LegacyGT.com

08 Legacy 2.5i SE in my future :)

naimouasta

ok so i'm still in college and have one more year yet. my current car, an 02 wrx wagon has treated me well for 2 yrs now. but at 80k miles, i'm gonna trade it in before its value really dips. plus i don't want to start doing major maintenance like timing belts, water, etc. the car has never let me down but cost to run (gas, minor maintenance, and insurance) is killer. plus turbo lag sucks on the daily drive.

so yesterday i went to check out the 08 impreza's and legacy's. initially i test drove and wanted another wrx (white hatch like mine,sexy ;)) but price and insurance quote was a killer, and i would be in the same boat as right now. then i looked at the legacy. the GT was also a grinning at me :wub:, but i think i'm going to settle with a 2.5i. there were many plus's; price, insurance, 87 gas :), light years better interior than mine and 08 impreza's, quiet ride, etc, etc. only thing that sucks is color combinations :spin:. i wanted white with black interior, but i'm going to settle with the quartz silver to get the black interior.

so now that i've decided to get one, what are the major differences between the GT and 2.5i other than the motor and driveline? i don't care about engine mods but what i'm most concerned about is aftermarket suspension. are most aftermarket GT suspension components compatible with 2.5i stuff?, because on vendor websites all i see is GT stuff.

btw i'm new to this forum, i was always on nasioc though. and from initial impressions everyone here is more mature?!? :lol: lots of knowledge on nasioc but it just seems like some noob is always getting beatin and dragged behind a pickup :lol:.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/341287/noob.jpg

ok so i'm still in college and have one more year yet. my current car, an 02 wrx wagon has treated me well for 2 yrs now. but at 80k miles, i'm gonna trade it in before its value really dips. plus i don't want to start doing major maintenance like timing belts, water, etc. the car has never let me down but cost to run (gas, minor maintenance, and insurance) is killer. plus turbo lag sucks on the daily drive.

so yesterday i went to check out the 08 impreza's and legacy's. initially i test drove and wanted another wrx (white hatch like mine,sexy ;)) but price and insurance quote was a killer, and i would be in the same boat as right now. then i looked at the legacy. the GT was also a grinning at me :wub:, but i think i'm going to settle with a 2.5i. there were many plus's; price, insurance, 87 gas :), light years better interior than mine and 08 impreza's, quiet ride, etc, etc. only thing that sucks is color combinations :spin:. i wanted white with black interior, but i'm going to settle with the quartz silver to get the black interior.

so now that i've decided to get one, what are the major differences between the GT and 2.5i other than the motor and driveline? i don't care about engine mods but what i'm most concerned about is aftermarket suspension. are most aftermarket GT suspension components compatible with 2.5i stuff?, because on vendor websites all i see is GT stuff.

btw i'm new to this forum, i was always on nasioc though. and from initial impressions everyone here is more mature?!? :lol: lots of knowledge on nasioc but it just seems like some noob is always getting beatin and dragged behind a pickup :lol:.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/341287/noob.jpg

From what I understand the suspension mods will work on the 2.5i except for the FSB. There was a post somewhere about someone getting a FSB to work with some rework. When my shocks wear out I'm thinking of going for coilovers.

I considered a '05 WRX when looking at my car on the dealer's lot but decided on the Legacy since we needed more space for the carseat, baby stroller, and we liked the near-luxury features.

I am not sure on the fitment of parts are far as compatibility, but you should be happy with the 2.5i. It has enough guts, for me at least, to get around town.

One thing you'll really like is the increase in MPG. I went from a lifted Jeep getting 15MPG around town, and not even being able to hold 60MPH on the highway, to this. I now get 27-30MPG and am very much enjoying it.

:wub:

If anyone else knows the compatible parts, that would be awesome! I've had the same question for a few days now and haven't found anything through research. :p

I just picked up an 08 Outback 2.5I from my dealer this morning as a loaner car. Car had 38 miles. I drive a stock 5 speed 02 WRX Wagon. And I must say the car for an auto with the 2.5 engines accelerates well. Driving home on the hwy at my normal commuting speeds I couldn't tell any difference between the 2 cars. Now I'm sure If I really get on the gas I will notice the difference in power. But most people who drive this car will find that the 2.5 engine works well and pulls well. The interior is very nice, doesn't feel cheap. And I know a lot people here complain about the OEM radio, but this radio with no factory subwoofer sounds better that my OEM unit with the subwoofer.

