LegacyGT.com

Aux-In Solution for 05/06 (Soldering Req) - No Silent CD

mvigneau

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
Unfortunately because every input is different, we can't guarantee that it will match your audio's output. You can remove the 2-10k resistors attached to the tuner inputs.

As long as you the radio is out of your car, you will not have radio/AC. Not sure about the if it remembers where you set it or not?

A few questions about this mod...

1. If the size of the 10k resistors is reduced, does it only make the aux louder or are all sources louder? In other words could I use these resistors to "tune" the volume levels between FM and aux in?

2. When I had the Jazzy aux in I noticed the volume level of my aux (sirius) was quite low unless I left the CD ribbon cable disconnected from the CD changer unit. I assumed that the Jazzy board didn't have any ability to isolate the aux from the CD changer, and the voltage output from my sirius was bleeding off into the CD changer circuits. I like the sound curve of the stock HU at low to mid volume, but at the the higher volumes required by the Jazzy unit the sound was very flat and tinny. Will this board suffer from the same malady?

3. Excuse my ignorace, but when you refer to a ground loop isolator do you mean one that filters the power supply to the board or that filters the RCA cables? Could the RCA cables simply be sheilded? Is there a better solution to noise that will not cause a loss of audio quality like GLI RCA cables do?

4. Are they still available?

Thanks for taking the time to read and (hopefully) reply to my posts.

Sorry for the late response. I have a 4 week old child at home. I have some kits ready to go. My solution is more difficult to install than RedFloyd's so I didn't think people were still interested even though I have some kits assembled ready to go.

A few questions about this mod...

1. If the size of the 10k resistors is reduced, does it only make the aux louder or are all sources louder? In other words could I use these resistors to "tune" the volume levels between FM and aux in?

Yes...it would change the volume of the aux...not all the sources as I am tapping off the FM levels.

2. When I had the Jazzy aux in I noticed the volume level of my aux (sirius) was quite low unless I left the CD ribbon cable disconnected from the CD changer unit. I assumed that the Jazzy board didn't have any ability to isolate the aux from the CD changer, and the voltage output from my sirius was bleeding off into the CD changer circuits. I like the sound curve of the stock HU at low to mid volume, but at the the higher volumes required by the Jazzy unit the sound was very flat and tinny. Will this board suffer from the same malady?

It shouldn't as it doesn't use the CD Changer at all. Jazzy's unit does overlay the sound of the aux on top of the CD; hence the need for a silent CD. So you are actually playing a CD with his method. The CD Changer uses a different EQ/Amplification than the FM source.

3. Excuse my ignorace, but when you refer to a ground loop isolator do you mean one that filters the power supply to the board or that filters the RCA cables? Could the RCA cables simply be sheilded? Is there a better solution to noise that will not cause a loss of audio quality like GLI RCA cables do?

There isn't something that can be easily added to the board without changing some inherent designs. But the GLI would connect to the RCA cables. Most RCA cables are already shielded.

4. Are they still available?

Thanks for taking the time to read and (hopefully) reply to my posts.

Yes they are still available.

Interested problem developed today. Whenever I press the A/C button it might or might not turn the aux board on and off. When I press the "aux" button it also may or may not turn the aux board on and off and it may also toggle the A/C at the same time. Both problems seem to be intermittent.

None of the wires are chaffing against any other components or laying bare anywhere. Any ideas?

Interested problem developed today. Whenever I press the A/C button it might or might not turn the aux board on and off. When I press the "aux" button it also may or may not turn the aux board on and off and it may also toggle the A/C at the same time. Both problems seem to be intermittent.

None of the wires are chaffing against any other components or laying bare anywhere. Any ideas?

Sounds like the ground that you used for your button was the ground for the A/C button. We ran into this when with the first couple of installations. Upon Changing our grounding location, this issue went away.

• 4 months later...

Mine stopped working completely a few days ago. Gonna take it to Highline Audio to figure out what's wrong. My guess is that a wire got disconnected or de-soldered. Either way, it sucks cuz I have to wait to go to Highline.

Also noticed, before it broke, that I would get significant amounts of noise, whenever I'd be charging my iPod using the cigarette lighter. Not sure why this is so, but sort of annoying.

-Sergei

• 2 weeks later...
Mine also works intermittently at best now, and the left speakers cut out when driving over bumps (remedied when I hit the fourth/Aux input twice, but only for a brief few seconds until I hit the next bump). I had Gas solder this as it was way over my head so I'll take it into an audio shop and see if they can remedy it. Will report back...

• 3 weeks later...
Mine stopped working completely a few days ago. Gonna take it to Highline Audio to figure out what's wrong. My guess is that a wire got disconnected or de-soldered. Either way, it sucks cuz I have to wait to go to Highline.

Also noticed, before it broke, that I would get significant amounts of noise, whenever I'd be charging my iPod using the cigarette lighter. Not sure why this is so, but sort of annoying.

-Sergei

Got Highline Auto to check it out a couple of weeks ago. Aparantly one of the chips on the board died. No way I would've figured this out without them.

They had to order the part, which just came in this week. I'll be going back there tomorrow to get it fixed. Hopefully it will work fine afterwards and won't cost much to fix. I've been without aux for about a month. Huge PITA!

-Sergei

• 2 months later...

I just purchased an '06 Outback Sedan LL Bean Edition. I read through the 9 pages of posts. Impressive. I have a few questions for the inventor/seller if said kits:

1. Most important: are these still the best solution and still available?

2. The impedance matching resistors (10k) - Do they come with the kit?

3. The SAT button spoken of - Is that the 6 o'clock position of the FM/CD/AM button that becomes active when the the small plastic piece is cut away?

4. Is the ground loop isolator that is spoken of really needed? Does it come with the kit?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Archived