LegacyGT.com

Suggestions? For Sways And Links!!!

hmoob_gt

Ok, i need help. i cant decide on what kind of sway bars and endlinks i should go with. i been hearing soo many problems with others on how they dont line up and all. is there an brand or combination i can go with for the front/rear sway bars and front/rear endlinks that dont have much problems? let me know.

You can use the stock end links with aftermarket bars. I am, and have tracked them as well w/o issue. As for the sways themselves, I have the Cobb rear and Perrin front, no issues. Other local members have the Cuscos and Cobb's front/rear with no fitment issues.
ignore him, he'll go away.

I was concerned about going too far so I put in the JDM rear sway only, using the stock links. Nice improvement, no issues.

Other members here seem to like the Cuscos, but these are a lot stiffer, so stronger links might be needed. But WTF do I know. :spin:

Sways affect stiffness of one side relative to the other. If you go over a full lane speed bump, the sway doesn't do anything, it just goes for the ride. The sways help flatten the car during turning. Too stiff a sway bar is not a great idea IMO, that can cause a reduction in control if one side hits a bump or hole.

Relative to front and back, sways can affect turn in, understeer v. oversteer. Sort of a trial and error thing to get something you like. Your springs come into the equation as well, since stiffer springs will flatten cornering also, sharing this duty with the sways.

There are some adjustable sways out there that you can tune. I thought the JDM rear sway made sense, the OEM rear is a joke, and I was afraid to overdo it by replacing both with stiffer ones. I was afraid of too much oversteer. Maybe I am a wimp...

I AM tempted by the Cuscos tho....

hmmmm. thinking and thinking... sounds like i might need some springs of some sort.

I drove my car bone stock for 2 years. My first mod was the JDM rsb, which was a very nice improvement. But the stock struts and springs are really lacking. So then I picked up some JDM Spec B Rev A Bilsteins (with the stiffer JDM springs on them) from unclemat. Very economical. It is a different car now!

A popular upgrade are the Bilstein HD struts with Pink springs. There are also some very reasonable coilovers out there, around $1000 or so.

Be warned! It is VERY easy to get carried away with this stuff! :lol:

ok, i asked one of my mechanic, he said if i get aftermarket sways, i better off getting aftermarket links. because he had some people come in with bent links because they didnt have aftermarket links but had the sways. i notice a lot of you guys are running aftermarket sways and stock links. can it be caused by riding it hard?

More stiffness means more force. If you get really stiff sways the endlinks will feel more force. Enough to make them fail? Sometimes maybe yes. But I have read that the stock LGT links are better than the WRX ones.

Stiffer springs will help tho...

I just broke my front end links using cobb front and rear. Ass end of the car is picking up like crazy. Now ill be looking for some good endlinks.

Sway bars dont rally affect the smoothness of the ride the do change the handling characteristics. Buy the thickest you can get, to eliminate that body roll. I race mine, so I wish my rear was a bit bigger.

I believe my rear is 19mm. I put it on before I did the front and it made a considerable difference. As far as what fits what year I have no idea. BTW it gave my car a nice balance of just enough oversteer, so I get a good all wheel broad slide on the sweepers.

These questions usually depend on what type of driving you intend to do. Daily drivers are fine with a JDM version RSB, good cheap upgrade. If you are tracking your car, go with something beefier, spend more but you'll notice better results.

Use the classifieds section, used parts ftw. I got my DD JDM rsb for $125, saving myself about $50 from new.

• 1 month later...
so I wish my rear was a bit bigger.

:lol:

On a serious note, I've got the JDM RSB Cusco FSB Bilstein struts with pinks and I just added the JDM Genome front strut bar. I've had no issues with my endlinks, however I am curious to see if anyone has changed these for performance reasons. A friend in a WRX said these made a big difference for him, and I'm curious to see if the same has been found for our cars.

Generally, a bar is a bar in terms of quality, so the important things to look at are whether it is adjustable or not and the size. I really like having at least the rear bar be adjustable.

The Cobb set is great and has the extra feature of being hollow, so they're a little lighter. Otherwise, we stick with Whiteline since they're a little cheaper.

As for endlinks, we don't see Legacy endlinks break as much as say, STi rear links, but it's still a nice thing to have to save possible headaches down the road.

- Andrew

I'll throw in my 2 cents for the AVO 20mm RSB set "loose" along with AVO's RSB bracket reinforcement. Stock end links, FSB, springs and dampers but 225/45-17 BFG KDW2s added. The handling is transformed compared to stock. The car is very tossible with gentle touches of lift, brake or throttle rotating the car very smoothly. Fun to play toss and catch. Turn in is really good. Gone is the heavy understeer going in and heavy oversteer going out. I haven't found any oversteer problem on lift or brake and less dramatic throttle steer. There's no noise from the bar and no signs of stress on the endlinks. At some point I'll replace the relatively wimpy dampers and maybe lower the car, but for now it's a fun car to drive as is even though it may not be the fastest LGT around. For me, it's not about the absolute level of roll stiffness but rather about the roll balance front and rear. The RSB and FSB have to be proportioned well for the handling to feel balanced. A balanced car is more fun to drive for me. The stock RSB is totally inappropriate for the stock FSB.

Archived