LegacyGT.com

Turbo Issues

I'm so pissed, but I'm thinking I'm going to be part of the turbo failure club in the very near future. Last night i was driving home and after 5 grand i could hear a noise coming from the turbo, it sounded like a loud shudder, almost like there was interference coming from my turbo. I've been checking my oil for the few months every 3 days, my oil level is fine, I just flashed to stage one a week ago, which I just de-installed since i have to take my legacy to the dealership, the only mod i have is a perrin exhaust. My car has always felt like a dog top end, I've never driven another legacy, but man right now after tonight, i will say my car feels like crap off the line and top end and I'm sure its not normal, lol i was getting on the high way tonight and it took to 80 to pass an integra getting on the high way with a fart can. That's when I started thinking there might be a problem... I never drive my car over 5k, because it feels like it has absolutely 0 power after 5, like its loosing acceleration. There is no pull to redline, I'll tell you that. I had a prelude 5 speed before this car and an accord 2 door v6, and I know my legacy has never been able to be my accord in power and it shouldn't be that way.... We'll see what the dealer has to say, I'm going to drop it off and I'm at 35,900 miles, i have driven this car to red line no more than 20 times in the 26k I've had it. Needless to say, i'm not imprressed with my RU... right now. I will let you know what the dealer has to say....

Ya dude, without a doubt man, I just got back from driving my legacy to the dealership for the second time today because I left my phone in my car:rolleyes: When I went back, the service guy that had helped me said that he had the chance to take my car around the block to confirm my noise and he said without really looking it feels and sounds like the turbo needs to be replaced...... glad I didn't put stage 2 on, I'm super hesistant now to do so.....

I swear I've had some terrible luck with cars at times, lol the only good car I've ever owned was the accord. I put almost 100k in miles on it and only had to replace motor mounts and axles for repairs. I was hoping I could get somewhat comparable reliability out of the legacy with good maintenance, definitely not looking that way, granted they are two totally different cars but for a major component to go out at 36k with hardly any shifts at redline, I've never gotten into redline since I bought the car, I've never launched my legacy. I won't drive my car in a manner that I think would break it or put major stress on it. Just frustrating to have this happen, oh and of course I was supposed to be going on date tonight with the one of the more attractive females that have crossed my path in a minute guess that will have to wait.:lol:

A blown turbo will ruin your weekend...

1. Did you get a nice loaner car for the date?

2. You will be happy with the new found performance of the car once the turbo has been fixed!

3. Can you better describe the sound it's making?

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

1. No loaner yet, till they fully diagnose it on Monday, definitely not happy about that.

2. I should be happy with the car after I get my turbo fixed, but man I don't think I'll be doing stage 2, at least not without an upgraded intercooler which is pricey.... I would hate to blow a tab and then blow my new turbo because the intercooling wasn't functioning properly....

3. The sound... it sounds like when you stick a piece of paper in a running fan, kind of like that, the car was trembling hard at I would say it started at 4.5 to 5k rpm range. It didn't feel like fuel to me though the stumbling and with the loud noise coming from the right side of my engine compartment when i was boosting hard, seems like the noise and the way the car was performing it is a turbo issue, can't say for sure though. I don't have a boost gauge and I never had a chance to run accessport while driving, seeing how I had it installed for a week. I was planning on checking out my boost level readings this weekend, I have no doubt I wasn't hitting anywhere close what I should be for boost, maybe hitting 10psi would be my guess or maybe even 9, and thats in 3rd and 4th gear. After struggling to beat a nasty integra on the highway, I knew my car was telling me S.O.S. Since I'm at 35,900 miles I couldn't afford to do any test driving and trouble shooting, I was thinking fuel wouldnt be covered under the powertrain warrranty now that my bumper to bumper is almost up.

Oh and one last thing last week after I went up to mount evans when I was on 70 my temp gauge for the first time ever was higher than the midway point, probably a notch or two higher than that. I pulled off on an exit and drove it out of boost for a couple miles for it to go back down. I figured being on the highway with my AC and being boosted at about 3.7rpm for an hour might have been what caused the engine temp to rise. I forgot to mention the day before i went up I checked my oil level and noticed it was a little low, I was able to add a quart to get it back to full. I'm using mobil 1, which I won't be using when i change next. I could also smell antifreeze when I pulled over, I wanted to chalk these symptoms up to the high altitude but maybe it wasn't, any one have any ideas on what else it could be....

