LegacyGT.com

Nokian WR G2s Installed = Nice, Very Nice

Owentt

$644 shipped is great price. Gotta remember that when I'm looking for tires next time.
You might check your local dealer first.

The dealer we buy most of our Nokians from - Johns & Sons Tires in Manchester, NH - quoted me $696 mounted and balanced. When I brought a three friends last year, they knocked off $20 per car.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Second year on Kumho KW17 winter tires. Very happy with how they perform in the typical winter conditions I see: cold dry roads, wet surfaces, slush, lighter unplowed accumulations. Did OK in the one or two times in the deeper stuff too even though their design is biased toward the other end of winter driving conditions vs deep snow. Good enough to still earn the severe winter designation. Price now down to $80 on eBay (shipping rate very reasonable too).

http://buywheelstoday.com/images_products/L_1837.jpg

From what I can tell, unfortunately the WR-G2 doesn't come in our OB's size of 225/55R17. The non-G2 does though, correct?

--Lee

The fellow at Johns (small dealer but they sell tons of Nokians) said that they don't have all sizes of the G2 yet, so they are still getting the WR's. And they haven't given him any dates as to when the pipeline is full. He said price is the same for either version.

I didn't ask about RSI's. You see more of those north of Manchvegas or W of 495.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I am VERY happy. Only tested em' with around 2 inches or so of snow. We got a bit of slush and stuff up here but nothing big yet. I CAN'T WAIT for some real snow and or extended bad weather. Then I can do a proper report.

Ok OwenTT...

I happen to KNOW you guys got a "wee bit" of white stuff up there this week, so it's time for your proper report.

How were they??? Huh, huh, huh??? Inquiring minds want to know! :D

Cheers,

Tim G (wishing he had WR G2's)

are these both asymmetrical and directional??? they look that way, so you need right and left ones?????

They simply show outside and inside label on the tire for the mounting folks. I did not see any directional arrows.

I just joined the Nokian WR G2 crowd today. The first 30 miles they just sound different than the stock RE92a's and handling seemed good. I did not push as I want them to wear in properly. Tomorrow expecting 4"-7" of wet snow so I will see how they fair. I imagine well as this is the third generation of this tire line I have owned and all have been good. Nokian NRW->Nokian WR->Nokian WR G2(current)

My wife was a bit shocked at the price of $716 installed but I guess used to $400+/set on her previous Civic.

They simply show outside and inside label on the tire for the mounting folks. I did not see any directional arrows.

I just joined the Nokian WR G2 crowd today. The first 30 miles they just sound different than the stock RE92a's and handling seemed good. I did not push as I want them to wear in properly. Tomorrow expecting 4"-7" of wet snow so I will see how they fair. I imagine well as this is the third generation of this tire line I have owned and all have been good. Nokian NRW->Nokian WR->Nokian WR G2(current)

My wife was a bit shocked at the price of $716 installed but I guess used to $400+/set on her previous Civic.

Where did you buy them?

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Where did you buy them?

John & Son's in Manchester which was $35/tire cheaper than next equidistant dealer in Portsmouth NH. I like the place as they are tiny but beyond efficient.

I took them out this AM in 3"+ of snow(still going) last night. Beyond happy with the performance :) They seem as good(maybe better) as previous Nokian NRW and WR's I have owned in the conditions and possibly better in slushy stuff. No slippage on packed plowed roads even with 4000RPM shifts.

All said very :)

Johns rocks for Nokians, although they are not as competitive on some of the mainstream brands. There's a dealer in Amherst, NH who seems to come close. Anyone recommend a dealer in MA?

I've purchased two sets of RSI's, three sets of WR's, and brought three friends there for WR's as well: one Outback, one Legacy GT, and a Pacifica. The WR and new WRG2 might be the ideal tire for New England.

Johns & Sons Tires

541 Amory St, Manchester, NH

(603) 627-1585

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I know on NASIOC's NESIC Clinton Tire in Clinton MA for Nokian gets mentioned a lot. However it seems like a drive North would be worth it given the sales tax on this relatively large ticket item.

Sales tax on $716: $35.80. Current IRS rate/mile: $0.485/mile.

So if your car costs what the IRS says it costs for incremental miles, it's worth driving no more than 73 miles to save the tax. I have an office in Manchvegas, which is how I found them in the first place.

