LegacyGT.com

loosening Mid pipe...makes car sound like WRC

Canon20D

I was trying to figure out a way to go the Hogzaust, cause my bolts are really rusty. So i loosened the midpipe bolts (the ones with the springs) and man, that thing makes it sound Crazy awesome from idle up to about 4K. after that it sounds pretty bad, but it sounds great till then! Ill have to take a vid tomorrow...

Im wondering if anyone knows a way to add some spacers to that area, so it lets out some volume, but not making my car sound like pee after 4K rpm. The way I was looking at it, they bolts dont work the way they would on the end of the y pipe like the hogzaust does.

I was trying to figure out a way to go the Hogzaust, cause my bolts are really rusty. So i loosened the midpipe bolts (the ones with the springs) and man, that thing makes it sound Crazy awesome from idle up to about 4K. after that it sounds pretty bad, but it sounds great till then! Ill have to take a vid tomorrow...

welcome to my world, just unbolt the WHOLE thing off. Dont even bother with spacers.. if you want less of the rattling noise, just add a 2' x 2.5" pipe extension off the cat, and you'll have one nice sounding car.

My car sounds just fine for having a straight 4' section that terminates just behind the rear axle and I used my mid-pipe hanger as my final hanger to keep my 4' extension from hanging low due to the sheer weight.

You should see how it sounds if you had a full catless system from the turbo and run a short dump (run an open downpipe and have a final turn-down pipe to keep the flames off the car.

I have pics floating around here with my $40 custom catback exhaust ($20 worth of pipe, a welded hanger, and a slip-on flange to bolt up to the cat).. all legal for the race class I run my car in, and I saved over 40 lbs by doing it.

My next step will be an upgrade to a new downpipe (catless) with a 3.5" dia exit pipe instead of the 2.5" I run now.. it's going to be LOUD. Couple that with a stage 2 map, I expect a 50 whp/60 ft.lbs. gain easy.

Keefe

Archived