LegacyGT.com

Telescoping steering wheel column retrofit to 05-07?

ok I just found an 08 legacy column for $125 , actually I found 5 the rest are a little more expensive.. do ALL the 08 legacy's come with telescoping columns? or only gt/xt's? unfortunately the salvage people put there own.. part #'s on not anything resembling subarus oh besides blk=black and key anyone have a clue what the rest of this means

BLK,TDC,KEY,AOD,FL,2 53POP

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 years later...

BUMP unclemat I understand you did this successfully. What 08-09 parts were required to swap onto your 05s?

To add, I found a 2009 Legacy steering column assembly which supposedly is complete with steering column/wheel/paddles/plastic covers/etc, 9 minute drive from my place, $150.

Being 6'4" and also hoping to move the seat back a little further than it already goes, this would be incredibly nice to have to get in proper driving position.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I have not done this yet - had the column waiting to be installed for long time. As you know I put my car stuff on hold, only now I got back to the game.

All it should take is the column plus the plastic covers. Also new ignition lock bolts - they have the "shear off" heads so the original ones need to be drilled out. I hope to do it this spring or perhaps earlier if the weather cooperates.

Btw, I also picked up the STI steering joint out of 08 STI. The LGT has this big rubber damper thing in it. Good piece to swap at the same time.

I have not done this yet - had the column waiting to be installed for long time. As you know I put my car stuff on hold, only now I back to the game. Just replaced the engine for the n-th time, planning on starting her tomorrow.

All it should take is the column plus the plastic covers. Also new ignition lock bolts - they have the "shear off" heads so the original ones need to be drilled out. I hope to do it this spring or perhaps earlier if the weather cooperates.

Btw, I also picked up the STI steering joint out of 08 STI. The LGT has this big rubber damper thing in it. Good piece to swap at the same time.

Thank you, and was in fact wondering what year STi would have the solid steering joint. Is it 08-2010 only or back further? I will start looking for one used...

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Legacy GT 05-09:

universal joint assembly steering 34170AG021

http://static.opposedforces.com/epc_img/366495134701.png

universal joint assembly steering

34170FG010 for 08-10sti

34170AG021 for 08-10wrx so everything but STi is indeed rubber

all previous years to 08 sti are like the legacy with rubber dampener... 08 STi

http://static.opposedforces.com/epc_img/371495034701.png

While we're here, did anyone ever conclude that the 2008-2010 STi rack was the same or quicker ratio than LGT? I think it might need those tie rods with bigger threads where they bolt to the rack...

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
I may be forced to try this.... Apparently there is a " bad batch " of steering columns for 05 obxt's ...all of you who have them in your car are fine but if you Need to replace them they are about 8mm too short.... Long story short I had an L&E fab steering quickener in my car ( it was awesome btw) but my car with 120k on it developed a leak on the rack itself ... So looked into putting an lgt rack in my car as new rack +L&E would equal really really fast steering...put in lgt rack plus obxt column ---8mm too short .. Ok then put in vin correct rack, coupler, column still 8mm too short ordered another vin correct column ... Still to short...( lgt and obxt racks are identical btw besides internal ratio ). There are 5 columns in the country and we have two of them, called the ware house and had them measure the other three and they are all the same.... Soo now we ordered a 08 telescoping column one for lgt and one for wrx.... We'll see what happens...if anyone has any info as to what works I'd be grateful:)

I'm going to be in the process of doing an 08 Wheel and Paddle shift upgrade to my 05. Was thinking about going the extra distance and getting the telescoping shaft to go with it.

Wow, is that a possibility? How much work involved?

so how is it done?:) just the steering column please.. uh and what's FSM?

FSM = Field Service Manual.

Dave, any idea how much work it is? I'd LOVE to get a telescoping wheel for my '05.. Paddle shifters would just be gravy..

so how is it done?:) just the steering column please.. uh and what's FSM?

Factory Service Manual knows all.

FSM = Field Service Manual.

Dave, any idea how much work it is? I'd LOVE to get a telescoping wheel for my '05.. Paddle shifters would just be gravy..

I don't, I haven't done it myself, and at any rate I lightly complain about work that Rao finds easy, and others find impossible. If you're the mechanical type who can approach a new project by the book yet with an eye to solve irritating problems (like drilling out the attachment points to get the ignition switch off the old column - unclemat warned of that, for instance), then you will be fine.

Some guy with an OBXT swapped paddles over to his 05, so that's bolt-on. The wiring is very simple. One momentary close wire for UP, one for DOWN. Doesn't get any better than that.

I don't know how the telescoping part would wire in, but at the very least you should be able to bolt the new one in and get driving, or put the stock one back in temporarily.

I REALLY would like to put a steering quickener on, but I being cheap, would get the one from Jegs and use a lathe to make it adapt to the LGT steering shaft. That's more my speed.

Well I'm very very close to getting the telescoping shaft but not 100% I really want it. My main goal is just the 08 wheel and paddle shift from my 05 with wheel mount shifters. It has been done but I have the ability to go a couple ways with it once it arrives from japan.

1. keep 05 wheel and mount the paddle shifters on it.

2. replace everything that has to do with the column to 08.(leaning more toward this one.)

climberD--- If... I get this telescoping column figured out i will have my old L&E column for sale...

Again... if anyone has done the telescoping dealio or has at least looked at the stock (05) one compared to an 08 one lemme know :)

Archived