LegacyGT.com

Cool Article about the 05 SCCA wagons floating around still.. :)

I have an oil temp gauge and alarm, and a sender. The sender is not plugged into the block, where do folks normally screw in the oil temp sender?

Mine is just at the oil filter. It gets scary hot sometimes on the track. It is one of the biggest concerns of LGTs on the track as far as I'm concerned. Oil temps seem to be more of an issue with turbo motors.

Mine is just at the oil filter. It gets scary hot sometimes on the track. It is one of the biggest concerns of LGTs on the track as far as I'm concerned. Oil temps seem to be more of an issue with turbo motors.

Now that I have the oil cooler system back in, I have the temp sender in a T on the lines going to the cooler, just like before. I'll know Saturday during the Enduro how well it works with cooler in the old battery tray location and fed by the duct. Once I put the heat extractor hood on it "should" work even better.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

The new oil cooler worked great! Oil temps were 220-230 even after a solid hour of endurance racing. And the water temps were even better. I did a lot of work ducting and sealing around the FMIC and Radiator which paid off, water temps in the 180s throughout the race!

Diff temps were good too, 150-180.

Not so good was the transmission, it was 230+, spiking to 246. The center VLSD must create a lot of heat when it's working hard. 246 is not too bad, but it was a relatively cool day. Next summer I want to see more cooling capability on the 100 degree days.

That will be partly solved soon by swapping in a 6 Speed + R180. To make sure it stays in good shape I'll be running a NACA duct from the rear passenger window down to a hole in the floor to feed air to the diff/tranny cooler under the car.

So if you want to cool your daily driver/ track car down all you have to do is hang an oil cooler in the space behind the driver side bumper and cut a NACA duct into your front fender. :eek:

A couple of Paddock pics, video up next week.

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc359/MS6Hayate/TheRidge2014b.jpg...http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc359/MS6Hayate/TheRidge2014cc.jpg..http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc359/MS6Hayate/TheRidge2014aa.jpg

The red Miata #721 next to me in the first pic is for sale. It's a nice car if anyone is interested in a turn key race car in the NW. The owner bought another one with a more expensive race built engine. This one runs fine.

The car is at our sponsor, Subaru of Bend, getting the 6 speed swap done. One pleasant surprise was the clutch in the 5 speed was in excellent shape and is a Carbonetics twin ceramic disk unit. Very Nice! I'm saving the LGT 5 speed and the Carbonetics clutch/flywheel for a future 818 project.

Meanwhile in my shop the work on the heat extractor hood is moving along nicely. The holes are cut. I'll have to wait till the car comes back from the shop to fit the aero catch hood release pins. Then it's just a little buffing and a trip to Driving Force Graphics for the blue stripes, numbers, and sponsor stickers.

20140928_221047.jpg

The splitter is cut out of Alumalite and ready to mock up too. It will require some fabrication work for the brackets and air dam.

The goal is to get the splitter/front air dam installed before the NW Enduro Championship race on October 18th at PIR. And possibly the new hood too.

Do you ever come down to Ca to race? or are all the races in Oregon / Washington?

I was hoping to come down to Sonoma or Thunderhill but never made it this year, maybe next year.

There's a bunch of us thinking about putting together a team for the 25 hours of Thunderhill......

If you do that let us know I'm sure you'd get a few volunteers to help you out.

Thanks for offering! The 25 Hour is very expensive to compete in so we'll have to see. I calculated we'd burn about $6,000 in race gas alone! Then there's brake pads, rotors, and everything that inevitably breaks.

I'll probably volunteer myself at least once just to get the experience of what a team needs to do, then come back the next year with a our own team. I've watched a documentary produced by a friend/fellow driver, who followed two teams last year. It's pretty amazing the work involved.

If you're interested here's Colins's vimeo. I think he did a great job putting it together. http://vimeo.com/83070380:

I made progress on the hood tonight and the car is back from the shop. Tomorrow or Thursday I hope to get the hood fitted and aero catch pins installed. I will post up pics when that's done, but before the graphics are applied.

you can buy it in 5, 10, 25, 55 gallon containers. However, it has a short shelf life, so you tend to buy the amount you need. http://www.vpracingfuels.com/page469663.html for one source

I once did a track day in the wagon and decided track time was more important than spending 30 minutes to drive to costco for cheap gas. At day's end, I had spent $300 for 30 gallons of gas. OTOH, I had ~6 hours of track time.

Every track has different gas burn rates, all dependent on how much time you spend at WOT.

My car burns some tracks at 4 mins/gallon, some 4.5 mins, and some tracks 5 mins.

The cheapest race gas is retail pump Premium, then I buy 5 gallon pails of Torco Accelerator and mix up my own batches 5 to 10 gallons at a time.

And yes, if I buy real Torco or VP race fuels, the cost gets very expensive.

Besides the 25 hours, I figure we'd need an 4-8 hour practice session to get all the drivers comfortable with the car.

6 hour practice + 25 hour race = 31 hours x 60 mins = 1,860 mins / 4 mins = 465 gallons x $7.50 gal = $3500. $4650 for $10 race gas.

$6,000 is too high just for race gas....but then there's diesel fuel for the tow rig, gas for auxiliary tow/equipment vehicles and generators.

Then of course all the tires that we'd go thru, I'm guessing at least 3 sets, at $1,200/set. 3 sets of front brake pads, maybe one set of rears.

This is all just conjecture, I've never done a 25 hour race (just 8 hour Chump Car racing) so I'm guesstimating. Which is why I need to get on another team first before I think about taking my car down!

Well there went every shred of desire to get into racing cars.. At least three sets of tires for one race, and over $6k in gas, f*** that!

I'll gladly sit back and read about it though :)

Big boy toys.

Btw, irdc voted to hold a 6 hour enduro next spring at the ridge. Entry fee per team could be as low as $800

Finished up the hood today, except for the graphics. I'm pretty happy with the end results.:

The final cut holes, fabricated an aluminum cross piece to bolt the front of the main extractor vent, painted the raw and cut aluminum black:

025.JPG

Side by Side Comparison:

019.JPG

Installed with hood pins:

027.JPG

028.JPG

029.JPG

If I could have, I would have moved the two smaller vents laterally closer to the side of the hood. But the way the hood is designed that would have meant cutting thru the two main reinforceing channels, so I re-located them more centrally.

I was going to use Aero Catch hood pins but I wasn't sure I could make them work correctly, so after an hour of futzzing around with them I just used new Sparco hood pins exactly like the originals from 2006. They are very easy to install, particularly if you rivet them.

Next up, the splitter!