Out of curiosity I called Clinton Tire, and they quoted $208 each mounted and balanced, for a total of $832, so you could tow your Subaru up with a Hummer and still be ahead.....

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Owentt - good to hear these hold-up well at high speeds. Wrong time of the year to ask - but still wondering how these hold up in the summer and dry time of year.

California has all the extremes, desert, mountains, etc.

Owentt - good to hear these hold-up well at high speeds. Wrong time of the year to ask - but still wondering how these hold up in the summer and dry time of year.

California has all the extremes, desert, mountains, etc.

My wife has had hers (WR's not G2) for 1 1/2 years and they've been great. Although we don't get the extreme heat you do - high 90's for a few days would be tops around here.

But you should expect snow traction to be diminished at 5/32nd or 6/32n tread remaining, as on any other tire.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• 2 weeks later...

Got a chance today and yesterday with winter conditions to really run Nokian WR G2's through there winter paces. The tires really excels in slush as advertised, I had no issue getting in 3"+ deep of heavy snow/slush in the a side lane that disappeared going 45MPH. I was in full control with good steering albeit gentle on my part.

In snow from 1" of pack on road to 6"+ no issues. They work in winter. On dry days they are on par with RE92's if not better in the dry.

My only negative on the tires is they rumble a bit. They are quieter than RE92s but have a low volume rumble. The RE92's emit a white noise that is louder for sure.

I am very happy for the winter. Hope its the same for summer.

• 4 months later...

Nokian WR G2 update.

I am very happy with warm weather(70F+) performance on dry & wet. Hard to compare directly but I really have not noticed an immense difference between 16" RE960's on my WRX & WR G2's on LGT with one exception. The WR G2's still make a bit of noise that is not white noise but a bit of roar.

Besides the noise compromise I am 100% happy with tire in warm weather & elated with the LGT feeling safe/confident in winter.

I'm getting ready to take mine off and get something new for the summer months... Nokian had impressed me with the quality of the G2. Maybe the Nokian Z would be nice for summer. New rims, new tires for the summer... yea baby :wub:

• 1 month later...

BTW, I just noticed the WR G2 now comes in stock OB size of 225/55R17, at least according to tiresbyweb.com. I'll be eyeing these WR G2s for our 08 OB once my wife gets sick of them in the winter. We'll run them all year.

--Lee

• 5 months later...
Just goy my stock sized WRG2 installed yesterday, hours ahead of the snow.

About on-par with the WR but a bit quieter.

I found that in the slush/show/ice mix the car crabwalks a bit more than I feel comfortable with. I think the tire could do with a bit more siping too.

Good for the occasional snowfall we get here, but I wouldn't traverse the rockies with them in the winter :lol:

Are you saying WRG2 perform worse than your former WR?

Brand-new tires are usually a bit squirrelly due to the mold release agents. I wouldn't judge them so soon.

I will be very curious to see how you like them after the winter. Our OB 2.5i will likely end up on WR or WRG2 once the lovely RE92As degrade a bit more, most likely before next winter. I run separate winters (RSi) and summers (F1A) on my LGT, but we don't want to do the same on the OB.

--Lee

Brand-new tires are usually a bit squirrelly due to the mold release agents. I wouldn't judge them so soon.

+1.

Don't be so hard on them just yet, sebberry. :) Give them some miles.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ No, no, I don't think you're being picky - by all accounts, the G2s should've been better than the WR....

How's tire pressure?

And to be totally honest, I'd give them more than 100 miles. I really didn't see my 3Ds come into their own until about 300 miles in. I still remember, thinking at the 100 mile mark, that the 3Ds capabilities might have been overblown. By mile 400, I was amazed at how much difference there was, over any all-seasons I've ever had.

We're about 80 miles in to my wife's new set of Xi2s, and right now, I'd say that they're just a bit better than my 3Ds, but, again, are nothing special. I'm thinking (and hoping) that in another couple of hundred miles, they'll be a night-and-day difference.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I got the G2's on my WRX.

They are still selling WR's in the US but don't list them elsewhere. The WR's have a treadwear rating: the new WR G2's do not. The G2's just say WR on the sidewall but the difference in tread is obvious.

Johns & Sons is getting around $180 per tire mounted and balanced for the LGT size, a co-worker just got a set as well.

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/421281831_EfcC5-L.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived