LegacyGT.com

act clutch and flywheel

kiyanichenko

I have been nursing my OEM clutch now for at least 5K and need to replace it sooner rather than later.

This might be a silly question, but here we go...

I have a flywheel from a 2.5RS sitting in my garage. Can I use this flywheel with the ACT HD clutch?? I guess the real question is, are N/A flywheel's the same as a WRX (2006-2007) flywheel??

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

I have the same exact setup as you and the accompanying issues. I've simply changed my driving style/launch and all is well for the most part. :)

Do you happen to have a harder Tranny, Engine, Pitch Stop with your setup?

I know at low rpm with a lot of load on the tranny, it makes a pretty big sound.

I do change my driving style so that the sound is not too loud by avoiding to do flat foot 3rd,4th,5th,6th at low rpm.

However, I'm thinking that if I swap the pitch stop with a stock one, maybe the sound might be lessened.

It's like driving a bike with aftermarket exhaust at a certain resonance.

I know your ride bike so maybe this might be a better way of explaining it.

You get off the bike and your hearing is slightly more deaf than normal.

If you get that deafening sound with your car, there is something wrong!! :eek:

I guess I can tolerate it but I think swapping the pitch stop might be the best option for me.

What I'm referring to is "chatter" at low-speed street/normal launch not some other strange noise clunk or whatever. Whereas the OEM clutch was light, forgiving and able to chatter-free launch just about at any RPM, our setup requires a much narrower range for that type of driving (not talking about strip/autox/performance launches).

Basically, if the car is somewhat cold, to avoid chatter, I launch at 1500 - 1900 rpm, light gas, and a relatively quick slip (1 - 2 seconds maybe). Anything lower RPM or slightly longer on letting up on the clutch will make chatter. When the car is warm, I can do the same plus launch at really low rpm (on flat or better street) from let's say 900 - 1300 rpm with a 1.5 - 2.5 second (guessing here) lift of the clutch.

I don't know about any deafening sound - sorry. There is some mechanical or installation issue with your setup I'm guessing (loose bolts, warped FW, don't know). Have it checked out. The chatter I speak of is only at launch and again I've learned to avoid it. I don't have any issues now nor when rowing through gears.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

What I'm referring to is "chatter" at low-speed street/normal launch not some other strange noise clunk or whatever. Whereas the OEM clutch was light, forgiving and able to chatter-free launch just about at any RPM, our setup requires a much narrower range for that type of driving (not talking about strip/autox/performance launches).

Basically, if the car is somewhat cold, to avoid chatter, I launch at 1500 - 1900 rpm, light gas, and a relatively quick slip (1 - 2 seconds maybe). Anything lower RPM or slightly longer on letting up on the clutch will make chatter. When the car is warm, I can do the same plus launch at really low rpm (on flat or better street) from let's say 900 - 1300 rpm with a 1.5 - 2.5 second (guessing here) lift of the clutch.

I don't know about any deafening sound - sorry. There is some mechanical or installation issue with your setup I'm guessing (loose bolts, warped FW, don't know). Have it checked out. The chatter I speak of is only at launch and again I've learned to avoid it. I don't have any issues now nor when rowing through gears.

Thanks for the info, I pretty much narrowed the problem down with your explanation.

I have no problem launching without chatter so that's not the issue.

So I am gonna think that it has to be the Pitch Stop (or Engine Mounts, Tranny Mounts).

I will diagnose it and see what happens.

I do a little different launch than you but everyone got a different tactics!

Thanks for your input.

...I have a flywheel from a 2.5RS sitting in my garage. Can I use this flywheel with the ACT HD clutch?? I guess the real question is, are N/A flywheel's the same as a WRX (2006-2007) flywheel??

Bump. Anyone??

Urfsin - Just my .02, but I very highly doubt you can use the 2.5RS flywheel in the LGT, but I really don't know.

Others -

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way you get "chatter" on deceleration (in gear, mind you) is if your clutch is somehow slipping against the flywheel when you let off the gas, or you've got a loose part somewhere. Otherwise, there is no reason for chatter to occur during an in-gear deceleration.

For those who have talked about the WRX Flywheel, I believe it is the exact same flywheel used in the 2007+ Legacy GT (single-mass flywheel). So that flywheel should not be causing any new chatter. If you experience chatter after a clutch install with that flywheel, I'm guessing it's either the clutch or something not installed right.

One thing I'd pose to the group is: It appears we can use a 06+ WRX flywheel and a 09+ WRX clutch in our cars. Does anyone know if the 09+ WRX clutch has a higher torque rating, due to the nature of that car and it's greater propensity of being tuned (in comparison to our cars)?

OK, after a lot of research it looks like the RS flywheel will work, but it is FAR from ideal.

So now I am down to 3 choices...

1. WRX fly + ACT HDMM clutch (420 Ft/lbs)

2. WRX fly + South Bend stage 3 clutch (450 ft/lbs)

3. OEM fly + Spec Stage one clutch (410 ft/lbs)

If I am going to pony up and get a WRX flywheel, I am leaning toward the South Bend clutch. I mean these guys are big in the turbo diesel scene and if you can make a clutch for those guys producing MONSTER tq, then they can make a clutch for a modded Subie.

If I stay with my OEM flywheel, Spec is the only choice that I know of. Anyone here use a Spec stage one clutch?? Good?? Bad?? What say you.

I just bought combo #1 in your list, because most people have said that the pedal feel is close to stock. I guess many people have had good experience with this setup under power, so I don't doubt the holding capacity. (My stocker is slipping under stage-2, when I do a hard start or something).

So, just be aware of pedal feel if you go to a different brand clutch...

I think my clutch will see its last winter this year, and I'd like to get a clutch setup before there aren't anymore after market options.

Is there any real difference between the HDMM and the 6-puck HDG6? I'm running a blouch 20g and making about 350whp right now, and do occasional auto-x.

So the consenus is that the ACT Modified Street Disc w/WRX FW is not prone to "chatter"? What exactly is this chatter you all speak of? :lol:

It sounds like something is loose and rattling. Only happens on decel. Looks like it isn't happening to everyone so you can try taking a chance. Don't say you haven't been warned though.

Warren

Updating from: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105571&page=2

----

I'm definitely not feeling any chatter or getting any rattling noise on decel - currently 350 miles or so on the ACT SB5-HDMM plus '06/'07 WRX fly combo.

Occasionally still a little abrupt going up into 2nd, but I've gotten a lot better. Same goes for the 3-to-2 heel-and-toe. This is pure technique, or lack thereof :redface: , for me.

Now minimal chatter starting off in first, even in tight parking maneuvers. Slight chatter in low-speed reverse.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

TSi, how would you describe the "chatter"? Is it a rubbing sound? A clicking? The stock clutch doesn't really seem to make any noise so I'm trying to figure out what to expect...
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

There's really no sound - it's felt, like all other chatter I've ever experienced. I'm not really getting any audible noise.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived