LegacyGT.com

Anyone ever have an O2 sensor replaced?

Found my surging problem while driving was a bad O2 sensor, according to the dealer. I'm over my warranty, and the dealer (who's been great so far) is telling me it's gonna' be $345 installed.

WTF??

Anyone ever have to buy a new O2 sensor for these things?

Tim G.

Well, I found the OEM part online for $139 marked down to $100. In speaking with the dealer, his price of $345 includes the part ($136) and 2 hours' labor for installation, testing, etc.

I asked him what specific step which is involved in removing/reinstalling an O2 sensor takes 2 hours. He said it's the installaion itself, plus diagnostic time--where they also run diags against each of the other sensors to make sure they're showing correct resistance. They also check to see if any ECU firmware updates are applicable. Two hours, please. Now there's a 'flat rate' for ya'....wholy crap. Dunno. Still having a tough time getting to $345 on this.

I think this car's a lot of fun, and practical. It's basically been bullet-proof for me to date, 'cept for a leaky windshield gasket. With the depriciation on these cars falling like a stone-tied-to-a-piano, I sure hope this kind of crap doesn't become a routine--'cause I'm not sure I can afford to sell it.

Thanks for chiming-in guys....

Cheers,

Tim

Archived