LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket Wheels/Tires

axis008

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='axis008'][quote name='SUBE555']I hate the polished lip. Make it one color.[/quote] I am with SUBE on this one. Unfortunate thing is that polished lips seem to be the more popular choice... But I find it so unattractive! :([/quote] I like the polished lip. :P ...and contrary to "popular opinion" here, I don't think polished lips bring about any "boy racer" image, it has almost an opposite effect on me. I find polished lips to have a more upscale, classier look to them.

[quote name='SUBE555']Well at least we can agree to disagree. :mrgreen:[/quote] Yeah. :D I think the wheels are an integral part of the car's overall look. The overall look matters the most to me, which is why I like the GIALLA Legacy, which just so happens to have those wheels. 8)

FWIW, I am transferring my 17 inch SSR Comp's (anthracite/silver lips)from my WRX to the GT when I get it. I love the SSR's! 12/13lbs a piece - makes acceleration so sweet. The polished lip does accentuate the width of the tires - I like the look - sexy to me. But to each his own! One other thing that's important to me - so easy to clean with nice wide spokes. I don't like dirty, brake dusted wheels. j

Not many potholes here in SOCAL. Yeah, if I lived in a bad pothole state (I used to live in the Northeast), then I would look for a different wheel. Lip is nice - haven't had any dings/dents for the 2 + years I've had them on. Forged wheels are stronger than cast - but they will bend if pushed to the limits - that I do know from first hand experience - not a pretty site. j

• 4 weeks later...
I like the Prodrive better, count me out on the look of the polished lip. The SSR may be a little stronger. Here is what the Rota SDR (cheaper version of the Prodrive) looks like on a last gen Leg with I think no other changes. Looked real nice in person IMO. [img]http://www.subydude.com/gallery/ul/index.php/600/600/gallery/406_3.jpg[/img]

Oh, wow... thanks. It didn't quite register what a difference from the stock GT rims these would be. Are those 17s in the picture? If so, I might go with 18s to fill out the well. Any fit issues with 215/45/18s do you think? Or maybe 225s?

Hmmm... RE950 215/45WR17 $157 RE750 215/45WR17 $136 RE950 225/40WR18 $180 :o RE750 225/40WR18 $145 Here's the deal. I've been putting about 6000 miles per year on my Miata. I expect to do more since I can take the whole family places (church, dinner, short trips) in the Legacy but still probably not more than 10K per year. The RE950s come with a 40K mile warranty (45K on the 18s) and a 400 treadwear rating. In the 10 years I have owned my Miata I have replaced the tires once after the stock tires wore out. Even if the 950s only last 5 years, that's $144 per year for tires for the 18s vs $125 per year for the 17s. Am I looking at that from the right perspective? I think either the 750s or the 950 are going to be MUCH better tires than the Firehawks I have on the Miata. They are rated 300 AB and the REs are rated higher.

[quote name='brady_bunch']Oh, wow... thanks. It didn't quite register what a difference from the stock GT rims these would be. Are those 17s in the picture? If so, I might go with 18s to fill out the well. Any fit issues with 215/45/18s do you think? Or maybe 225s?[/quote] If you go plus one from a 215-45-17, you're looking at a 225-35-18, which won't fill out the well unless the car is lowered. Everything is still the same size, circumference-wise, don't forget. 215-45-18 would throw off your speedometer. That's an inch larger than stock, so I dunno... What's wrong with 215-45-17, the stock size? Kevin

If you're buying tires based on the warranty, you're buying them for all the wrong reasons. And Kevin is right. BTW, Kevin, that's the size they run on the Spec B. When you did that comparo though, you weren't comparing the sizes you talked about. Maybe you saw the utter lack of availability of that size and the majority of prices. :O

What's wrong with 215-45-17, the stock size?

The rims I am considering (the Prodrive above) don't come in 17" size... only 18".

If you're buying tires based on the warranty, you're buying them for all the wrong reasons.

Nah... that was just a bonus feature. :)

When you did that comparo though, you weren't comparing the sizes you talked about. Maybe you saw the utter lack of availability of that size and the majority of prices. :O

??? Was that directed at me or Kevin?

I wasn't comparing the sizes Kevin talked about. Tirerack gave me an alternate 18" size for the 2005 of 225/40/18 so I searched for the Bridgestone tires in that size and came up with this:

LINK

There are some ZR tires that I'm not looking for that are much more expensive but the RE750 and RE950 looked reasonable for what what you get.

