LegacyGT.com

My SpecB - Coming soon with 100% less Panasonic Electronics

finse

I tried like hell to buy just the faceplate before I started my project and could'nt get it.

I called panasonic directly as a dealer and as a consumer and they would not sell the faceplate only.

See the whole units on ebay every so often for about $150 bucks

Thanks man.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so how did this turn out?

I did a test fitting on Saturday and found a couple bugs in the electronics. I will be taking it back up to Erik this week for some more tweaking. Its close, just not quite there yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so tonight Erik finished squashing the last couple bugs in the HVAC unit and the Alpine has been installed! It looks fantastic and sounds as good as it looks! This was definitely worth the wait. We installed a SWI-X which allows me to use the steering wheel controls. The Alpine has multi colored LED's, I set it to red to match the interior of the car. Alas, this is worthless with out pics, so I have a couple right now. I will try and get some better pics tomorrow when there is some usable light.

Cheers,

Ryan

I used the flash with this first shot... Its a bit washed out...

http://www.slacktastic.net/SpecB_Alpine/withflash.jpg

This second shot I did not use the flash. Represents what the setup looks like in the dark fairly well...

http://www.slacktastic.net/SpecB_Alpine/nightshot.jpg

BTW, anybody know if you can buy just the "face plate" of the Dual auto hvac/radio unit, or do you need to buy both the face and the radio junk behind it?

I believe dealer can sell just the faceplate. There should be separate part # for it.

I like it man, nice. What was the total cost. I got a pm about it but i did not know that it would look that fly at night!!! I am about to freshen up my audo and this might be part of it.

Yeah bud great job on going through with this, truely a unique legacy. And seriously what a**hats at SOA thought and still thinks that this is a great idea to combine the radio with the HVAC? I want to kick him in the balls.

I dont know.. I mean, technically its awesome and is how we should be able to do things... But it looks so lonely down there with a single din head unit. A nice fat double din down there would have just made it perfect.

I dont think this is ever going to happen for me, so I think im gonna try a CarPC route with a cleansweep type interface to clean up the sound. As much as Id like to run a headunit and power the stock speakers off the head, i dont think I could deal with the redundancy of seeing 2 stereos in my car and this method is too much time/money before even buying the hardware.

Awesome though man! Congrats.

Definitely the way the LGT should have come from the factory!

I could not agree more spicytuna. While the luxury car makers do make radios that appear to be integrated with HVAC, I believe they can be separated (My boss's Audi is like this). Even then its usually a moot point because BMW, Lexus and others don't include Kmart quality car stereos in their models. /rant

What was the total cost.

I am in about $1000/1100 right now. The Alpine was about $200 less then I paid for my last one, so that was a nice surprise.

looks sweet....are you planning to upgrade the speakers and so forth??

Yes! right now this is my intent, and in this order

1. custom fiber glass box, as written up in the DIY forum
  2. Bluetooth integration for the Alpine
  3. speakers all around
  4. HD radio.

Considering I just blew a hell of a lot of cash, I need some time to recover before I get more gear :)

But it looks so lonely down there with a single din head unit. A nice fat double din down there would have just made it perfect.

Double din was an option. I chose single din as I already have a oem nav system. two screens imho is just too much.

Yeah bud great job on going through with this, truely a unique legacy. And seriously what a**hats at SOA thought and still thinks that this is a great idea to combine the radio with the HVAC? I want to kick him in the balls.

Maybe they had future plans. Like controlling the temperature of the car based on the tempo of the music.:p

Ok, so tonight Erik finished squashing the last couple bugs in the HVAC unit and the Alpine has been installed! It looks fantastic and sounds as good as it looks! This was definitely worth the wait. We installed a SWI-X which allows me to use the steering wheel controls. The Alpine has multi colored LED's, I set it to red to match the interior of the car. Alas, this is worthless with out pics, so I have a couple right now. I will try and get some better pics tomorrow when there is some usable light.

Cheers,

Ryan

I used the flash with this first shot... Its a bit washed out...

http://www.slacktastic.net/SpecB_Alpine/withflash.jpg

This second shot I did not use the flash. Represents what the setup looks like in the dark fairly well...

http://www.slacktastic.net/SpecB_Alpine/nightshot.jpg

I bow to thee... and thee's installer;)

• 2 weeks later...
If I could afford this, I would do it in a heartbeat. I don't care how you look at it, IMHO, an aftermarket headunit is better than going the cleansweep route anyday. Thats why I have a single DIN cd player in my upper bezel. Not only do you have more control of your sound from the cd player, the sound is not being flattened then amplified.

Im sure a pack of beer will persuade Erik to watch over your 'glass build. :)

Rich @ HCA

Your probably right. But by the looks of things Erik is going be one hell of a busy guy :)

I don't care how you look at it, IMHO, an aftermarket headunit is better than going the cleansweep route anyday. Thats why I have a single DIN cd player in my upper bezel. Not only do you have more control of your sound from the cd player, the sound is not being flattened then amplified.

Could'nt have said it better myself. The one thing I didn't like about my car is now a thing of the past.

Do you know if a double DIN would fit? I drive a GT wagon and would like to get the Pioneer AVIC D3 so that I can have navigation as well.

Yes it fits. Its been before. Search for member's daswrx install thread.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Archived