LegacyGT.com

???South Bend Clutches???

CRAZY KEN

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about this clutch company?

I need to replace my clutch soon and a friend recommended them. I just want to know all my options besdies SPEC and this company.

On another note, lightened flywheels...good or bad...pro and cons. What's all the hype about it? Why does one need it?

My ride is an everyday driver...sometimes spirited...few times tracked.

Thanks,

CRAZY KEN

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about this clutch company?

I need to replace my clutch soon and a friend recommended them. I just want to know all my options besdies SPEC and this company.

On another note, lightened flywheels...good or bad...pro and cons. What's all the hype about it? Why does one need it?

My ride is an everyday driver...sometimes spirited...few times tracked.

Thanks,

CRAZY KEN

lighten flywheels = reduced mass for faster spooling or quicker engine response.. the lighter it is, the faster the fly wheel to spin up or wind down.

good thing = performance for quick shifts, quick engine revs for rev-matching, less power engine loss due to less mass overall to rob the force/friction (F=MA).

bad thing = horrible for street use as it's hard to slip the clutch in for stop-and-go traffic.. you need to do more rev matching to get the car to move an inch since there's not as much mass, there's no momentum to keep the motor from stalling out. There's also possibility of throwing a CEL for mistiming.

Keefe

No experience with them on Subie but we did have one installed on the wifes A4. Clutch was installed about 30k back and is still good but I find the pedal to be too light, even lighter than stock even though it holds more power. So for a subie it might be a good fit since the pedal is somewhat firm and most wouldn't want anymore effort for driving in traffic.

south bend is a good clutch, my roommate is a vendor for them if you want to order one ;) he has one on his A4 and it has held up to his big turbos for a while now, and under some serious day to day abuse

afaik, unless things have changed since i bought my clutch, they don't make one for our cars. i haven't looked in a while, but you could get an 06rex flywheel and south bend 06rex clutch if they make one. from what i saw before it was only older style wrx/imprezas i thought

...who sells exedy/cusco/orc clutches and which stage should I get. I'll be installing the 18G late this year or early next.

Daw Je Sifu,

CRAZY KEN

Did you talk to Andrew at Andrewtech?? He has ALL the answers when it comes to tranny/clutch work.

Keefe

ugh....huh? thats not very good advice if they want you stay as close to the factor clutch as possible. ACT has to use its own lightweight flywheel or an 06WRX fly. a SPEC clutch can use the stock fly and bolt right up to it. I mean, I'm not trying to bash ACT, just the information you're giving isn't exactly correct in my opinion. exedy doesn't make a kit for the 05+ LGT either afaik.

How does the clutch feel compared to stock?

Is yours a solid surface, 6 puck, 4 puck or 3 puck disc?

Is yours single, double or triple disc?

What material is your clutch and why did you choose that type is material?

What made you get the flywheel as well?

What was your break=in period?

How much did you pay for the clutch, flywheel and installation?

Did you have to leave your car there for days?

Is the friction point the same?

Do you have to rev it up a bit more than usual to avoid stalling?

Sorry for all these questions, these are my final ones...I PROMISE!!! ;)

Xenonk- Sifu...your conclusions are important as well...

Thanks for everyones response...it has been really helpful,

CRAZY KEN

I boiled down my decision to these three companies. Hopefully from your conclusions, I can boil it down to 1. Thanks Again!!!

If I go with SPEC I would probably choose Stage 2+ (part# SU253A) and their steel medium weight Flywheel (part# SU25A)!

If I go with ACT I would probably choose HD Pressure Plate with Performance Street Disc and XACT Streetlite Flywheel!

If I go Exedy I would probably choose Stage 1 Organic Clutch part# 15804 and with it I HAVE to get the flywheel part$ FF502

confidence inspiring. you know its going to work when you put the pedal to the metal.

Is yours a solid surface, 6 puck, 4 puck or 3 puck disc?

Solid full faced goodness

Is yours single, double or triple disc?

