LegacyGT.com

Downshifting w/ 5EAT and Rev Matching

zach999

Yeah there is no clutch? You rev match with the clutch in. How can you rev while you are in gear... Unless you go to neutral and rev before you drop it into the gear. think this would be almost impossible to do. Don't the 5eats shift fairly smooth on there own. I mean its a auto right...

Blipping would probably result in more tranny slippage than what is already occurring. Probably won't notice a huge difference, but over a long period of time you might find you need to replace your 5EAT slightly sooner, or feel the need to upgrade your valve body at a place like IPT.

REV MATCHING is a driving technique for shifting a manual transmission smoothly. One simply memorizes approximately how many RPMs different the various gears are from one another at the same speed, and then matches the engine's revs with the gear they are shifting in to. When upshifting, you just let the revs drop and slip into gear. When downshifting, you tap the throttle (or stomp on it depending on how long it takes to rev up.) This is often referred to as 'blipping' it. This works easily primarily because of the syncromesh gears in your transmission; if your transmission does not have them, this is very, very difficult to do without grinding. Even so, it takes the right touch.

For example, in one car the gears might all be approximately 1,000 RPM apart at the same speed. When downshifting from third to second, for example, you would apply accelerator pressure to raise the engine RPMs by 1,000 (say, from 3,000 to 4,000) and make your shift. You can then use engine braking to reduce your speed.

This practice results in reduced brakewear, less of a lurch when shifting from a higher gear to a lower one, less clutchslippage when shifting from a lower gear to a higher one, and a smoother shift without having to slip the clutch so much.

In autoracing, one often uses the more advanced form of this activity, heel-toeing (Alternately heel-toe braking or heel-toe downshifting) in which one's heel is on the brake pedal, decelerating, while the toe is on the gas pedal, accelerating. This allows the use of both the brakes and the engine to perform braking

REV MATCHING is .......

In autoracing, one often uses the more advanced form of this activity, heel-toeing (Alternately heel-toe braking or heel-toe downshifting) in which one's heel is on the brake pedal, decelerating, while the toe is on the gas pedal, accelerating. This allows the use of both the brakes and the engine to perform braking

Close and close

Rev Matching is a term, not a technique. Rev Matching means matching the engine revs to the gear the transmission is in. It is NOT a MT only technique. The difference between AT and MT Rev Matching is that the computer does all the matching in an AT while the driver does it with an MT.

Bliping or mashing would be techniques.

Heel toeing is done with the heel on the gas and the toe on the brake... being that the brake pedal is higher than the gas and your toe is higher than your heel. In autoracing it is done for 2 main reasons and engine braking isn't one of them. 1) In a forced induction engine it is used to keep the boost up while still slowing down for a turn 2) it is used in AWD cars to balance the load front to rear for a turn

Others will will comment on the importance of those 2 reasons but I'm sure most will agree engine braking is not very helpful on the track

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Close and close

Rev Matching is a term, not a technique. Rev Matching means matching the engine revs to the gear the transmission is in. It is NOT a MT only technique. The difference between AT and MT Rev Matching is that the computer does all the matching in an AT while the driver does it with an MT.

Bliping or mashing would be techniques.

Heel toeing is done with the heel on the gas and the toe on the brake... being that the brake pedal is higher than the gas and your toe is higher than your heel. In autoracing it is done for 2 main reasons and engine braking isn't one of them. 1) In a forced induction engine it is used to keep the boost up while still slowing down for a turn 2) it is used in AWD cars to balance the load front to rear for a turn

Others will will comment on the importance of those 2 reasons but I'm sure most will agree engine braking is not very helpful on the track

agreed and well put.

YOU CAN REV MATCH AN AUTO. i don't know on the 4eat, if manual shift is available like on the 5EAT. as for "blipping" the throttle, i'm still unsure exactly what you mean by that. what i do is just lightly tap on the gas as i shift down, not very long or hard, just a tap on the gas/throttle.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

My 08 GT has rev matching..

"Standard 5-speed adaptive electronic SPORTSHIFT® automatic with downshift rev-matching control"

that is new for 07/08. however the 05/06 does not have that.

"you guys are idiots" Greg House.

hahaha

when i think they mean is when downshifting manually, if you don't "rev match" you will be engine braking.

for all you drivers out there with an automatic, you MUST use brake and gas at the same time to get what you are asking for in this thread. i used to do this on my old auto mazda protege 5 when taking a corner. i also believe left foot brake is nothing new.

good day.

isnt there is a slight delay in the sportshift of a 5EAT when you downshift? This would make it possible to rev match.

with the VB upgrade, my delay is very small, hardly noticeable. now that i'm used to the car as is, it's hard to remember what it did before.

Archived