LegacyGT.com

Prodrive BCS: Myths vs Fact

SeeeeeYa

How did you drill that fitting out? In reading bosco's install thread he mentioned this, but it seemed it would be difficult to do correctly, centered and all. Can it be done with hand tools or did it require a drill press, etc.? I think it is the better solution, personally, for the reason I mentioned as well as keeping it stock looking.

i have over 3k miles on mine now no issues but i do agree for the money a AVO product sells for it should be perfect. all they would have to do is make the oil line 2" longer they must have a supplier that has the short ones in stock for less money so they use those instead of the proper lenght line. sad. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I managed to install the turbo using nothing but an adjustable wrench and a hammer, why would I need these things you mention :lol:

that my friend is in the true spirit of hot rodding. well done. :) bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

• 4 weeks later...
Makes sense to me, and why I will leave my third port open. As I said, it vents the acutator's containment of pressurized air, effectively resetting its state to zero. The flow of air that will emit from it will be the sum of all the actuator's pressurized air, minus its ambient volumn, left when the BCS interrupts the input from the pressure source. If that port were capped the actuator would be left pressurized, holding the waste gate, to some degree or other, partially open, draining exhaust pressure and affecting boost control.

Open, or vented through a hose to the intake, whichever, the actuactor's vented volumn of air is inconsequential to the operation of the motor. Returned to the intake nipple it reenters air being drawn into the turbo, and vented to atmosphere where it sits it reenters air being drawn into the turbo. Neither way will measurably affect anything. For those whose sensibilities are insulted by an open port, put a hose from it to the intake.

OK..... Theory and reality meet :). My own "sensibilities" could not tolerate my theorized configuration and I connected the PD BCS's third port to the intake. While I still believe it will make zero performance difference, it is decidedly more correct now.

It was surprisingly easy, too. I used pieces removed from the stock BCS which fit perfectly after a slight hose trim.

I'm sure LBGT is smiling.

Also, due to information provided by MickeyD2005, bugblatterbeast, and LBGT who have made a quantum difference in the understanding and tuning of our boost control/PID system for our community, I was able to tune the Prodrive BCS inside an hour.

Anyone who doubts the value of a blocking BCS has never explored the limits of the stock system. In less than an hour I had quicker boost, superior TD numbers, controlled overboost in higher gears, and tightly held boost targets. This is all on my maxed out VF40 setup, which had become a PITA as I tried to balance all my expectations with the stock BCS.

Something else occurred that was never expected. My idle vacuum increased by one full integer. It suggests that the stock BCS had been leaking. I have checked it and it is not. Go figure.

I wish I had done this long ago, I'd have saved wear and tear logging, lots of gasoline, and more frustration than a little. But then, I'd not have explored and learned the stock system as well.

All this is academic relative to my present setup as I will be installing my AVO380 very shortly. My path was to install the AVO pump first, the Prodrive second, and DW injectors third prior to the turbo install. This way I can assimilate these elements separately into my existing tuning and have fewer variables when the turbo is installed. So far, so good.

Again, my thanks to the above named individuals for their significant influence on understanding the tuning of boost.

• 3 weeks later...

Search on eBay for Prodrive Boost Control, only one entry currently shows, and it is over in a few days.

This is where I finally found the one I got in October after striking out everywhere else. www.flatironsimports.com is the place but the seller on ebay is fast-imports out of Boulder CO. Mine was shipped by Flatirons Acura/Subaru whose website is listed above. Price just $90 plus shipping ($99.00 for me)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Anybody know any North American vendors that still have them? Stock is out at some places and with Prodrive leaving the US, figure prices will be going up shortly.

If the prodrive BCS will no longer be available, is there another bcs that will work as well that others can recommend? Perrin BCS, others?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived