LegacyGT.com

Outback XT to Legacy GT

We all know that Legacy GT Wagons were only available with manual transmissions in 2005 which makes them rare on the used car market. But the Outback XT has been available with manual transmission for years. So my question is, What would it take to convert an Outback XT into a Legacy GT?

Obviously the wheels and tire have to be changed but what needs to be changed in the suspension to lower the ride height back down to the Legacy GT level? Is it just a question of springs and struts or have the mounting points or the suspension arms been changed?

Has anyone investigated this?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From performance point of view, there is no point in "converting" an OXT to an LGT wagon. All you really need to do is get some coil-overs and the OXT will handle better than a stock LGT wagon. LGT does have larger brake rotors and roll bars, you can swap those out with aftermarket parts too.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb182/rawfish71/OB005.jpg

My car can go lower. With the shitty Colorado roads I'll just have to wait 'till I move back to Cali. I also picked up a LGT rear bumper with the exhaust cut outs that I'm gonna fab. to my bumper.

My car can go lower. With the shitty Colorado roads I'll just have to wait 'till I move back to Cali. I also picked up a LGT rear bumper with the exhaust cut outs that I'm gonna fab. to my bumper.

So Rawfish, do you want to give us some more details on what you did suspension and wheel wise to your OB? It looks good in the photo.

My goal is not to slam a wagon for looks but to have the best handling wagon for street driving that is practical for every day use and long trips.

//My goal is not to slam a wagon for looks but to have the best handling wagon for street driving that is practical for every day use and long trips.

The MR coilovers and good tires - like Goodyear F1 GS D3's - will give your OBXT extremely high cornering limits. I have an LGT rear sway as well (Robinlsb gave it to me!) as well, or you could get an aftermarket bar.

At the length they came, the MR coilovers dropped my car just about 2" - still a lot higher than most cars but great if you live in an area with rough roads. Specifically, measuring from the ground to the top of the wheel wells is now about 28", down from 30".

http://www.geocities.com/theseventhfirst/OBW_coils1.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

So Rawfish, do you want to give us some more details on what you did suspension and wheel wise to your OB? It looks good in the photo.

My goal is not to slam a wagon for looks but to have the best handling wagon for street driving that is practical for every day use and long trips.

For the suspension I have Megan Racing made for Outbacks. Wheels are Rota Formels 17-7.5, Tires are Michelin A/S 225-45's

In case you havent seen this already here is a link where I am putting on the JDM bumper with the cutouts.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69935

I think you will have problems with the area where the rear bumper meets the wheel wells if you try the legacygt bumper skin. In my thread someone comments on this.

I have done the same as you by putting the MR coilovers. Man they make a difference. I also put the JDM rear sway bar. Love the car now.

Lowering an OB does not yield Legacy suspension wise. In addition to different struts and springs, there are subframe spacers and the lateral links in rear are different.

If you lower OB to Legacy height (or worse, even less) you will end up with highly distorted suspension geometry. Like roll center completely out of whack. How bad in real life it is I don't know. If you lower it mildly, probably not too bad, i.e no "worse" than lowering Legacy (relatively to it's stock height).

No doubt, replacing stock OB suspension with coilovers, doing sways and tires might yield fairly competent car handling wise.

And, btw, OB has smaller brakes and slower steering ratio.

I will not comment on the body cladding though.... ;)

Lowering to Legacy height (or just above) really shouldn't cause any problems. My alignments were all pretty close to spec.

Why you'd want to go any lower than say a 2" drop doesn't make sense.

:spin:

Alignment is not everything! There is much more to suspension geometry... roll center, bump steer.

Based on the stock alignment called out in the owners manual, attached, i think that lowering an OB to LGT height wouldn't wreck the alignment too badly, I think it would actually just bring it closer to what it's supposed to be (stock LGT).

As was mentioned in the beginning of this thread, I wanted a new manual wagon, but alas, no LGT-mt-wagons. So I've tried to make this OB into a more serious road car / weekend track car...

On suspension, I run 245/45R18 tires, OB-Megan coilovers, COBB F/R Sways, and recently completed an OEM LGT caliper swap with new rotors and pads, and am very happy with the results.

Can post pics if interested.

-Ed

alignment.gif.c3b802e70222d5c5d814547353569f31.gif

Ok, here's 3 quick pics i snapped at work.

