LegacyGT.com

My SpecB - Coming soon with 100% less Panasonic Electronics

finse

Greetings everyone. I thought I would share the progress of my current project with you all.

Like many of you.. Since I bought my 2006 LGT, I have lamented the loss of my ability to upgrade the stock stereo. Since my LGT is a SpecB, it further reduced my options as I did not have a cubby the install an aftermaket unit in. All hope was not lost though...

First there was daswrx and his incredible installation of a double din set up in place of the panasonic radio, then #072 with a similar install in his Spec B.

Alas, anyone who has seen my soldering ability usually just shakes their head in disgust. My hope was that someone in the aftermarket would come to save those poor souls like me, but its been two+ years and with no help on the horizon - I outsourced the work.

Today, I have pictures of the electronics and the final 'product'. I am still waiting on Erik to receive the Alpine CDA-9887 that will be placed into the dash, but I am hopeful it will be installed within a week.

Here are the pics. They are going to load pretty slow, they are hosted on my home DSL connection equipped with a regrettable upload speed.

my new housing:

http://www.slacktastic.net/SpecB_Alpine/rcomplete.jpg

The electronics harness - removed and reworked:

http://www.slacktastic.net/SpecB_Alpine/rcomplete_electronics.jpg

Cheers,

Ryan

** Update ** Project is complete. Check out post #32 for the completed pics.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

praedet - I got this done by a shop just outside of Denver. I am not sure if I am allowed to post a link to their site as they are not an approved vendor.

meier motor sports - agreed, it must have been a pain. I think Erik said he had 10+ hours in this project.

yeah, I could have gone the clean sweep route for less money - but IMHO, a full on replacement of the deck gives me more options.

Word. Sometimes it costs money to do things the right way. Great job. Can't wait to see the final install.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Wow, where did you get this done?

Since its ok to say who did this for me...

Erik at Highline Car Audio (highlinecaraudio.com) is the elecrontics genius who divorced the panasonic from the HVAC.

since i dont have a spec b, i would want a double din unit in there.. ahhh one day! Lucky you!

I had my choice, he could have done a double din. I even contemplated it for some time.. mostly because I despise the 'i agree' button on the factory nav screen.

I cant recall, but has somebody mapped out exactly what and where to cut to do this? I think I have the means to get this done electronically, but need more precise directions. The other part is having the bezel fiberglassed or whatever to make the right size hole there... or is that a 2.5i install kit glassed to the stock hvac controls?

BTW, anybody know if you can buy just the "face plate" of the Dual auto hvac/radio unit, or do you need to buy both the face and the radio junk behind it?

I tried like hell to buy just the faceplate before I started my project and could'nt get it.

I called panasonic directly as a dealer and as a consumer and they would not sell the faceplate only.

See the whole units on ebay every so often for about $150 bucks

Archived