LegacyGT.com

Telescoping steering wheel column retrofit to 05-07?

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Picked up a 2012 STI steering column but some of the mount points for the steering stuff look to be different.

There's a 08 Outback Wagon steering column at the yard, perhaps I should have grabbed that instead, since cars101.com says that all 08 OBS's came with the telescopic/tilt column...

It's not that hard. One problem that you will run into with this is the Lower Dash piece is different on the 08 models. I'm sure you can use the 05 column cover but it's not long enough for the telescoping part. So when you pull it forward it will show you the guts of the column. For an 08 Column cover to fit you need the lower dash piece. This I am not even sure will line up with our 05 upper dash for the piece right below the speedo the "U" part that holds the upper column piece to make it look nice is different too.

• 8 months later...
Definite subscribe!! unclemat - any updates?

Yeah... six years later after I started the thread, and over 4 years after I bought the column, I finally got around to trying ;) I guess I wasn't really missing the telescoping option much ;)

Cliff notes: Won't bolt on. And not worth it anyway. The column in it's extended position is only 5mm longer! :spin:

The problem is the column mounting holes are spaced wider on the 08-09 column to accommodate the fatter column, and they are supposed to be mounted somewhat closer to the firewall (to accommodate shorter extension - see *). Also by eyeballing the "clockspring" (roll connector) it's mounting points are different. Otherwise it looks like stalks would mount and the harness connectors for the key/ignition lock the same (albeit differently placed). BIU mounting is also different. Finally, the covers are obviously different, they are wider and the top cover would hit the protruding edges of the dash under the gauge cluster (but they could be cut).

But... the kicker is it's most likely not worth it :spin: In fully extended position the 08 column is only 5mm longer (according to my measurements, which I did fairly carefully, even got my wife to help :cool:). Per FSM, the column is 15mm shorter in the collapsed position. See three posts down.

(*) I was wondering if perhaps the steering column is supposed to protrude less through the firewall - which is the case if the column was mounted in the same spot distance wise from the firewall - which would move the steering towards the driver more (maybe like 10mm over 05-07 - which would be noticeable). Then a longer universal joint could compensate for it. However I checked part numbers for the universal joint (and also steering rack) and they are all the same across years (except 06-09 SpecB has different steering rack for some reason).

See the picture below: the top is 05 column, the bottom one is 08.

Anyone wants to buy 08 column? Covers included! ;)

01.thumb.jpg.e6b3558b0fa4f33c4ec5605ac71a86df.jpg

Yeah... six years later after I started the thread, and over 4 years after I bought the column, I finally got around to trying ;) I guess I wasn't really missing the telescoping option much ;)

Cliff notes: Won't bolt on. And not worth it anyway. The column in it's extended position is only 5mm longer! :spin:

But... the kicker is it's most likely not worth it :spin: In fully extended position the 08 column is only 5mm longer (according to my measurements, which I did fairly carefully, even got my wife to help :cool:). Per FSM, the column is 15mm shorter in the collapsed position.

Forgive me - something isn't adding up here in my mind. 5 mm longer, and 15mm shorter in collapsed mode. Meaning a total adjustable range of 20 mm (2cm)??? Is that right?

Correct, 20mm adjustment range. -15mm to +5mm it seems.

I am completely shocked that there is less than 1inch of travel adjustment in the column. How is that possible?!

Thank you though for trying it out Unclemat. Do you have more pictures?

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I am completely shocked that there is less than 1inch of travel adjustment in the column. How is that possible?!

Thank you though for trying it out Unclemat. Do you have more pictures?

No more pics.

But you got me thinking - I went and measured the travel itself. There is actually about 42mm of travel!! :spin: So it's not 20mm, I take it back :redface:

I arrived at 20mm number by measuring the difference between (1) my 05 column and (2) the 08 column at it's maximum extension. The difference is 5mm. As in: the 08 column is only 5mm longer. Positive.

Then I looked at 08 FSM: the column length (Legacy) in the collapsed position is 818.6 mm. And according to 05 FSM: the column length is 833.6mm. Exactly 15mm longer. Hence my original number of 20mm.

Pretty weird, huh? It means the 08 column is actually ~37mm shorter in the collapsed position than the 05 column. Super short! It would not be the first time FSM quotes wrong numbers.

There is one other possibility. Maybe the column I got is Outback column? Per 08 FSM Outback column is 8mm shorter than Legacy. Still does not explain the math. I was told it is from Legacy, but since I did not see the car, who knows what car the junkyard really pulled it from.

Now I also wonder if the 08+ steering wheel is deeper to compensate for the shorter column.

Probably not. The min. length of the column is exact same for the 08+ STI as on 08-09 LGT, so I doubt it extends any further. Part numbers are different, however.

Just wanted to thank the OP... never knew my '08 had a telescoping wheel. Just assumed it didnt since my '05 didnt have one.

Sorry this mod doesnt work :(

:lol::lol:

Consider it a free instant mod! :)

• 4 years later...

Archived