LegacyGT.com

MP3's with OEM head unit?

racerdave

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DM- I wasn't aware you meant it was from the JDM catalog. I have a huge wish list of parts I want SOA to bring here if that's the case. Unfortunately, I wouldn't expect that part to be offered here. It would be a change in the right direction if Subaru did it, except they've always remained very conservative about ICE upgrades for our market. The JDM models always get the cool stuff from Alpine (and others), while we get stuck with Panasonic and Clarion.

[quote name='brady_bunch'] The climate control circuit board is probably why the aftermarket unit dash plate piece is so expensive ($275). Now it's all starting to make sense. Thanks, turboliberty for the pics![/quote] No problem, they do say a picture is worth... um something, something. :lol: And that would be a good guess about the price with climate control since that thing is integrated. Maybe there will be a US conversion offered by a reputable aftemarket company. It's obviously not difficult, just expensive.

[quote name='turboliberty']DM- I wasn't aware you meant it was from the JDM catalog. I have a huge wish list of parts I want SOA to bring here if that's the case. Unfortunately, I wouldn't expect that part to be offered here. It would be a change in the right direction if Subaru did it, except they've always remained very conservative about ICE upgrades for our market. The JDM models always get the cool stuff from Alpine (and others), while we get stuck with Panasonic and Clarion.[/quote] I think it should and will be offered here. There is obviously a market here for it, so I don't see why dealers wouldn't offer it...

SOA won't offer it at all. They're extremely conservative when it comes to messing with vehicle electrical and electronics components. I know the accessory managers and this info is straight from them. Will not happen. Keep your fingers crossed, maybe their brand managers will help them change their mind. :wink:

If SOA won't make it, would there be any legal issues of ordering a JDM part, mirroring it (for the USDM model), and producing it and selling it as an aftermarket part? I feel an early retirement opportunity approaching. :) Manufacturing and marketing aftermarket parts for GTs. :D

Hi, been visiting the sight for a few weeks now, but I thought I could contribute a little. Technically, if you had the wiring schematics for the board, your could convert the C to F. It probably wouldn't be too expensive, just a pain in the ass and you'd need the electronics understanding. (I'm going to school for my BS for Electical Engineering Tech.) I remember I had to fabricate a radio faceplate (and other parts for the radio) for my 88 XT back in the day.

I don't know about that ... is the A/C screen 7 segment or dot matrix? I doubt there's even a 'board'. Probably everything is integrated into a microcontroller. All you can do is interrupt the screen's control signals. You'd also need very fast and high tolerance parts. It is in a car, afterall. Then you'd need someplace to put it. I know I'll be importing one as soon as I find out whether it fits! I grew up using C anyway.

[quote name='brady_bunch']If SOA won't make it, would there be any legal issues of ordering a JDM part, mirroring it (for the USDM model), and producing it and selling it as an aftermarket part? I feel an early retirement opportunity approaching. :) Manufacturing and marketing aftermarket parts for GTs. :D[/quote] Producing and selling it as an aftermarket part shouldn't be a problem. Getting the original components and doing R & D is how accessory manufacturers do it all the time. I'm sure you can make a reproduction as long as you don't violate any registered trademarks, just apply for a patent. Of course, that's if you have the cash to do it. :wink:

I'm perfectly fine with Celsius too; 0 means catching a cold, 20 means nice, 40 means A/C, 100 means dead. But seriously, if you're going to do all that work on a JDM part, why not just cut up the stock faceplate and custom fit your DIN unit into it. The hazard button can be relocated to give more room for maybe a touchscreen too.

Back to the title of this thread. I noticed that the JDM system has MD player built in and the round input selector switch has the MD option at the bottom. What are the chances that those inputs are still there and we can tap into them as an aux input? Also, would the system have the signal wire that lowers the volume when a cell phone signals it to?

[quote name='turboliberty'][quote name='bemani']Does anyone have a link to instructions on how to remove the audio/climate control panel?[/quote] I think I have what you need, what's your e-mail addy? I just need to find that exact page in the manual and I can send a copy.[/quote] Could you send me it too? Th3Franz at yahoo dot com.

[quote name='turboliberty'][quote name='bemani']Does anyone have a link to instructions on how to remove the audio/climate control panel?[/quote] I think I have what you need, what's your e-mail addy? I just need to find that exact page in the manual and I can send a copy.[/quote] Could you pls PM me a copy? :)

This Space For Rent

[quote name='turboliberty'][quote name='bemani']Does anyone have a link to instructions on how to remove the audio/climate control panel?[/quote] I think I have what you need, what's your e-mail addy? I just need to find that exact page in the manual and I can send a copy.[/quote] Please check your pm.

Oh, does anyone know the price of the VDC mp3 player, and if we need a new faceplate for that? Even if it is expensive, I think I'll just save up some Subaru coupons for it, if I don't have to buy a new faceplate.

Price of the VDC stereo deck is currently $692.43, originally priced three months ago at $1,192.91. Part number is 86201AG63A. It already comes with the face plate attached. As for any one else requesting the removal instructions I have only sent Bemani his copies and just checking if this is what he needed. I can just resend the same e-mail to you if you PM me with your addy.

Archived