LegacyGT.com

Brake Chatter Anyone?

NeedMoreBoost

Saturday night I went out to a bar with a few buddies and wound up getting smashed. My friend thought this would be the perfect opportunity to test-drive my car being that he was OK to drive. So during some spirited driving on the way home (120MPH), we exited off the highway and he broke rather hard because of the short exit ramp and my car shook as if my rotors were warped. :eek: This never happened before so I was quite surprised but then again my friend's foot is heavier than mine. Anyone else experience this? Anyone know why this might be happening and how to resolve this? :confused: I have a 05' Legacy GT, Manual Transmission.

Guest *Jedimaster*
They might have gotten a bit cooked if you stopped that fast from that speed. Ever see a car do that? At night, the brakes glow red! :eek:

[quote name='mmm def']Where in NJ are you? I'm in Chatham.[/QUOTE] I'm in East Brunswick (Exit 9 on NJTP) Definitely wasn't the ABS, I got the ABS to go off in some wet weather before. This is the one and only time this happened and my brakes feel fine now, no vibration or anything like that.

When I am driving hard and my brakes get hot they seem to shake some as well. The rotors look fine, no grooves or anything. I am not really sure what it is, but it only takes 2-3 good hard stops, like 70-30 to get them to start feeling wierd. Maybe its the pads.

Driving at 120 MPH? I'm not so sure he was OK to drive! Are you sure this wasn't just ABS kicking in? The ABS on these cars actually allows the tires to lock-up before releasing, so I'm sure that would cause a noticeable judder if you activated ABS from that speed.

I've experienced something similar once, when I first got my WRX, and was getting off a ramp at around 70MPH. It was a very sharp exit (in Massachusettes), and I was on crappy Yokohama Paradas at that time. I think the sound was made because I was also trying to turn, and at lock-up the tires simply skipped somewhat sideways. Never had that again with proper tires and proper braking technique, and I do trail-brake into turns on a race track.

[quote name='sduford']Driving at 120 MPH? I'm not so sure he was OK to drive! [/QUOTE] [quote name='Beanboy']Was it dry out? That plus the additional weight in car might cause a big difference in how heavy braking sounds with ABS engaged. -B[/QUOTE] 1) RELAX guys, he wasn't drinking. ;) 2) Yes it was dry out. 3) We weren't braking to avoid skidding off the road or hitting anything just a short ramp. My friend goes club/scca racing with his car so he was just "TESTING" the car out, I just included that I was smashed and thats why he was driving in the first place.

Not to be too much of a judge, but 140 on a public highway? Warped rotors should be the least of your worries. Trucks, or granny out for a drive, or cell phone drivin, left lane hogs. I'd be mortified of a 70mph closing speed on people going the same direction. I do have to compliment you on having a Miata turbo, though. I wish mine were turbocharged.

[quote name='NeedMoreBoost']1) RELAX guys, he wasn't drinking. ;) 2) Yes it was dry out. 3) We weren't braking to avoid skidding off the road or hitting anything just a short ramp. My friend goes club/scca racing with his car so he was just "TESTING" the car out, I just included that I was smashed and thats why he was driving in the first place.[/QUOTE] Still, 120 MPH on a public highway is not smart at all, in fact it's downright stupid. I'm hoping you are around 20 years old? I remember when I was young and foolish myself. Looking back on those days, it's a wonder I didn't kill myself, or anyone else. But I smartened up by the time I was about 24. There was a young guy here in Montreal last year who was trying to impress three girls with his 911, he hit a pothole at over 100 Mph, lost control, and killed himself along with two of the three girls. Use your head.

I've experienced the same thing. I thought WTF is wrong with these brakes. No biggie, as soon as I stomped romping on it and slowed to normal speeds all the shudder went away. I was under the opinion that the brakes would be much better, but they actually work just fine. Just drive it! Bruce

[url="http://www.racingmazda.com"]www.racingmazda.com[/url] has the best kit for most power in a "stock" miata with a turbo setup on the market.... the only reason ill ever go 140+ is because the road is empty and its all highway...i work long hours, gotta let it rip once in a while... im 24....and yes i do think going that fast is stupid, as long as the highway isnt crowded ill do it

Yup warped rotors, as others have said. I had the same problem with my WRX. Routine high speed stops tends to warp them quickly. My REX has the same problem at 120mph hard stops and the breaks would warp. but they seemed fine at 70mph. Whats the big deal about going 120mph? Has the insurance industry so brainwashed people with speed kills that everyone is afraid of creeping 1 mph over the speed limit. Give me a break in several countries people drive at those speeds legally and safely.

[quote name='rottenspam']Yup warped rotors, as others have said. I had the same problem with my WRX. Routine high speed stops tends to warp them quickly. My REX has the same problem at 120mph hard stops and the breaks would warp. but they seemed fine at 70mph. Whats the big deal about going 120mph? Has the insurance industry so brainwashed people with speed kills that everyone is afraid of creeping 1 mph over the speed limit. Give me a break in several countries people drive at those speeds legally and safely.[/QUOTE] :eek: +60 MPH is not equal to +1 MPH... People in other countries are used to going those speeds and realize that other people might fly by at 120 MPH. I bet most drivers traveling in the right lane here don't expect someone to pass on the left at 120 MPH.. Don't want to argue about it but just saying.. If the brake rotors were cross drilled would that help cooling at all?

Archived