Ya they sure are, man I have babied this car, I had two hondas before this one, one was a 99 accord v6 which had every bolt on and was tuned with a vafc, I drove that car sprited, never had a major problem for almost a 100k, bought a prelude 5 speed afterward, had to fix the 5th gear synchro, other than that, car was solid for 35k, I didn't drive it hard at all, never launched the car once, just like my legacy i own now. Definitely seems like our turbo have not been built to last a 100k, which should be the minimum amount of miles for a maintained turbo to go out. I hate to say this, and never thought I would but i wish I would have kept my accord, put a comptech supercharger on it and replace the auto tranny when it blew, I would have had a reliable 'fun', not necesarily lightning fast, but fun car, that would have run that way for at least another 100k which is much more than I can say for my lgt.

Oh and I told the girl I was supposed to go out with tonight that my car wasn't in commission and i would need a ride if we went out, shortly after that comment, like 30 seconds, it was, "Why don't you call me up when you're car is running, i'm going to just stay in tonight." :mad: Damn RU! Man... insult to injury

You know, she could pick up some take out and stay at your place for a "date".

In all seriousness, best of luck to you on the turbo situation. I've been monitoring the blown turbo threads and it does make me hesitant in going Stage2.

When I went to subaru the service rep he mentioned that the lgt turbo has had cooling issues I asked him if there was anything preventative I could do for it and he didn't have an answer..... he said that he has seen quite a few legacies come in between 30 and 50k with turbo failures, he told me not to worry that if it were the turbo they will fix it, but still.... what am I going to do after I get the car back? I want to go stage 2, I have the down pipe and up pipe sitting in my basement but what i don't want is to have to pay thousands when my turbo fails again in 35k or less after I go stage 2.... definitely very dissapointed with subaru. I remember when everyone who was buying mitsu turbos were complaing about how the turbo was failing at 70 - 80k, I remember being told by so many people that subaru was the most reliable way to go if you wanted a turbo and you wanted reliablity as long as you take care of the car. Now seeing all the people on here with blown turbos and some motors before 50k, that is pathetic, I would hate to think that subaru is building 30,000$ cars that are almost garanteed to need a major repair(ie, tranny, engine, turbo, awd) before 100k. This is my first subaru, more than likely will be my last if subaru can't figure out a way to make their turbos in lgt last, I originally was going to get an 03 maxima 6 speed for the proven reliabilty and solid performance records, hindsight is always 20/20 and seeing how I'm not an all out speed junky by any means I just want solid power to get me to and from work with a little fun on the weekends. So far i still haven't gotten what i'm looking for out of the lgt.... I love the body style and interior, never had anything but praise for the redesign, but the drive train is very questionable. Its bad enough that i have the stutter which has its days that it drives me nuts, I've already had my ecu replaced for the cooling fan relay, my drivers window needs to be replaced, I have had to go the dealership for 4 headlight bulbs, and 1 taillight bulb. All in 26k that I've owned it. I never had that many problems in such a short time with any car I've owned, but I've come from honda which are IMO a much more reliable car than a subaru. Maybe doesn't have the performance but i'll sacrifice that for not being stranded on the side of the road...

what am I going to do after I get the car back? I want to go stage 2, I have the down pipe and up pipe sitting in my basement but what i don't want is to have to pay thousands when my turbo fails again in 35k or less after I go stage 2....

i rolled stg2 from around 7-8k to 20k no problem

if you want to mod, you have to be willing to see "premature failures" if you want the stock shit to last to 80-90k then you will have to use just that, stock shit.

if the turbo blows and you are running a modded car, the only logical choice for a person that wants to mod is to go bigger in every aspect (cooling,feuling,boosting,building) to avoid failure and retain the performance you want.

you will find no sympathy here. (with me or the other people that bought this car to have fun in[i.e. mod])

i rolled stg2 from around 7-8k to 20k no problem

if you want to mod, you have to be willing to see "premature failures" if you want the stock shit to last to 80-90k then you will have to use just that, stock shit.

if the turbo blows and you are running a modded car, the only logical choice for a person that wants to mod is to go bigger in every aspect (cooling,feuling,boosting,building) to avoid failure and retain the performance you want.

you will find no sympathy here. (with me or the other people that bought this car to have fun in[i.e. mod])

I've already received quite a bit of sympathy on here from other members, thats not what I was looking for, I'm looking for answers on how to make this car fun, since I'm stuck with it for the next 3 years till I pay it off since I just got a new place. I can't afford to go to a higher car payment just to get a reliable car.

The stock shit(ie turbo and computer(05s)) don't last even for 50k on enough lgts that its noticeable is all i'm saying. My car has had a cat back, that is it, which should make my turbo run a little cooler alleviating back pressure. I wouldn't consider it a mod that should ruin my turbo at 35k.