[Edit, added content]

Just came back from a little spin on the HWY and my conclusions are pretty much the same for this engine. For everyday commute use this car pulls fine, even in the heavier Outback. My father would have no problems with this car overall power. But if you enjoy doing some spirited driving this combo doesn't work well. The car feels great till about 60-65 MPH's. But from 70MPH's + passing and accelerating slows down. Even downshifting doesn't help much. Engine has plenty of low end tourque takes off nicely in the city from a stop. The legacy is lighter so it should perform better but make sure you take it for a test drive.

I don't want to bash. And it was probably the auto tranny. But here are my impressions...

I had an '05 RS MT and first test drove an auto Legacy 2.5i not sure of the trim level. It drove well around town, but it seemed sluggish in corners and when accelerating. I only test drove it once, but I knew it wasn't for me. I think ALOT of it was the AUTO, I have had solely MTs for a few years now and think when my brain says shift, the car should shift, apparently Subaru's ECU doesn't agree :)

As for the interior, definately go for the limited, the sunroof and auto heating are a nice touch of luxory, and you can't beat leather.

I wasn't really in the market, but with the current GTP and VIP program I had trhough my work, I would have been a fool not to trade (at least that's what I tell my wife ;) )

For me the insurance went DOWN from an RS Impreza to a LGT..... so I would check into that before you rule out a GT, it's a damn nice car. But I do understand your reasoning behind not wanting a turbo.

P.S. When you settle, you'll find yourself wandering what if and telling yourself I should have... I "settled" for an RS 3 years ago for insurance reasons and found myself jumping into an LGT as soon as I could afford, I loved the RS the whole time I had it, but I didn't pass a single WRX without thinking.... hmmm I wonder if....

As for the maturity of people here, I too used to frequent Nasioc.... the guys here are a whole lot nicer.... I think it comes with the class and refinement of the car :)

I've seen more than a few na 2.5i owners who've done suspension mods. You ought to do some searches and you can find them and also step by step guides as well. I agree with your decision, we've had our 05 na 2.5i nearly 2 years now and @ ~34k very satisified......

• 2 weeks later...
just picked it up today. i'm gonna miss my wrx wagon. i love the legacy too though, great ride. i wish i can afford to keep both especially since the wrx was my first car. :icon_cry: o well, any subaru model is great though, so i'm in good hands.

Congrats!

I love my 06 2.5i wagon. I would have loved the GT but cost and mpg were big factors. I have been very happy with mine. I added some bilsteins and springs, JDM rear sway bar, short shifter and wheels/tires and it has been fun to drive. I get 28-30mpg regularly mixed driving.

Definately look into suspension mods, they make it alor more fun.

JDM GT Bilsteins (F-Tanabe R-Pinks)

JDM RSB - Modded Kartboy SS - Subaru Momo Knob

Subastyle Grille

thanks guys. i've only had it for 3 days and already got 700 miles on it already. very nice ride, i love it, and yes the gas mileage is great.

i'm sure everyone has their own opinion, but what are the best springs? to me it seems like tien s-techs and swift springs are popular around here? well when i was on nasioc, on the impreza from what i've understand, s-techs suck, and swift springs are good, but sag?!? after awhile? are these the same issues on the legacy? i will search more but what are the best options out there for the legacy?

• 2 weeks later...
Good choice...I just drove 150 miles round trip today and got 29.6 mpg according to the computer. The coolest thing is putting in 87 octane. One minor concern was merging infront of a bus cruising at about 75 on the highway. I got infront of it, but barely. Power difference is significant from my 05GT, but still a great car.

Congrats to you naimousta enjoy your new legacy......I met a yong man at the Subaru Challenge held our way last weekend, he had coilovers on his na leggy

to legandrex > In the instance you mentioned I would have used the sport shifter in my auto......I don't know about the 08 models but in my 05 I've done 90 at 6k rpm in 3rd gear......just my 2 bits......peace

I have owned both a 05 GT 5 speed and a 07 2.5i Ltd. auto. The are both good in their own respect, but the GT is and will always be a gas guzzler. I am happy with my 2.5i, it performs as it should, and it is a very good car for the money. Plus I can't see myself driving a non AWD car up here!

GL

X

---

Archived