LegacyGT.com

Turbo Issues

Reluctantly, I found out from Ru yesterday that my wastegate was stuck open. Subaru claimed the noise I was hearing was a heat shield rattle. Guess what I got my power, now that I can hold boost. I will reflash to stage 1 this weekend and read some live boost readings to find out the truth. The tech at the dealership said he checked out my turbo and said it is in excellent shape. So I'm going to be staying the course and going stage 2 to get my legacy to where it needs to be. SubiGt did you upgrade your intercooler for stage 2? If not how has the stock panned out? I'm wanting to get an AVO TMI intercooler for fitment and quality, I wouldn't be against perrin, would the avo be enough or would I have to do Perrin TMI because its bigger for the vf40 at 300awtq down the road?

Glad to hear that it was something simple .... my car has close to 67k miles on in ... the turbo looks great .. I just replaced the DP recently with a catless one ... and I have the heat down here in AZ as well... btw I have been running PP 10w30.

Glad to hear that it was something simple .... my car has close to 67k miles on in ... the turbo looks great .. I just replaced the DP recently with a catless one ... and I have the heat down here in AZ as well... btw I have been running PP 10w30.

How has oil consumption been with Penzoil and what shape is your intercooler in after a summer in the desert, modded? I've heard good things about Penzoil also, maybe I'll try them out instead of Amsoil.

SubiGt did you upgrade your intercooler for stage 2? If not how has the stock panned out? I'm wanting to get an AVO TMI intercooler for fitment and quality, I wouldn't be against perrin, would the avo be enough or would I have to do Perrin TMI because its bigger for the vf40 at 300awtq down the road?

Glad you got it figured out.

I have the AVO v1 TMIC. I believe it will be more then adequate for a vf-40/18g(especially with WI), but would prolly be a bottleneck for anything larger then an 18g compressor wheel.

My goals are not max power/speed, but a fast and reliable daily driver that sees the occasional track day.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you can add me to the list of turbo failures as well.

2005 LGT 5spd - 51k miles. All maintenance performed on or ahead of schedule by a Subaru dealership. Oil changes every 3k-3.5k miles throughout its entire life.

Well, you can add me to the list of turbo failures as well.

2005 LGT 5spd - 51k miles. All maintenance performed on or ahead of schedule by a Subaru dealership. Oil changes every 3k-3.5k miles throughout its entire life.

Any idea what caused the failure? E.G. Banjo bolts?

Tragic man, when it happened what were the symptoms, and were you out of oil?

It's actually on its way out but hasn't blown yet. It's making a strange, metallic rattling sound but is actually still running ok. I thought it was something in the exhaust but it turned out to be the turbo according to the dealership - didn't look at it myself.

I've always checked and changed the oil religiously. They tried to blame it on my oil-change interval and acted like they were doing me a favor by replacing it until I proceeded to tell them that I change my oil every 3500 miles or so with full synth - I've kept every receipt as well so it was easy to prove. He just shurgged and said they would call me when the new turbo was in so we could schedule the service.

I think Subaru is telling the dealerships to blame this issue on the service interval since the manuals for the '05 state that the oil only needs to be changed every 7k miles or whatever it is. Apparently manuals for the new models have been changed to say that all turbo motors are considered "severe service" and should have oil changes every 3k miles. I told them that's BS because I did every 3.5k or so with full synth which should be at least as good as every 3k with conventional oil and look what it got me.

Basically, if mine could blow up, all of them are suspect.

Do you boost before the vehicle reaches operating temperature?

The car wouldn't run without some boost. If you're asking if I routinely go WOT on a cold engine, the answer is no.

I also followed the initial break-in process to a "T".

How did I know it was going to be that. :confused:

I don't know - could it be that Mobile 1 is about the best selling, most popular brand of full synthetic motor oil?

I hope you're not seriously trying to blame this issue on synthetic oil. Even Subaru didn't try that one on me :lol:

I don't know - could it be that Mobile 1 is about the best selling, most popular brand of full synthetic motor oil?

I hope you're not seriously trying to blame this issue on synthetic oil. Even Subaru didn't try that one on me :lol:

:lol: I'm certainly not trying to blame this issue on Mobil 1. I LOVE mobil 1. I've used it all my past cars! I use it in my wifes Honda Pilot. HOWEVER, there is a trend on this forum with engine/turbo failures and Mobil 1. Coincidence? Hopefully. Sorry to open that can of worms, best of luck to you.

- The Mortgage Man

I had been using mobil 1 the whole time, and I a couple of oil changes there was a quart of oil of consumption. I just switched to penzoil platinum synthetic 5w-30, we will see how this oil is, especially now that I'm stage 2.

:lol: I'm certainly not trying to blame this issue on Mobil 1. I LOVE mobil 1. I've used it all my past cars! I use it in my wifes Honda Pilot. HOWEVER, there is a trend on this forum with engine/turbo failures and Mobil 1. Coincidence? Hopefully. Sorry to open that can of worms, best of luck to you.

Sorry. I misunderstood. I think it's probably coincidence. Since so many of us use Mobile 1 or some other type of full synth on our turbo cars, a certain percentage of the failures that occurr for unrelated reasons are bound to happen on cars that use full synthetic oil - law of averages...

I had been using mobil 1 the whole time, and I a couple of oil changes there was a quart of oil of consumption. I just switched to penzoil platinum synthetic 5w-30, we will see how this oil is, especially now that I'm stage 2.

I had some light oil consumption in the first 15k miles or so (about 1/2 quart per 3500 miles) but it stopped after that and now my car doesn't use a drop between oil changes. I've used Mobile 1 the whole time.

I think your oil consumption will drop off but it's more likely because your engine is wearing in, not because you switched oil brands.

I had some light oil consumption in the first 15k miles or so (about 1/2 quart per 3500 miles) but it stopped after that and now my car doesn't use a drop between oil changes. I've used Mobile 1 the whole time.

I think your oil consumption will drop off but it's more likely because your engine is wearing in, not because you switched oil brands.

You know what, that explanation makes sense, never had any major consumption but a couple times I was down a quart. I won't say that mobil 1 is the cause of turbo failures I would be more likely to think its because of the cat breaking down on the up pipe or even the banjo bolt on top of the turbo failing or coming loose for some members on here.

Archived