc.

Er... no. The biggest reason Subarus get worse fuel economy than boring cars like the Camry is the AWD (which adds weight and drivetrain loss). And most people like boring cars.

Yeah, we already know that. But we're talking a difference of 4 mpg, not to mention that the Camry is a heavier vehicle. Also note that I said the average car buyer, because afterall average American joe car buyer buys 400,000 Camrys everyear. Thats 200,000 more cars than Subaru sales in the States anually.

Take another example. The 3.2L A4, slightly higher output specs that the LGT, its 150 lbs heavier has Quattro: 18 mpg city, 27 hwy.

My point is that from a marketing standpoint oil prices are impacting sales. Maybe they should start offering FWD vehicles again. But then I am no expert.

Take another example. The 3.2L A4, slightly higher output specs that the LGT, its 150 lbs heavier has Quattro: 18 mpg city, 27 hwy.

You're comparing 2007 EPA estimates for the Audi to 2008 EPA estimates for the Subaru. EPA's 2008 estimates are lower across the board due to a change in the way they are calculated. The 2007 LGT was 19/25, while the 2008 LGT is 17/24. In comparison, the 2008 A4 ratings are 15/25 for the MT and 17/25 for the AT:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/FEG2008.pdf

maybe if they started to change how they ran their dealerhsip people would start buying more. where i live there are only two dealerships. both suck. both charge 120 an hour for services PLUS a 10% shop fee on top of that which has a cap but i forget how high. then for parts i have a wholesale account w/ them and get 15% off, BUT, say a customer wants something in CO. If the dealer does not have the part they will ship it only to the dealer I have an account with. Some times they will ship it cross country rather than the closer dealer. Ugh.

bottom line... better marketing = more sales

how many 'average joes' know a subaru legacy when they see it? how many car buffs even? id say about 2 percent.

agreed -- they have a very marketable car that they have completely failed to market. I didn't even consider a subaru, until I went to test drive a nissan altima and the nissan/subaru dealer suggested I drive the legacy.

agreed -- they have a very marketable car that they have completely failed to market. I didn't even consider a subaru, until I went to test drive a nissan altima and the nissan/subaru dealer suggested I drive the legacy.

Exactly. I knew of Legacies since they first came out in the 90s, but I never thought anything about buying one. I heard good things about Subarus and, by chance, we went to a Subaru dealer where I knew the Legacy was the car for me. From '05 on, the Legacy really is one of the best values on the road. Subaru needs to understand how great the car is and market the hell out of it. Boring Camrys and Accords have nothing on the Legacy.

You're comparing 2007 EPA estimates for the Audi to 2008 EPA estimates for the Subaru. EPA's 2008 estimates are lower across the board due to a change in the way they are calculated. The 2007 LGT was 19/25, while the 2008 LGT is 17/24. In comparison, the 2008 A4 ratings are 15/25 for the MT and 17/25 for the AT:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/FEG2008.pdf

Newbie, no. We've been well aware of changes in fuel economy testing for a good year now.

2008 Audi A4 with CVT: 18 mpg city, 27 hwy.

Subaru has (finally) said direct injection is coming. Will make a huge difference across the line for them, with so many turbo engines.

Well thats good, then I can finally stop complaining about them not having it. DI will improve power and fuel economy tremendously. Woot woot.

Yeah, we already know that. But we're talking a difference of 4 mpg, not to mention that the Camry is a heavier vehicle. Also note that I said the average car buyer, because afterall average American joe car buyer buys 400,000 Camrys everyear. Thats 200,000 more cars than Subaru sales in the States anually.

My point is that from a marketing standpoint oil prices are impacting sales. Maybe they should start offering FWD vehicles again. But then I am no expert.

It seems like you're speaking with forked tongue, my friend. You endlessly complain about the new Subaru's looks and how your Legacy is the best one ever. You talk as if Subaru has sold out or something.

Now you're saying they should go mass market. I don't get it.

Most people want a boring mass market car that gets good fuel economy. And they'll go buy one. People who care about cars or want one that performs in bad whether will buy something else -- like a Subaru.

For me, who cares about a couple of MPG. It means virtually nothing in terms of long-term ownership costs or the environment. You'd do more for the environment putting out that massive coal fire over there in China that puts out more emissions in one year than all of the cars in the US put together!!

It seems like you're speaking with forked tongue, my friend. You endlessly complain about the new Subaru's looks and how your Legacy is the best one ever. You talk as if Subaru has sold out or something.

I had a response written out, but now that I think about it, its not worth it. You don't like what I post, then you can ignore me. Its that simple. I've been around here long enough so that I dont lose sleep over the likes of you bantering me. That being said, I do resent that you would suggest that I roam this website lauding my 1999 Legacy GT Limited, that has gold wheels, JDM foglights and tails, a black leather interior of which 528 MT BD Ltds. were ever produced.

God forbid I say anything about bad about mother Subaru.

Oh mercy ;-).

Personally I dont care to much about having a "popular" car.. As long as Subaru keeps making great vehicles with the numbers they do sell than you will not see any complaints from me.. Plus its pretty cool to have a rare gem that not too many others have.

Actually it was pretty cool at work when I first got my 08. A guy at work asked me what I was driving and when I said Subaru Legacy he was kind of thrown back. Said something along the lines of wow Subaru really is stepping up.. He drives an S550 and was impressed.. Thats a good feeling.

I've had my 2008 for 5-6 months and seen maybe 4 or 5 others. GT's and 3.0R's

I havent seen a 08' GT or 3.0R's, the ones I saw were 2.5i and wagon 2.5i. I really want to know how many 08' LGT are out there. And when I was browsing through subaru of canada site, they dont have white as a option either, so maybe my SWP is even more rare in north america.

SWP FTW....

I saw my FIRST new gen Legacy on my way to work today. Not sure if it was '07 or '08 I didn't look at the mirrors close enough. But it wasn't a GT...

Personally I agree with others, I don't care if the car I am driving sells a million more, I too like it when people have no idea what my car is, and then go for a ride in it and have an even more amazed look on their face.

So long as Subaru's sales keep increasing enough to keep them in business (and I think the Impreza will do that for them) bring it on.

I do agree though, that the marketing sucks. I don't even know if there is a TV ad for the Legacy in my part of the country. The new Tribeca commercial is at least a little humurous.

• 2 weeks later...
Subaru has (finally) said direct injection is coming. Will make a huge difference across the line for them, with so many turbo engines.

+1.. On our 335 TT, it's quite amazing the mileage it gets with the direct piezo injection, as well as the seemingly opposing trait re: the power/torque it can deliver on demand. I suspect that the tighter, more precise control on the combustion stroke which allows a much leaner and higher allowable base compression ratio helps a lot. No reason why Subi can't do the same, and end up with an engine as smooth (or smoother) than the inline 6 ...

i wonder when they'll be adding the direct injection... perhaps i should wait a tad longer for an 09??

I was also.. but my wife needed a new car, so we just got the NA version to tide her over. When it comes, I will switch her car for a turbo also. An easy sell to me.

How many average car buyers still think fwd is superior for wet weather and snow driving? I don't hear it as much anymore, but still on occasion. I am starting to see alot more 08 imprezas now, and with the success of the Mazda 3 and focus, I think they have made themselves known to a wider audience. Any current Impreza owner that drives an 08 will find it is still very much the same car with a few refinements, the looks grow quickly after that.

Archived