I'm glad you haven't experienced my issues and that you have gotten the reliability i believe you should have with just a turbo back and accessport.

I never bought the lgt to be a 'race' car. I bought it to be a fun everyday driver like most members on here that aren't as hardcore as yourself. So what could i do to protect my turbo from overheating, besides a turbo timer, which is questionable on our rides?

If you don't mind me asking, what is the build date of your LGT? Mine is 11/04.

Have most of the turbo failures occurred on MY05 cars or does it run the entire gamut of this Legacy generation?

I'm at 35.6k and went stage1 (still stock UP) roughly two weeks ago and am planning to go stage2 within a few months. Right now, I'm accruing all of the stage2 components.

My vehicle has seen oil changes from 3500-5100 miles with synthetics and the so-called synthetics. The oils that were used for the previous three oil changes were all 5w40's. The region where I live and operate my vehicle gets fairly hot (+108F). I do try and allow the turbo to cool down a bit (although it's unnecessary) by ensuring that I drive gently before I park/turn off the vehicle.

I just turned 39K tonight, stage 1 from 4K, stage 2+ from 22K(dyno 253/273 on a Mustang and CA91 gas). Was running Mobil 1 for most of it's life, recently went Redline though. When the turbo goes, in goes a VF-40/18g and WI.

I budget for failures.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

^^^^^

Agreed.

I budget for emergencies and automotive failure/repair is one of them. Lately, I've been researching the VF40/18G and it's supporting hardware and software/firmware.

What weight Redline are you using?

I went w/ 5w-30 this time and am monitoring level weekly and by mileage(500). Mobil1 was losing @1qt per 3000 miles. We'll see how many miles the Redline stays in the crankcase. If it makes it to 5K and stays full, I'll keep using it that way and get a UOA done on the next change.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Gotcha.

I'm going to run a few OCIs with the Rotella 5w40 and send off a sample or two for analysis. After the Rotella OCIs and analysis, I might try the Redline 5w40.

When the car was running Mobil1 10w30 (two OCIs) it consumed roughly a quart every 3000 miles. So far, the Mobil1 (in my car) has had the highest consumption rate whereas the others (PP, Amsoil, Rotella) seem to average 1qt every 5k.

I was thinking about going Amsoil synthetic, I've heard good things about it for our rides. I'm planning on picking up an upgraded intercooler but it won't be for a couple months. If I blew my turbo and wanted to go the sti turbo route setup how much am i looking at getting a thorough kit for? Would I need to replace my ecu to run the sti turbo or would I be good with my legacy ecu and accessport?

Today is a new day, yesterday I was grumpy, being stuck at home all day, now I want to know what is my best follow up plan if/when my new turbo goes out, I don't want huge power, All i'm wanting is 300awhtq really. What is my cheapest way to go that is still relibale after my new turbo goes out? I've looked at the avo380 but its a pretty penny without a doubt, not to mention upgrading fuel cost too. My plan now is to get a turbo kit to replace my current one when it fails again, could people non stock turbos chime in on their setup.... thanks.

A new intercooler won't make your turbo last any longer, it just provides a cooler charge to the intake manifold. It will allow you to make more boost before detonation, so it prolly shortens turbo life by allowing us to turn up the boost a bit.

You can do an STI swap w/o needing an STI ECU. You will need a custom tune on the LGT ECU though.

Your best bet for long turbo life is an ball-bearing catridge with oil and water cooling. Your goal of 300awtq is easily attainable with a vf-40, but you would be pushing it's limits(and lifespan).

I have no info to add about the cost of an STI swap.

Your best bet for long turbo life is an ball-bearing catridge with oil and water cooling. Your goal of 300awtq is easily attainable with a vf-40, but you would be pushing it's limits(and lifespan).

This sounds like the best idea when it goes, maybe by TEC out here and get them to upgrade the cartridge, what else would be beneficial to upgrade on the vf40 besides the cartridge, anyone get theirs rebuilt?

This sounds like the best idea when it goes, maybe by TEC out here and get them to upgrade the cartridge, what else would be beneficial to upgrade on the vf40 besides the cartridge, anyone get theirs rebuilt?

I personally am going to get a VF-40/18g when mine goes. I know it's not a ball-bearing cartridge, but I don't think I really need one . When I put on the new turbo, I am going to add a water/alcohol injection system. I will then dyno tune it within an inch of it's life in the heat of summer, then detune a bit for long life.

Archived