LegacyGT.com

Top Tier Gas

I was wondering what was people's general idea about TTG. Since FHI was controlled by GM and now has Toyota in the mix and both Toyota & GM are partners w/the TTG program, doesnt that mean that us Subby owners should be filling up w/TTG too?

Or is this all just a marketing gimmick by the top grass of all these companys?

http://www.toptiergas.com/

Why wouldn't you use Top Tier gas? Besides, not like you have to look hard to find it. Hell, its harder to find stuff that isn't Top Tier.

I don't have any Top Tier gas stations near me.

Have: BP, Sunoco, Exxon, Lukoil and Hess. Used to have a couple Texacos around here, but they closed a few years ago.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Its like drinking bottled water, they all do the same thing its just personal preference. I have owned all my previous vehicles to 200k+ and never experienced a single fuel related problem on any of them.

My experience from college as convenience store worker part-time is off-brand stations is that they use the ends of tankers of premium/top tier brand fuel. Basically trucks did not want to return to boston(fuel depot) partially full so they sold the fuel to our off-brand station at a cut rate.

I have seen first hand while tuning the difference Shell 93oct offers over BP. There is a difference, is it a seat of the pants thing??

Not @ all but there is a difference.

On a stock car run any of the pisswater they call 91-93oct. If you have a LGT and run 87oct....:rolleyes:

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

I have never put anything greater than 87 grade gas in my GT and never had any issues. I am also enjoying saving 20 to 30 cents per gallon.

You must hate your GT, or you're a total cheapskate. You say you enjoy saving 20-30cents a gallon which translates to 3-4 dollars every 250 miles. I guess that means you can go buy yourself an extra Latte once a week. Your GT REQUIRES Premium fuel to run correctly or it's going to cut timing as much as it can so the engine doesn't grenade on you. You're running around with a ticking time bomb. MAN UP and spend the extra Latte a tank. You drive a Legacy GT. You can afford it.

I have never put anything greater than 87 grade gas in my GT and never had any issues. I am also enjoying saving 20 to 30 cents per gallon.

:eek:

As much as you probably spent on an LGT, you can't spend $3-4 to put the correct fuel in?

You must hate your GT, or you're a total cheapskate. You say you enjoy saving 20-30cents a gallon which translates to 3-4 dollars every 250 miles. I guess that means you can go buy yourself an extra Latte once a week. Your GT REQUIRES Premium fuel to run correctly or it's going to cut timing as much as it can so the engine doesn't grenade on you. You're running around with a ticking time bomb. MAN UP and spend the extra Latte a tank. You drive a Legacy GT. You can afford it.

+ 91, 92, 93, 94 (depending on region)

Besides, the price spread between regular and premium has never been smaller.

The car performs just fine with 87 grade of gas in it. If I felt using 87 was causing issues with the engine, I would put the more expensive gas in the car because I can alway cut back on my lattes to pay the extra $4. I have been driving the car for a year now and the performance is great. It is a great car to drive and I have not experienced any knocking whatsoever which is the potential issue of using lower grade gas in an engine that "requires" premium.

I do appreciate the nice feedback on my previous statement though :-)

The car performs just fine with 87 grade of gas in it. If I felt using 87 was causing issues with the engine, I would put the more expensive gas in the car because I can alway cut back on my lattes to pay the extra $4. I have been driving the car for a year now and the performance is great. It is a great car to drive and I have not experienced any knocking whatsoever which is the potential issue of using lower grade gas in an engine that "requires" premium.

I can guarantee that your car does not perform as well with 87 octane as 91. I've never understood people who buy a $27,000 car with a performance engine and can't spend an extra $3.00 per fillup.

I'm not wrong my friend, you are seriously cutting the life of your engine down by doing this and you are figuratively slapping all of us with GT's in the face by telling us this and then defending it. Look behind your gas cap. There is a big sticker there that says "PREMIUM UNLEADED FUEL ONLY". Subaru did not put that sticker there just to make you spend more money. They put it there so THEY wouldn't have to spend more money replacing your engine. In all seriousness, start putting Super in that car. It requires it for a reason. Regular unleaded fuel ignites too easily and will detonate (ie: knock) early with all the extra oxygen and pressure in the cylinder chamber. Premium has a much higher detonation threshold and will ignite at the appropriate point on the piston stroke and therefore not damage your piston head and valves. If you enjoy your car like you say, please run the correct fuel from now on or you won't enjoy it for very long.

^ It's probably too late already. Knock is like overheating. By that I mean once it's happened the damage has been done. Running it for a year on 87 means that knock has probably been detected numerous times.

PS Don't forget to add damage to the rods and crankshaft.

Thanks for all the feedback. I did a little more reading today on this issue after all of these comments and I am going to make the switch and cut back on Latte's. I may have done some damage to the engine this past year (possibly) but I don't tend to keep cars long enough to find that out so hopefully I will not pay for that decision. I guess my logic was a little off on the whole octane thing.

Thanks for all the feedback. I actually learned something today!

Archived