LegacyGT.com

Z-Chain fitted - works great!

Earlier I had asked a bunch of you to help me decide on which snow cables would work best, and the consensus was the Z-Chain. I just received mine and installed them, but nobody was able to tell me front, or rear.

Well, after first attempting the rear, I found the suspension components to get in the way and not allow the connecters to reach. When trialing the Z-Chain on the front wheels, it worked perfectly, and after driving a couple feet, the slack came in and I could cinch it down nicely.

So there you go - front tires, Z-Chain for anybody else wondering as the snow season nears. I guess the next thing will be to see if I actually need to use them when approaching a CHP checkpoint, or if I'll pass on through as most of you say I should. :p

you don't need chains to get through a CHP checkpoint, they won't even look at you in a Subaru. you only really need chains for ice, the roads are plowed so well in CA it's not an issue 99% of the time.

you don't need chains to get through a CHP checkpoint, they won't even look at you in a Subaru. you only really need chains for ice, the roads are plowed so well in CA it's not an issue 99% of the time.

I can guarantee you that every season for the past few years when heading up the mountain, I've been in a variety of vehicles with 4-wheel drive, off-road terrain tires, etc. and they've all needed to install chains when passing a CHP checkpoint during storms. Yes, the roads do get plowed quickly, but if you are traveling in the midst of a storm, this is going to be a necessary precaution, if not at least simply to have them available as law requires. :spin:

Chains never go on front wheels only.

Rear ends swings around when you brake.

An AWD or 4x4 should have chains on all 4 or none.

According to The History Channel..... California mountain passes require chains on 2wd but not AWD or 4X4 with snowflake rated tires.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Chains never go on front wheels only.

Rear ends swings around when you brake.

An AWD or 4x4 should have chains on all 4 or none.

According to The History Channel..... California mountain passes require chains on 2wd but not AWD or 4X4 with snowflake rated tires.

*Chuckle* - I love being right. After your comment I reviewed my (Subaru) owner's manual, and it does in fact state to put the SAE class S type chains on the front wheels only. How about that? :lol:

Oh, and in regards to passes through CHP checkpoints, well, here's the thing - they have 3 different levels of restriction with the final being chains required on ALL vehicles, regardless of tires or drivetrain components. :lol:

I thought the manual said don't put on chains... :iam:

Don't put on CHAINS, as in linked chains. Approved cables are perfectly acceptable because they have clearance and don't interfere with suspension. I know, I had to figure out the difference in verbage to accurately describe what I wanted.

The reasons not to put them on the front wheels only are for braking...which doesn't matter what kind of drive system you have.

Hit the brakes too hard with chains on front wheels only and you'll be driving backwards before you even know what happened.

You're better off without them then only on front wheels.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

You're better off without them then only on front wheels.

I disagree with you completely - and I'll keep responding to your unsubstantiated opinions as it could affect people's opinion and risk lives when driving in snowy weather.

To all others, again, go with: 1) approved cables, and 2) front wheels only as per Subaru owner's manual. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, and it's "than", not "then".

Thanks for the engrish lesson, but these aren't unsubstantial opinions.

everything I have said is FACT.

you will spin around backwards and you will most likely overheat the center diff

if the weather is so bad that they issue an R3 resctriction, you probly shouldn't be out anyways

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I drove through a drift up to my side view mirrors once. Had to back up and plow through 3 times, but I got through. On snows.

If it were icy enough that I actaully NEEDED chains..I'd be 100 times more worried about some jackass hitting me, than I would of losing control myself. Actaully, I feel that way anytime I'm on the road in any conditions.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Snow Tires+ Subaru= Snowmobile...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUNhn6_1nyo]YouTube - Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive on snow![/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJNmGeL7ZpQ]YouTube - Subaru WRX[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFkR1j9v6ek]YouTube - Subarus in the winter time.[/ame]

Chains would probably cause more trouble than its worth.

I agree with the assessment of front snow chain= 180. Such a dynamic diffrence in traction WILL cause the car to loop under decelleration. The people at subaru must be smoking drugs. The engineering dept needs to consult the driving dynamics dept on that one.

Archived