I have the OB Megan Coilovers set pretty much at the lowest height w/o removing preload from the spring. In fact, I actually ran into the CV boot tearing debacle because I lowered it too much.

the 245/45R18 tires are less than 0.2% smaller (OE Dia is 26.74", now it's 26.68") although in actuality it may even a little larger since there's less sidewall compliance.

the brakes still look small *sigh* but they are great for day to day driving, and hopefully the EBC Yellowstuff pads, and DBA 4000 rotors hold up to a track day @ laguna seca.

for the front sways (the OE LGT sways are slightly narrower than the OBXT ) I used the 5mm spacer solution.

hope this helps...

IMG_1291.JPG.ed10c91e3f5473bdbe7697f6f2b956aa.JPG

IMG_1292.JPG.3c57147d4784d7f1ef0441251bf05c4f.JPG

Rear.JPG.7de92f5b8e488fd8f102396fe9b14cbf.JPG

Ok, here's 3 quick pics i snapped at work.

I have the OB Megan Coilovers set pretty much at the lowest height w/o removing preload from the spring. In fact, I actually ran into the CV boot tearing debacle because I lowered it too much.

the 245/45R18 tires are less than 0.2% smaller (OE Dia is 26.74", now it's 26.68") although in actuality it may even a little larger since there's less sidewall compliance.

the brakes still look small *sigh* but they are great for day to day driving, and hopefully the EBC Yellowstuff pads, and DBA 4000 rotors hold up to a track day @ laguna seca.

for the front sways (the OE LGT sways are slightly narrower than the OBXT ) I used the 5mm spacer solution.

hope this helps...

Nice car, it looks VERY sharp!

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Thanks, gfxdave, but not as sweet as the spinning exhaust tip!

sebberry, the wheels are 18x8.5" Rota SVN's. Theres definitely a lot less sidewall flex both because of the reduced sidewall height and the increased tire pressure (5-10psi higher for street use). The tires I have on of BFG G-Force. I literally have about 3/8" to 1/2" of clearance between the tire and rubbing the spring perches. so close, but it's worth it, the grip is amazing now.

yup, it's about an inch from the actual shock body, it's just really close to the spring perch. i don't think I could have gotten it in with a stock suspension setup unless the spring perch for the shock didn't start until it cleared the tire (which I think it would?)

Well, if you are going to drop to LGT ride heigt wouldn't the LGT coilover give you the same drop with more aggressive rates and more tire clearance? If I remeber BoostJunkie said the LGT variant would actually go +0.5 in above stock LGT ride height. That would be perfect for the OB (provided nothing else was in the way)

Please tell me if I'm wrong.

how come theres no thread on what to do if you want to convert your legacy gt into an OBXT? haha.

Actually, I am thinking about it... I am in the market for another LGT wagon, and on that one I would like to raise the suspension a bit, about to the height of previous generation of Outbacks. There aren't many options... well, there is only one, Megan Racing coilovers, which I need yet to try out. Alternatively, aftermarket OB specific Bilsteins struts, but these are available only in Japan.

I guess that in order to do it properly, I'd have to put in the spacers and swap the lateral links... but I'll see.

Before you ask - no, I won't buy an OB. I just can't stand the slap on body cladding , especially on the doors. Meh. Smaller brakes and slower steering rack are deal breakers, too, especially teh latter.

= ( I think the cladding isn't bad...

yeah... OB negatives are definitely brakes, but my brakes are fixed, i found a pair of LGT calipers for $50 and slapped em on with better rotors and pads...

i think i can live without the steering rack...

I think the higher profile rack rails are ugly...

I don't like the turndown exhausts either...

on the positive side over the LGT wagons... OBs have larger wheel wells and overall diameter. I'm running 245/45R18 and thinking about 255's.

IMG_4794.JPG.f29261d4a59660dae6ac0d535d9d4499.JPG

IMG_4800.JPG.6a1f7e52a190598d46da0727e95189e7.JPG

IMG_4799.thumb.JPG.3b63358b5e71de163dd06eb4239fd7cc.JPG

IMG_4795.JPG.e838efdb0fa4844f4b9c919dc13a176d.JPG

Never wanted an Outback, at least never 2005+. Yuck.

I admit though my slightly lowered Legacy when loaded up with people and cargo can't leave pavement at all. Hence the plan for the Legacy #2 to ride bit over stock height (max to old Outback height) so I can navigate some dirt roads in it.

Archived