LegacyGT.com

Snow chains - in August?!?!

Yes, I know this question may be a bit premature, but I'm a thinker and a planner. I bought my Subie recently and plan on taking it up the mountains for frequent snowboarding trips. Does anybody know how these things handle in the snow? Is the AWD sufficient, or are chains needed? I read in the manual that chains won't fit it - is that true? I used to drive "an old Hyundai" - Ticks reference? Anybody? Anybody? Anyways, when I would put chains on it, I couldn't go over 20-25 without the chains beating the fenderwell. Is that the case with the 08 Legacy when they say chains won't fit? Perhaps some of you may have a little expertise in this area to share. Thanks! :eek:

Get All Season Tires... I go to school in upstate NY and we get more than enough snow for powder snowboarding. AWD will do you just fine.. just get a good set of all seasons. I'm wrapped in Continental Conti Extreme Contacts.. they suit me well and gets the job done

Chains aren't required with vehicles with AWD. Now just because you have AWD doesn't mean the car will stick to the snow. Still exercise caution. You are still limited by your tires. If they aren't all season, forget about it. Tires like Goodyear F1GSD are summer tires and you will die if you try to use those in the snow.

You can get cables to fit, but not officially recommended by SOA. I don't think you can get them to fit since you have 18" wheels.

Yep, all seasons will suit you fine here in Cali. Once it gets to the point where they require chains on awd, they tend to just close the road so you head back to the cabin/home with your snow bunny. Last couple times I went with my stock yoko's, they served me fine.

If you're a snowboarder, you will eventually want to get a second set of wheels and tires when your stock AS die. Dedicated summer tires are much better (and safer) than AS. Dedicated winter tires are much better (and safer) than AS. We have just that set up on our OBXT. It is totally worth it.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

You'll be fine. I've charged through a foot of snow a couple of time with my S60 Turbo with all seasons and the tranny in winter mode. I'm sure the Subaru will be more than enough, especially here in CA. I don't think it's worth getting a second set of tires and wheels here cause honestly, how often to do you hit the slopes, a couple of times a month at the most right? And those times you do, it's probably not snowing and if it is the roads are plowed.

Yes, I know this question may be a bit premature, but I'm a thinker and a planner. I bought my Subie recently and plan on taking it up the mountains for frequent snowboarding trips. Does anybody know how these things handle in the snow? Is the AWD sufficient, or are chains needed? I read in the manual that chains won't fit it - is that true? I used to drive "an old Hyundai" - Ticks reference? Anybody? Anybody? Anyways, when I would put chains on it, I couldn't go over 20-25 without the chains beating the fenderwell. Is that the case with the 08 Legacy when they say chains won't fit? Perhaps some of you may have a little expertise in this area to share. Thanks! :eek:

When you say mountains... what are you referring to?

Big Bear/Snow Summit/etc - Not enough snow on the ground, more like black ice. You'll need something to cut into it. A/S will get you into trouble through those windy passes.

Mt High - you'll never need chains.

Mammoth - By the time chains are required for AWD... it's best to either stay put, or get out of town. They do a hell of a job plowing, so I've only once needed chains there (on my landcruiser)

Personally, I've never had to put chains/cables on on XT, but have been looking at these....http://www.spike-spider.com/. quite expensive though.

If you're driving in CA/NV, then the road will almost never be open when AWD + M&S tires aren't enough. Unless you've got summer tires, you should be fine without chains/cables.

Agreed. If you have AWD and M&S rated tires, chains or cables aren't required during chain restrictions. In the Sierra, they typically close the highway if anything more is needed. I suspect the same is true of the roads up to Big Bear and Wrightwood.

At the same time, don't drive like an idiot. Just because you have AWD doesn't mean the car will remain in control when you try to take that 30 mph corner at 50 mph. I've gotten my car sliding while creeping through unplowed corners at 5mph.

It will be Big Bear area, which has very windy roads and multiple areas for black ice to sneak up on you. I've been with a buddy in the past who has 4-wheel drive on his SUV, and he still had to put chains on. It was one heck of a ride! I'm assuming I should keep chains as a backup, but most likely be okay with the stock all seasons. I was concerned as someone mentioned chains not fitting, or possibly damaging my 18s???

Are you sure you have all season tires? I don't know what comes on those 08 legacys but I know on my car subaru put on summer tires on my 18s. I know the people rolling on stock 17s came with allseasons, I just don't know about 18s.

I'll offer a dissenting opinion. I had all-season tires and still managed to mess my ride up pretty good up in mammoth on a patch of black ice. From now I'm keeping a pair of cables just in case...
...sporting the hottest Legacy on the westside of my block:icon_bigg

Subaru's official position is that cables and chains won't fit. If you ask, they may point you to SSC, who claims their cables fit cars that won't fit chains, but Subaru's official position is still "don't do it."

I bought cables (from SSC) only because of an obscure WA law that says AWD vehicles must carry traction devices, but only need to install them if directed by an officer. I've never been asked to install them in >15 years of ski/snowboard trips driving AWD, but I got some just in case. I figure if I got denied just ONCE on a day when it's dumping snow, then I'd regret not having them.

I have Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip Ice tires for the winter, and I'm happy with them. They're not a true snow tire but they do have the M+S and mountain-snowflake logos. If I did it again though I'd probably get a more hardcore snow tire. I won't drive hard on these tires even when the roads are in good shape, so I'd really lose nothing.

I grew up in northern Illinois / Wisconsin, and have done lots of driving on snow / ice / sleet, etc. The one thing to ALWAYS remember about AWD and snow is that it is easier to get started than to STOP! AWD gives you absolutely no advantage in stopping (everyone has AWD brakes :lol: ). Tires of any type won't make much of a difference if you brake hard and begin to slide. :eek:

Take some time and do a little practice driving in the snow, and remember to take your time. So many folks in Cali drive in adverse weather so seldom that they really suck at this specialized driving skill. When it rains or snows in the desert here, normally good drivers often act like drunk pigs on ice. Please don't become one of them! :mad:

Practice a bit, take your time, and always allow extra stopping / following distance when you're driving.

Have fun and be safe out there!

Yeah, you'll never need them at Mountain High :wub: , you only have maybe 4 miles to drive in the snow and it's usually not icy. I remember a couple of years back in my Volvo, it took us 5 hours to get from the the bottom of the mountain to our cabin in Running Springs because everybody had to chain up even there was 2 inches of wet snow :spin: . When we got to the road in to the cabin, it was a foot of unplowed goodness. I took of the chains and continued from there.

Archived