LegacyGT.com

Down pipe bolts - doubled on wrong side?

SlightlyEvil

I had an invidia downpipe installed by a shop in Buffalo who shall remain nameless for the time being, but they seem to have installed it very poorly. I took it into my friendly local dealership (actually very friendly) to have them get it up on the lift and look at it, and for some reason the two bolts where the UP mates to the turbo, the ones that are sort of wedged in by the DP, have had the bolts installed so they're doubled on the top side of the flange.

I have the high pitched whoosh sound when the car is under load, and there's a definite exhaust smell when it first starts up (not as big a deal as the sound) and I'm assuming its because this flange isn't tightened down properly, and I can't do it without taking the whole damn DP/CBE off... but is there a reason to install the bolts the way they did?

Is this something I could take the car to a local exhaust shop like speedy or midas and get them to do because it seems to be that speedshop had their heads on backwards when installing it?

edit: I nabbed this pic from the walkthrough on the crucial uppipe install but circled the bolts... see mine were done like this, but the dealership said they were wrong... ? Who's wrong here...

http://www.chrishoare.ca/upbolts.jpg

Typically you will need to take off the DP to tighten those 2 nuts. The Invidia DP in particular has a very large bellmouth and that makes it damn near impossible to get at the rear uppipe nuts with the DP in place. Probably the best tool to try and get in there would be a 14mm wrench that is cut in half. BTW, there is nothing wrong in the pic you posted.

If Phil checked I would have it checked again...... :lol:

The dealer is right - it does happen.

I have two large blisters on my fingers from yesterday, letting the exhaust cool down before working on it........priceless :lol:

I was more concerned by all of the DP bolts being loose, and one missing altogether :rolleyes:

Yea Phil was in there up to his elbows and was kind enough to cool down my exhaust using his bare hand - what I a guy. I assumed that it was just the DP bolts that were an issue, but the dealer called me back and asked me who installed it and insisted they were backwards... ? At first I thought they must be nuts because if it was backwards the stud just wouldn't be holding at all, its not stuck on there with silly putty, but they seemed adamant about it.

I guess they're stuffed though. I'm just going to take it to an exhaust shop and get them to retighten everything I guess. Or go buy some jackstands and tools and do it myself rather than subject Phil or his blistered hands to my car again!

Yea Phil was in there up to his elbows, I assumed that it was just the DP bolts that were an issue, but the dealer called me back and asked me who installed it and insisted they were backwards... ? At first I thought they must be nuts because if it was backwards the stud just wouldn't be holding at all, its not stuck on there with silly putty, but they seemed adamant about it.

I guess they're stuffed though. I'm just going to take it to an exhaust shop and get them to retighten everything I guess. Or go buy some jackstands and tools and do it myself rather than subject Phil or his blistered hands to my car again!

Bring it back over next weekend (along with some Moosehead to sooth the blisters) and we'll get drop the DP off and get those suckers tight. ;)

I would be very wary of a dealer who doesn't know which way the UP studs go in, although my local dealer put a hole in my gas tank, so who am I to say :lol:

FWIW some instructions for UPs tell you to install those two studs inverted (long threaded shank into UP flange, instead of the shorter side). That will allow better clearance for the DP to mate with the back of the turbo.

Maybe the dealer expected them to all be installed in the same manner.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

Phil yea CBI. If you can wait till Saturday I'll gladly pick your parts up for you and save you the gas as a favour for helping me out last weekend. Your call.

I was thinking about it and I wonder if its something they swapped on later LGTs - mine is a 2005. I know there were changes even to the 2005.5's and subsequent ones... ? Whatever.

Archived