After all that... what do you guys think of the Prodrive P7 instead of the PFF 7? I could go with the stock tire size, lower it a bit (just a little) to fill out the wheel well a bit more. Hmmm.... :D

prodrive_p7_gold.jpg.b480c6ad06e33fc169764c935935a012.jpg

You could just get an extra set of 17x7" stock wheels with another set of more sporty summer tires (and race in stock class for AutoX ;)) as the price for those tires isn't too bad and the ride should be rather decent. The stock wheels I think are supposed to be right around 17-18lbs max. Light overall and likely fairly strong. If you go 18x7, it basically has to be 215/45R-18, 18x7.5" can accomodate 225/40R-18 much better. The Spec B wheels are the previous size. You only buy Bridgestones? I notice that's all you mention. If you get a good deal, great, if not, there are a good bit of others out there that perform as good or better than most Bridgestones.

The stock wheels look nice but I'm looking for a bit more "pop". I like the looks of the Gialla Corso with the gold rims and since I'm going with a black Legacy, I thought that might be something to emulate. I don't know of any place to get the Vulcano rims from the Gialla site here in the U.S. so I was looking at other options and the Prodrives were mentioned a bit around the site so I looked into those. I was considering Bridgestones RE950s in the stock size because of all the positive comments from you guys here... I don't have any absolute preferences (yet). :) They definitely have great ratings on the TireRack site. I've been disappointed by the Firehawks I currently have on my Miata. They have soft sidewalls and there a little bit of roll to them when you go into a corner before they grab that can be a bit disconcerting if you aren't used to it. Any other recommendations on gold 5 or 7 spoke rims in the stock size (or +1) and/or summer performance tires would be appreciated. I don't need winter tires as it has only snowed in San Antonio twice in the past century. :) Oh... and thanks to whoever fixed that link on my previous post!

Your welcome for the link fix. When there is long linx like that, I try to use a [ url= type link here ] name it [close link] type of format (without all the spaces and correct format of course. If you reply to a post by hitting the Post Reply button, it can do that for you. So back to tires and wheels. As for tires, I've generally stuck with Tire Rack as they have good prices, great service, and a good database to help you make somewhat educated selections. If you're going for a performance summer tire, from what I've seen and heard you might want to look at the following (from TR, there are others, I just know less about them.) -Potenza 050's (I know a couple of people that really like them including Paul and Anton as well as HA-Evolution on his S2000) -BFG G-Force KDW & KDW 2 (near always gets good marks from reviews) -Potenza S-03's (great performing, just generally wear a bit faster) -PZero Nero M&S -Potenza RE750 -Kumho ECSTA MX Another place I look, I haven't dealt with them at all, is at [url=http://www.1010tires.com/]1010Tires.com[/url]. Their selection includes a few others that may interest you that I have heard are also decent if you are mainly looking at a street performance tire. Those may include: -(Bridgestone) Fuzion ZRi (TireRack also carries this brand, but is limited on sizes thus far, looks like a good tread pattern and review looks good, especially for the price!) -Falken Azenis ST-115 -Toyo Proxies T1-S -Toyo Proxies 4 (Technically an A/S tire, but looks to be an aggressive tread and marks look good, also has a higher load rating which means it may handle well) Wheels, that's all in preference and dependant on your price range. For me, I like the Rota Tarmac II's in Bronze in either 17 or 18", but keep getting steered away from them due to some issues I know of concerning previous quality and customer service standards. Great color, great price, right size and look, but if they can't stand by their product, not selling to me. Really sucks because they have what I can't find elsewhere. *pouts* I like what Prodrive has to offer for the most part, but I wish they had a little more offerings in size and color. The PFF-7 is a great price for what you get, but too bad it's only available in 18", no 17" optional. The P1 is a nice wheel, I think it looks better on a REX though. The other options are all forged wheels which equals $$$. I really wich Prodrive offered a nice Bronze and a Prodrive Flow Forming technology based version of the GC-010E to make the price a bit more competitive, and make it in 17". Bronze, that wheel in 17x7.5 for $350 per, I'd be rather happy. :) Spec B wheels, too bad they're 18x7, an extra half inch would make a lot of other tire selections fit much more economically. Otherwise it would be about a grand less install every time you'd have to replace them. Thus I'm stand-offish on them right now. Rays/Volk makes some great wheels as does Work with their Emotion line, SSR, BBS, and others. Guess I like to stick with the main players. I'm not much for some of the lesser known brands. Wheels are so much to the taste of the owner. Hard to help you pick those, those are just my suggestions though.

Archived