Single

What material is your clutch and why did you choose that type is material?

carbon metallic

when i took the stock one out it was really burnt up. when i purchased the clutch i didn't have the intention of getting the flywheel, then i came across an extra $400, decided the flywheel would be a good investment

hmm, officially 500 miles i guess? i started dynoing the car with 350 miles on it. i had problems with my initial installation through the first 110 miles since I misaligned the pilot bearing upon installation. i would say i launched the car somewhere around 1000 miles. i don't drop it much now since i don't have the money to replace a transmission or broken axles at this point if something goes wrong with the HP i have, but she'll spin the wheels. so i normally just slip it really quickly and she goes ;)

tree fidy. no seriously, i did it myself, so blood, sweat and tears.

my car was down for a month for the engine rebuild, did it at the same time.

it would be if i didn't adjust my clutch pedal

perhaps. has more to do with my turbo choice than my clutch choice though

Sorry for all these questions, these are my final ones...I PROMISE!!! ;)

not a problem, i enjoy helping people

Xenonk- Sifu...your conclusions are important as well...

Thanks for everyones response...it has been really helpful,

CRAZY KEN

I boiled down my decision to these three companies. Hopefully from your conclusions, I can boil it down to 1. Thanks Again!!!

If I go with SPEC I would probably choose Stage 2+ (part# SU253A) and their steel medium weight Flywheel (part# SU25A)!

good choice w/ the 2+ thats what i would recommend for most applications.

If I go with ACT I would probably choose HD Pressure Plate with Performance Street Disc and XACT Streetlite Flywheel!

If I go Exedy I would probably choose Stage 1 Organic Clutch part# 15804 and with it I HAVE to get the flywheel part$ FF502

ugh....huh? thats not very good advice if they want you stay as close to the factor clutch as possible. ACT has to use its own lightweight flywheel or an 06WRX fly. a SPEC clutch can use the stock fly and bolt right up to it. I mean, I'm not trying to bash ACT, just the information you're giving isn't exactly correct in my opinion. exedy doesn't make a kit for the 05+ LGT either afaik.

Meaning you don't want to go with a clutch with too much pressure over factory. They said 30-40% is good, I think? I'm not sure exactly, but this is from Cobb, not some cheap shop. I went with the ACT because it was recommended to me from a well known Subaru tuner and it has a lightweight flywheel to go with it, made specifically for LGTs.

I don't know why you're constantly trying to bash me. :confused: I know I almost went with a Spec clutch, but when local well known tuners (Cobb and Solid) tell me to avoid a Spec clutch and go with an Exedy or ACT street setup, I'm going to trust them over anybody. Nothing personal against you, man.

Parts and labor are A LOT of money for a clutch/flywheel and they can lead into bigger problems if you don't go with the correct setup... This is why I did my research. I'm sure the Spec is a great clutch, judging from what you have told me, but it's still a young company compared to ACT so they are not known as well.

No hard feelings?

I'll answer as many of these as I can for you:

Similar, just a lot grippier!

Quicker revving; more responsiveness

From what I understand, all clutches need about 1000 miles

ACT street disc and XACT flywheel $830... I got hooked up on install. My synchros needed to be replaced (warranty!) and they threw in the parts no charge since the trans was already out.

Two weeks... But they had a lot more to do. Should only take a day to do.

Close... A bit touchy with the lightwieght flywheel

Off the line, yes.

http://www.harmanmotive.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_217_219_306&products_id=1356

I was way happy with these guys... They will price match anybody. I got mine for $830 shipped!

Check out this thread I started a couple days ago:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69603

Whatever clutch you go with, make sure you go with the lightweight flywheel. I have done this in every car I've ever owned. It's just a little touchy off the line, but it's not too bad. I can't wait to launch this car!!!

• 3 weeks later...

What clutch did you finally go with, Crazy Ken?

My clutch is just about broke in. I've become so used to driving my Outback that my Legacy has become difficult to drive in regular traffic at low speeds. That flywheel really likes those higher RPMs... I think it's worth it, though. The car is amazingly responsive.

Archived