LegacyGT.com

Pirelli PZero Nero M&S vs. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

warnoldscu

I have heard a lot about the Pirelli and they get a great dry and snow rating on the tirerack.com website, but when I read all the reviews on the site it seems like they do really well in the snow but aren't particularly good for performance tires. But, I also say the Michelin's which were rated about the same on tirerack, but got great reviews as a performance tire with some people saying it was only OK in the snow. Most of my driving is dry, but I want to be able to drive my car through the mtns. if I need to when it's snowing - any thoughts or even other tire suggestions?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[size=1]This class of tire is a compromise and you will not get either the performance of a full-on summer tire or a dedicated winter tire. You will get solid dry and wet performance and acceptable snow. I have the Pilot A/Ss on an Audi A6 4.2 and Conti Contact Extremes on my Legacy. The Michelin's have much stiffer sidewalls and "feel" more like a high performance tire. The Conti's are better in snow. Once the snow finally comes up here, I'll switch out the Conti's for a full-on winter tire - Nokian Hakka 2s. If you drive hard most of the time, you're probably best off getting a high performance winter tire and a set of summer performance tires. If you want one set of tires for everything, the "ultra high performance" all seasons are a good compromise, but [u]are[/u] a compromise.[/size]

I am looking at the Pirelli's or Kumho Ecsta ASX all-seasons to replace the RE92A's. Seems to make more sense to get the Pirelli's for the extra $100. The reviews look pretty good. I can also get Michelin Pilot or Bredgestone RE950 all-seasons for a similar price through Costco. Any comments about what to choose? I have had good luck with a cheaper set of Kumho's and the P7000's I used to have, so hard to decide.

[quote name='Patagonian GT']I am looking at the Pirelli's or Kumho Ecsta ASX all-seasons to replace the RE92A's. Seems to make more sense to get the Pirelli's for the extra $100. The reviews look pretty good. I can also get Michelin Pilot or Bredgestone RE950 all-seasons for a similar price through Costco. Any comments about what to choose? I have had good luck with a cheaper set of Kumho's and the P7000's I used to have, so hard to decide.[/QUOTE] I’ve been running the Nero M+S for about 1400 miles now. So far they’ve been great in dry and wet conditions, handling grip, and braking. I haven’t driven them in snow yet. The overall feel compared to the re92 is firmer with much more grip. I really don’t think the legacy can take advantage of any more grip than these without suspension upgrades. The sti pink springs are probably my next mod :)

[quote name='Cascade-LGT'][size=1]Check this out:[/size] [url="http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS"][size=1]http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS[/size][/url] [size=1]More fodder for the decision...[/size][/QUOTE] What??? No Bridgestones on the list at all???

[quote name='Gumby']I'm about to buy the Pirelli's, from the research I've done they are the best $100 a piece A/S tyre you can buy.[/QUOTE] Are you generalizing about the price, or can you really find them for $100? The lowest I have found is $116 each before shipping and mounting.

[quote name='Patagonian GT']What??? No Bridgestones on the list at all???[/QUOTE] I don't think Bridgestone makes a tire in this class. The RE92 is in the "high performance" versus "ultra high performance" and is ranked almost dead last. Not sure where RE950 falls...

from Tire Rack: High Performance All-Season Potenza G009 Potenza RE92 Potenza RE950 Guess they really don't make something in that class, though the old P7000SS would have been it (not that those survey results are anything to brag about).

Let us know how they do in the snow. I am thinking about replacing the RE-92s with them, if the RE-92s do not fare well in the snow. Winter storm watch for tommorrow so I think the LGT witht he Potenzas may get her first test tommorrow.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

[quote name='Patagonian GT']Are you generalizing about the price, or can you really find them for $100? The lowest I have found is $116 each before shipping and mounting.[/QUOTE] Sorry, a little misleading , $100 each for my stock WRX rims....

Luke at Tirerack told me the increased center wear is due to people jacking up the tire pressure to make them perform better. Not sure if this is true though... I bought Nokian WR for the winter, and might keep them year round. Cheaper than the Michelin and they have a tread wear warranty.

[quote name='Cascade-LGT']I don't think Bridgestone makes a tire in this class. The RE92 is in the "high performance" versus "ultra high performance" and is ranked almost dead last. Not sure where RE950 falls...[/QUOTE] I'll reprise my role as the RE92 apologist and note that this survey includes ALL RE92s, including the dreadful ones found on WRXs. The 17s on the LGT, while often dissed in this forum, are considerably better.

[quote name='hal9e3']I'll reprise my role as the RE92 apologist and note that this survey includes ALL RE92s, including the dreadful ones found on WRXs. The 17s on the LGT, while often dissed in this forum, are considerably better.[/QUOTE]That's fair - if the tire meets people's need, there's no reason to buy something different.

[quote name='Cascade-LGT']That's fair - if the tire meets people's need, there's no reason to buy something different.[/QUOTE] I would have agreed in the past, until I had to do an emergency stop on wet pavement. Let's just say it wasn't pretty, and that's when I decided I need to get rid of the RE-92s.

[quote name='sduford']I would have agreed in the past, until I had to do an emergency stop on wet pavement. Let's just say it wasn't pretty, and that's when I decided I need to get rid of the RE-92s.[/QUOTE]I had a bad experience with a previous Legacy. That was enough to avoid them on my WRXs and that aversion continued to the '05 GT...wasn't going to wait for problems. Everone's experience can be different though...

[size=1]Its a great area - thanks. I'm lamenting the lack of snow in the mountains. The El Nino produced 4 feet of snow last week followed by up to 6 inches of rain 24 hours later. Crystal Mountain is open with a 12" base - usually around 50" by this time. Oh well, still have the Conti's on which was good for playing with the AP, but I'd much prefer to need the Hakka's right now...[/size]

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='Cascade-LGT']I don't think Bridgestone makes a tire in this class. The RE92 is in the "high performance" versus "ultra high performance" and is ranked almost dead last. Not sure where RE950 falls...[/QUOTE] Looks like Bridgestone has done a bit of upgrading to the RE950 line. They now have a W speed rated version, in addition to the H rated. Pretty pricy though, at $163 each at tirerack.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm using 225/45R17 pilot sport A/S on my LGT, and they kick ass. Not as much grip as I want, but thats going to allways be the case on tires short of hoosiers. Certainly they are bettern in EVERY way than the stock tires. Rides better, quieter, more dry grip, more wet grip, etc.

Archived