LegacyGT.com

need a tune?

mikeyan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will be getting a tune at HB, but need an Invidia or Cobb Catted DP and Mid/Y-Pipe first. Anyone here in SoCal with one in good shape, let me know. I'm scanning the FS forums, but am apparently not catching them in time. If you see something let me know. K-thks

SBT

hey PM me i can hook it up for you

That was 8 months ago, Paul is the tuner now and AFAIK Tim does still come down every so often and group tunes out of Yimi's and a couple other shops as well.

That is correct. Tim is traveling less to spend more time with his family in Portland and due to his time obligations to Cobb. I do all the tuning at Yimi Sport, be it for Subarus, Evos or anything else. Anthony still does come is to do the cars with AEM EMS' since I'm less familiar with that platform, although I'm probably going to go to AEM EMS classes soon as well and get certified by them.

I'd like a tune. All I have is a FMIC, sti uppipe, perrin downpipe and x02 mid and ypipe. Do I need to get a accessport? I rather not. Thanks

You don't NEED an AP as I can certainly tune you with Opensource tools. With an AP you are simply purchasing a useful but not absolutely necessary piece of hardware. If you plan on having multiple maps for different fuels or want to have a nice little handheld map transportation device for any other reason, then having an AP is nice. If you are just planning on have a pump gas map, then tuning with opensource will yield equivalent results. I have tuned LGT's with both opensource and AP. It just depends on what the owner wants/has.

Wait until you have everything in place before paying for a dyno tune.

+1. Proper tuning is a very good idea regardless of your level of modifications, you should really have the hardware combination you plan on running for the foreseeable future in place before coming in for a tune. It's just kind of a waste to pay for a tune for a given combination only to change it a month or two down the line and need another tune.

Boost- It sounds like Opensource tuning may be better for shop turning since the owner wouldn't have a way to store / upload different maps on their own, post-tuning. Is this the case, and if so, the AP sounds like it would be the better way to go, especially if, like you said, the owner wanted to keep/manage multiple or different maps?

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

What's tuning go for these days? Is it strictly an hourly rate or some variation and how much time is usually involved.

SBT

I do all the tuning at Yimi Sport, be it for Subarus, Evos or anything else. Anthony still does come is to do the cars with AEM EMS' since I'm less familiar with that platform, although I'm probably going to go to AEM EMS classes soon as well and get certified by them.

YAWN.......

BTDT .....

*smooches*

What's tuning go for these days? Is it strictly an hourly rate or some variation and how much time is usually involved.

SBT

it varies shop to shop

We are $450 open source/ ecutek

$400 ap (for 2 maps)

$200-250 an hour for everything else

We offer super gas saver maps too!! Either as an ap map or as part of a "flash" tune

Might be worth it for all of those long hauls over to Phoenix and back. Is this similar/better than Cobb's AP "economy" maps?

SBT

Boost- It sounds like Opensource tuning may be better for shop turning since the owner wouldn't have a way to store / upload different maps on their own, post-tuning. Is this the case, and if so, the AP sounds like it would be the better way to go, especially if, like you said, the owner wanted to keep/manage multiple or different maps?

SBT

All it takes for the vehicle owner to take advantage of multiple maps with Opensource is purchasing a Tactrix cable and downloading Ecuflash. I have a customer who was tuned for multiple maps with OS. I gave him all the maps I made for him and he reflashes them on his car as needed.

The AP does the same thing and doesn't require you to own a laptop computer and the process is a bit simpler for the uninitiated. The AP walks you through all the required steps and is basically idiot proof.

If a customer wants multiple maps with opensource and doesn't want to do the reflashing on their own when switching maps, I will happily do it for them at no charge. Of course they will have to come by the shop for me to do that.

SBT

$400 for an OS or AP tune here. That gives you maps based on one fuel.

$100 per additional fuel (ie: a race gas tune or methanol injection tune)

$200/hour for other interfaces.

looking to ditch my AP and get tuned w/ opensource.

hb @ $450

yimi @ $400

any other notables?

my buddies got their evos tuned for around 300 bucks based on one fuel. why are the tunes so expensive???

road tune?

Dyno tunes available as well at a local shop ;)

looking to ditch my AP and get tuned w/ opensource.

hb @ $450

yimi @ $400

any other notables?

my buddies got their evos tuned for around 300 bucks based on one fuel. why are the tunes so expensive???

You are still a couple months off I say to be capable of going opensource on the CANbus, they have yet to release the cable.

Archived