LegacyGT.com

Fuel efficiency Tuning

Hello all,

I've been trying to research different ways to increase my fuel efficiency. I'm considering buying an accessport2 from cobbstuning:

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=2436

I understand that you can do on the fly map switching from performance to fuel efficiency maps. Does anyone know first-hand what kind of mileage I would realistically get with the fuel efficiency ECU map of the accessport2? I currently get ~18mpg city and ~23mpg freeway.

Thanks,

Dean

Most people report a 2-3mpg highway increase with the AP. But remember, your highest performance map will also be your most fuel efficient map, as long as you stay off the throttle. So if you get the AP (a more efficient tune), and you accelerate the same way, you'll get higher mileage, even with a "performance" map.

fyi, most people who get the accessport loose fuel economy.

why? too much fun ;]

i get the same amount of fuel consumption 21city/28hwy with the AP as i did when i didnt, but i can accelerates MUCH faster now

Hey All,

Thanks for all the thought provoking responses. I think you've really convinced me to look at a "Stage 1" tune with accessport2 as more of a performance rather than fuel savings change when considering its purchase. One last question would be... I've heard when your car is tuned for gas savings or your running an "economy" mapping that your engine runs hotter so you shouldn't push it very hard. Is that true? I would think that a gas-savings type tuning would mainly be limiting the amount of fuel injected into the engine. How can a higher oxygen to fuel ratio make the engine run hotter?

Thanks,

Dean

Your dealer actually has an option. Just take your car there and trade it for 2.5i or better yet, a Honda or something.

But seriously, stay off the gas and you're usually fine. You can tune to lean out your ST and LT fuel trims, but that can be dangerous.

Also an intake will lean your mixture out, though again, can be dangerous if you start pushing it (EGT's go way up).

Hey All,

Thanks for all the thought provoking responses. I think you've really convinced me to look at a "Stage 1" tune with accessport2 as more of a performance rather than fuel savings change when considering its purchase. One last question would be... I've heard when your car is tuned for gas savings or your running an "economy" mapping that your engine runs hotter so you shouldn't push it very hard. Is that true? I would think that a gas-savings type tuning would mainly be limiting the amount of fuel injected into the engine. How can a higher oxygen to fuel ratio make the engine run hotter?

Thanks,

Dean

What the Cobb economy map does is limit boost pressure to wastegate levels (7-8psi w/ stock actuator) and increases timing when the motor is in cruise/light acceleration. As soon as there's any load on the engine timing is backed down to where it would normally be.

Seriously though, if you're going to buy a GT and always run the economy map you might as well get the non-turbo. The car is very much NOT fun to drive at 7psi.

Unless your daily commute is 90% highway with light enough traffic that you can maintain constant highway speeds you're not gonna get the return out of it.

Couldn't think of a better way to say it...

But remember, your highest performance map will also be your most fuel efficient map, as long as you stay off the throttle. So if you get the AP (a more efficient tune), and you accelerate the same way, you'll get higher mileage, even with a "performance" map.

Archived