LegacyGT.com

whistling noise from front wheel??

While I drive for about few min, I start hearing this whistling sound. Its not louse but sounds more like low toned screeching noise. I check the brake pads and they look ok. Nothing seems to be wrong.

Anyone else have this kind of a problem?? Its there only when the car is moving.

I have a noise that seems very similar to yours. It is intermittent in that some days it will do it and some days it wont. If it is one of the noisy days then it is screeching whenever the car is moving. I have had SOA check the bearing and I have checked it myself using the procedure in the vaca pix and an inspection-quality dial indicator, there was negligable play in the bearing and certainly far less than the spec.

If a bearing was wearing enough to make that noise, my guess is it would fail rather quickly and it definitely wouldnt go away for a few days and then return.

SOA cited reasons (3 seperate trips):

1. Cleaned and lubed brakes (pad backing and caliper pins)

2. No noise/problems found

3. Normal rust build-up

I still don't get what part of the bearing could be making that noise. Wheel bearings don't fail slowly, once they've ingested some FM or galled up, they are going to fail quickly. Also, it doesn't make sense that it would come and go and show no signifigant axial play.

What do I need to tell the dealers to get them to replace a bearing that doesn't test as defective?

I replaced my drivers side wheel bearing at around 31K. For whatever reason, they like to go out quickly on our cars.

Note, the sound on mine wasn't constant. It rose and fell with acceleration/braking. If you're having that, it probably is a bearing.

The dealer looked at mine and told me i took too many sharp corners... They said that looking at my scratch on my rims...when it happend wayyy after that incident.

I have yet to pick up the car. But the mechanic seems to be very inexperienced. If the wheels makes that noise cause of the corners, than our cars are not reliable at all. Its only 15k.

What you guys think?

I had mine replaced, even after not being able to reproduce the noise in front of the tech, at around 12k. he replaced it noting that he has seen a couple and heard of more front wheel bearings in Legacys going lately.

I just starting hearing it again yesterday....probably 2k after replacement.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

22K and i've got the same noise intermittently as well. Seems to happen after the car sits for awhile.

Planning on taking it to the dealer and straight up telling them I want it replaced because I know what the problem is, how do you think they will respond? My dealer seems pretty cool but I have yet to deal with any warranty replaced items.

I didn't inspect nor replace it, but I do know it sounds different from other vehicles where I had experience bad bearings. But I do know once it was replaced the noise had gone, pads are an easy inspection and that was easy viewed as not the problem.

Mine's in the shop right now for the same thing, also for a noisy clutch at 12k miles. From what I've heard it's not the bearing itself it's the bearing seal. I will keep you posted with what happens. My clutch has also started to screech when you let out on the clutch. This happens after the car's been sitting and goes away until the next morning after it warms up. :confused:

Archived