LegacyGT.com

Perrin Header Blew-Out My O2 Sensor!!

DogLeggGT

So, I'm driving to Lowes earlier today and all of a sudden my car sounds like a racer with the performance of a horse and buggy. :eek: It sounds like there's a massive exhaust leak and it happened all at once. I limped home without any discernable turbo whatsoever. I called Cobb and quizzed the guy about what might have happened since my check engine light had been on and cruise control light flashing for a couple days and simply hadn't had the chance to make the call.

After a lot of head scratching, and listening to my car over the phone, he suggested that I should check the O2 sensor in the header, right behind the passenger side front wheel well. Sure enough I get on my back and there's the sensor hanging on by its wires, looking like the threads were stripped!

I take the car to the dealership adn they confirm that the O2 sensor was blown right out of the header bung. Threads not stripped, but ROLLED OVER like it was shot out of a cannon.

So we order a new ($$$) O2 sensor and she'll be installed tomorrow.

I called Perrin and the guy in tech suggested that when the sensor was removed from the OEM bung and threaded into the Perrin bung the threads were damaged, effectivly leaving less thread-mass to thread into the bung, hence weakened threads, hence the resultent projectile O2 sensor.

Anyone heard of this happening before?

I have Perrin headers and they are great. Granted I only have about 12,000 miles on them. I did buy them used though, so I figure there are about 20,000 miles on them total. I drive my car hard and I race in Rally X and Auto X. Zero problems so far.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

Sounds like someone either cross threaded it or over tightened it IMO. I'd make sure to clean the threads by running the correct size tap down it before putting the new sensor in just to be sure that any thread left over from the old sensor is gone.
Let's kick this pig!

While shooting the O2 sensor out of the manifold/header is a bit unusual, having the threads getting buggered up removing and reinstalling it is not that odd. That would certainly explain it coming loose. IIRC, BOXRPWR had his O2 sensor shoot out of his stock manifolds a while back, so this is not an issue with headers per se.

Sounds like someone either cross threaded it or over tightened it IMO. I'd make sure to clean the threads by running the correct size tap down it before putting the new sensor in just to be sure that any thread left over from the old sensor is gone.

yah, thanks for the suggestions. this is just what the guy from Perrin mentioned to me. make sure to take a look at the threads in the bung and put on the proper amount of antisieze.

Archived