LegacyGT.com

Telescoping steering wheel column retrofit to 05-07?

Update: Does not fit. See post #57.

Wondering if anyone has tried or thought about tackling this... I wish I had access to 2008 parts database to compare to pre-2008 cars.

This probably is not super cheap, or super easy, but unless Subaru significantly made things incompatible (like steering wheel, roll connector, etc) it should be doable.

I'd personally love to be able to move the wheel aft from the stock position. Sat in a 2008 and it made a world of difference.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...

Not sure if this will copy/paste very well.

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

If not, got to http://www.subarugenuineparts.com and then look for the button for the OEM Catalog in the upper left corner. I was able to navigate to the 2007 Legacy steering column. I don't know what it is I'm looking at but it's got picture.

Cheers!

-Ian

edit: Oh yeah, I had to make my way to the Collision catalog. For some reason the only model in the "Mechanical" catalog was the Tribeca.

Just ran outside.... from full forward to full back there is about 6 inches of movement...

Not sure if full forward is stock 05 position or not.

Hope this helps.

BTW I'm 6'3 and didn't realize I had it almost all the way back, played for a while and still like it that way.

yep, one lever releases all functions.

As for trading columns..... I misspoke (or we misinterpreted back and forward), I meant to say it was "almost" all the way out (towards me).... I still like the adjustments :lol:

And the steering wheel buttons are nice too :)

• 1 month later...
Anyone have schematics for the 07 and 08 OBXT and LGT?

That's the thing. When I get hold of it, I'll try to see differences and check the cost. The telescoping column was added on 2008 only.

Btw, 05-07 steering column assembly is not that expenive. About $130 bucks (part # 34500AG08B).

• 1 month later...

The '08 parts are up now, and it looks like it's about $500 for an '08 steering column. That's quite a bump from the $130 for the '05-'07 columns!

The rest of the column diagram looks the same, however. Who's got the $$$ to try this out?

-Ryan

Wondering how much the connectors,clock spring,covers and IPC would be different?Also wondering if the current coulmn has "break away bolts" used to ,mount the igniton switch?Is that the cost or the list price on the new column?I'm definately interested in doing this I have everything it takes.Does that same parts site that was linked have the listings?

gracias

Actually I looked at 2008 parts diagram (will post later) and it looks like straightforward swap, not sure if plastic covers from pre-2008 cars would fit.

But $500 if correct is bit much.

• 8 months later...

I'm interested in knowing more about this, but I'm comfortable with the position of my wheel.

I'm really more interested in folding rear seats.

still tho.. this is a very wordy version of :subscribe:

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Archived