LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket Wheels/Tires

axis008

I like to plan ahead for fun, so I just want to know, what is the offset for the Legacy GT? What about the lug pattern? Also, if I were to get, say, 18" wheels, with a width of 7.5" to 8", what type of tire rating would I have to get so that the rim is slightly flushed with the tire. 235? 245? I don't really know. :( If you guys could help me out on this, that would be great!
-ben

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Check out the [url=http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?t=465]Tech Info Article[/url]. I suggest a WR, YR, or ZR speed rated tire in the 215/45R-18 (on 18x7" wheels) or 225/40R-18" tires (on 18x7.5" wheels). Wheel offset should be within the +48 to +55 wheel offset with a 5x100 bolt pattern. Be absolutely sure to be positive on the size the tires you desire, what wheel they fit best on. Tire Rack helps you see what wheel they fit best on. Drop me a PM if you want more details. I hope to move that info into the tech sections soon. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with Zevil on this one. I think additionally, the polished rim further promotes that boy-racer image. The single-colored styles say that to a definite lesser extent. Personally, I like Prodrive a bit more, they look a bit more grown up IMO. The forged versions cost is in the same ballpark for the most part but aren't as showy in my book. But it comes down to personal taste. Subtlety plays a big part for me.

How about the CE28NF? [img]http://www.upgrademotoring.com/wheels/ce28nF.jpg[/img] Looks like the wheels on the Impreza above the the Limited Edition CE28N. [url]http://www.mackinindustries.com/rays_ce28.html[/url] Prodrives are usually too heavy for the price. Volks are in a much higher league IMO.

Erm, Prodrive wheels are made by Rays (except for some OZ ones). And the Rays wheels are often not as light as some other very good ones. SSR springs to mind immediately. In the end though, I bet in general it is the look and the wallet that decides on the purchase - there are few who would take weight as #1 on their list of things they look for when buying a set of rims.

Lightweight and street driving might not be the brightest idea, I know of a number of instances of SSR's and Superleggera's being trashed because of that very low weight= less material. Just my .02 though.

Following someone at 50mph down a road and keeping the heads up on a swivel approaching a number of intersections and stopping, the car ahead of me was just far enough over, didn't give me much time to react, so I took one that I know for sure would have dismantled some ultra lightweights.

I've been debating whether or not to move my 17" Superleggeras over to the new Legacy or not. Depends if what other rims tickly my fancy by then.... the SLs are a pain to keep clean esp with high perf pads on. [quote name='SUBE555']Lightweight and street driving might not be the brightest idea, I know of a number of instances of SSR's and Superleggera's being trashed because of that very low weight= less material. Just my .02 though.[/quote]

I have some Weds Sports lightweights, 17x7.5. About 2 kg, maybe a bit more, lighter than the OEM wheels which are 17x7. I bought them because they were light, and highly recommended for their toughness :D

I've had them for 4 years, run them all over Japan, hit some incredible stuff (including a brick sized piece of concrete on an expressway@1?0km/h :o ), but no humongous pot holes. In Japan they have this habit of cutting the road surface back, then leaving the manholes etc sitting about 3, sometimes 4 inches proud. I have hit a couple at 40mph+ when they weren't properly "faired" in. Shocking, but so far, no damage. Oh, and I have tracked the car over a dozen times, and I do not aim to miss the candy strips all the time :wink:

Also, the SSRs are known to be quite strong here, I wonder how hard someone had to whack those to bend them? With enough bad luck you can bend anything of course.

SuperLs, no offence to those who have them, but, erm, well, nuff said :wink: They are known to be light due to being relieved of material.

Cheers :)

p182-003.jpg.399c663378c6129269e2ecbed03b5c3c.jpg

Here's another nice looking one. Work Emotion CR (available in 17x7 and 17x8, only question is about that +47 which is generally known below current +48 limits): [img]http://www.gruppe-s.com/Work/emotioncr.jpg[/img]

• 2 weeks later...
Do we yet know if the Legacy GT with its big brakes have the same fitment issues as the STi? Do Prodrive P1's fit? Where is a source for the Japanese Spec B wheels (the 10 (I think) spoke design) -Allen

The Legacy GT wheels should be in the 17-17.5lbs/wheel weight. The problem with the Brembos and their requirement for larger wheels deals mostly with the calipers IIRC, the Brembo calipers are fairly decent sized units. The new Legacy GT should not have any problems fitting anything 17" or larger in 7 to about 8" width with the proper offset.

[quote name='SUBE555']I hate the polished lip. Make it one color.[/quote] I am with SUBE on this one. Unfortunate thing is that polished lips seem to be the more popular choice... But I find it so unattractive! :(
-ben

Archived