LegacyGT.com

Top Tier Gas

Thanks for all the feedback. I did a little more reading today on this issue after all of these comments and I am going to make the switch and cut back on Latte's. I may have done some damage to the engine this past year (possibly) but I don't tend to keep cars long enough to find that out so hopefully I will not pay for that decision. I guess my logic was a little off on the whole octane thing.

Thanks for all the feedback. I actually learned something today!

ouch, if well yeah that would be a good thing, else someone else purchases your car that you don't very good car of.

But i guess the general opinion of people, that TTG is actually worth the extra 10 cents of so, compared to cheap or not TTG.

Cool! I know it's a hard welcome, but welcome to the site and please don't hate me for being so blunt. Sorry about that. Most of us on here are just passionate about our cars. Hopefully this doesn't scare you away because there is a TON of stuff you can learn about your car on this site by just browsing around. You'll probably make some friends along the way too.

Cool! I know it's a hard welcome, but welcome to the site and please don't hate me for being so blunt. Sorry about that. Most of us on here are just passionate about our cars. Hopefully this doesn't scare you away because there is a TON of stuff you can learn about your car on this site by just browsing around. You'll probably make some friends along the way too.

No offense taken. I appreciate the knowledge and it is definitely clear that you are all passionate about these cars which is a good thing! I enjoy my LGT and didn't realize the potential damage I was causing so now the problem is solved!

There is no such thing here in the North East.

All of our fuel is generic, meaning all the fuel comes up the same pipeline and is mixed. The oil companys "buy" time on the pipeline. When it is distributed among carriers the Exxon's and Sunoco's put their own additives in which is really the only thing that is unique about the gas. The additives.

Thanks for all the feedback. I did a little more reading today on this issue after all of these comments and I am going to make the switch and cut back on Latte's. I may have done some damage to the engine this past year (possibly) but I don't tend to keep cars long enough to find that out so hopefully I will not pay for that decision. I guess my logic was a little off on the whole octane thing.

Thanks for all the feedback. I actually learned something today!

I hope you tell the future owner of this car that you've been running 87 Octane in it for over a year now.

All of our fuel is generic, meaning all the fuel comes up the same pipeline and is mixed. The oil companys "buy" time on the pipeline. When it is distributed among carriers the Exxon's and Sunoco's put their own additives in which is really the only thing that is unique about the gas. The additives.

There's many different type of gas. Different weight hydrocarbons are produced separately and mixed before they go down the pipeline. There's conventional with 7 and 9 lbs rvp versions, mtbe containing gas (no longer sold, afaik), reformulated with summer and winter versions. There's high and low octane versions of each.

Going into the truck, there's more varieties blended at the loading rack. There's the time right after summer when some terminals are allowed to mix butane with summer gas to make winter gas (butane is cheaper than gas). Then there's ethanol blends (10% by volume).

Then there's additives. There's generic (which is sometimes a brand additive, just at a lower treat rate), and every big companys' own additive.

However, within the same region and season, it's correct that the only difference between brands is the additive.

Archived