LegacyGT.com

paintless dent repair near Boston?

ilh

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Talk about random bad luck... I was driving with my family on a rural road in Concord, MA on Saturday when all of a sudden we hear a loud clunk. My son said something hit his door. Upon stopping I find a 3-inch diameter chunk of tree branch about 8 inches long lying in the road and a dent with scratches on my rear driver's side door. It had been thrown by a large John Deere tractor mowing a field across the street. Not only did it have to hit me as a moving target, it had to travel at least 50 feet and through an 8-foot wide opening in the stone wall between the field and road before hitting me. Luckily the tractor operator is insured and took full responsibility.

Ugh. My 2005 LGT didn't have a single dent or scratch until now (pretty amazing really). The damage was pretty minor, probably less bad than a bad door ding job. I'll try to upload photos later if interested. Oh yeah, I just thoroughly washed, clayed, and Wolfgang'ed my car just 6 days before.

I am hopeful it can be handled by paintless dent repair. I'd really rather not go down the road of repainting the door if we can handle it. The paint looks slightly scratched, but at this point I don't know how bad. It does not appear to be scratched through the paint to the primer, but perhaps the clearcoat is scraped. The color is BSM. I'd hate to get overspray elsewhere on the car and/or have the color not match quite right, especially in different lighting conditions like city lights at night. Been there, done that before with both overspray and poor color matches. I've heard these metallic paints can be even tougher to match.

I'm just trying to get information before the appraiser sends me to a small list of body shops "preferred" by my insurance company (Commerce). Presumably none of them are PDR type places. We'll see.

--Lee

I'm waiting for my appraisal to come back. I stopped by one of the Commerce "preferred" body shops in Acton just to see what they would do. For my less than fist-sized dent that is maybe 1/8-inch deep, no real creases I can see, they would patch, paint the entire rear door, blend paint into the front door and rear quarter panel, and then clear coat both doors and quarter panel. (This is a sedan, so quarter panel technically part of the roof. How are they going to manage that?) Yuck! I don't want that much non-factory paint on my car. I'm depressed after hearing that. They said without the blending, you'd notice the color change no matter how well they paint match.

I'm going to check out some PDR places such as Dent Wizard and Dent Tech (Woburn). Village Subaru said they use a guy from Dent Tech from time to time on the lot for PDR work.

Why doesn't Commerce Insurance list any PDR places? I would think it could be much less expensive than repainting huge areas and the problems that could lead to. ???

--Lee

BTW, I used these guys, I did not sue them.....

HAHAHAHAHAAH It was really strange you suing a company and using it again :lol::lol::lol:

I have to remove a dent on mine too, f!&*@(!&*@ Stop and Shop cart.....

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

• 5 months later...

I now know what it is like to hit a jersey barrier!

For some reason beyond my comprehension, I was spared serious injury or inflicting injury upon another. I think you will all agree, that for a 65mph collision with a concrete traffic divider, my car is in pretty good shape.

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/6385/img2626pv4.jpg

If we zoom in, the damage becomes more apparent.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7336/img2621ku1.jpg

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/4641/img2623tl8.jpg

As you can see, the wheel is gouged although it still feels balanced and the tire has held up fine over the last 200 miles. The paint damage is upsetting although it is tempered by how much worse it could have been. This damage, along with a few of the larger rock chips, need to be taken care of this spring. Does anyone have positive, first-hand experience with a shop in the RI/MA area, that could repair this? There is a very slight dent in the upper area of the abrasion, it's barely noticeable, but may be fixable.

I don't need a full quarter-panel respray, touch-up paint would be fine. I just want it to be properly done so that there's not bubbles, drips, contaminants, etc. Thanks.

I've had good luck with Station Autobody in Sudbury.

They repaired an Outback that hit a dear and then from a separate incident, the front bumper on the same car.

They're honest and the owner's got some cool racing stories to share.

Archived