LegacyGT.com

Snow chains - in August?!?!

geez I've driving in every weather condition known to man my home state ND is notrious for crazy weather changes but when I was here in college in upstate NY. We had more than a foot of snow and I had no problem driving around with my LGT. It just takes experience and knowing what to do. I still laugh at some people who drive SUV's and they get stuck with no experience of them knowing what to do.

Regardless, I think it's a requirement that if you head into the mountains that you have chains in your car. CHP will stop you and turn you around regardless if your 4wd or AWD. Outside of Bishop in Mammoth, there have been CHP check points. Never seen them at BB but I would assume that they do the same.

Practice a bit, take your time, and always allow extra stopping / following distance when you're driving.

Have fun and be safe out there!

it's all about getting a feel for how your cars drives in the snow.

.........Studded tires are illegal in CA.

Not true.

From the California DOT website:

"Studded snow tires are permitted in California from November 1 until April 30 each year. During this time, studded tires are permitted in any location within the state. Studded snow tires are not considered tire traction devices and may not be used in lieu of chains."

You guys are a wealth of info - that helps tremendously. Looks like the Z-Chain is the best one ( http://www.scc-chain.com/Traction%20Pages/Trac_ZChain.html ) as it uses smaller connectors to create more room when working in a tight wheel well AND doesn't use tighteners, which apparently can damage the rim. That's precisely what I was looking for.

And for those of you who think that you can get around snowy conditions without a need for chains, I agree with one post that I've been up to Big Bear on multiple occasions and they're turning around AWD's, 4x4's, etc. unless they carry chains, sometimes even enforcing a mandatory installation to proceed past a checkpoint!

Not true.

From the California DOT website:

"Studded snow tires are permitted in California from November 1 until April 30 each year. During this time, studded tires are permitted in any location within the state. Studded snow tires are not considered tire traction devices and may not be used in lieu of chains."

I stand corrected. My apologies to erito. :)

Archived