LegacyGT.com

Subaru black dashboard is a joke!

1) Microfiber ... always

2) Despite that, I have washed my dash with a common washcloth and mild soap and water ... no damage.

3) You might want to try a different dressing than Armorall. There are other dressings that will look very good without being so greasy and attracting all the dust that Armorall does.

3) You might want to try a different dressing than Armorall. There are other dressings that will look very good without being so greasy and attracting all the dust that Armorall does.

Please name it so i can find it in store easiely.

The two that I would recommend are Poorboy's World Natural Look and 303 Aerospace Protectant.

I haven't used 303, but from what I've read, it's extremely similar to Poorboy's.

I really like the Poorboy's Natural Look ... First of all, it has UV protection built in. It also cleans at the same time ... for example, I first washed the dash with a washcloth and mild soap and water. Got everything cleaned up nicely where it looked like it just needed a little dressing. Then I started working in the Natural Look product in with a microfiber cloth. The cloth was turning brown from all the dirt and grime it was still picking up and pulling off the black surface. So it has cleaners in it as well as additional protectant ... I have to like that.

Then, my favorite part about PB Natural Look is that it does a great job of leaving a clean matte finish - not greasy or oily. It looks dry, clean, and "Natural" (hence the name).

And finally, I love the scent! ;) It's nothing overpowering ... just a nice mellow clean scent.

After wondering if 303 was a cleaner as well, I have read more reviews that indicate it is most likely a Protectant only. So my personal recommendation is the Poorboy's Natural Look for the cleaners also.

No problems with the dash here...

I use 303 Aerospace Protectant. It's not a cleaner though....

Although, I don't get my dash dirty. I do use a Swiffer to grab any dust that has settled. This extends the amount of time I have to reapply interior dressing.

Is it just me or is the subaru dashboard a piece of crap. Ive scratched it twice just trying to clean it with a cotton towel. I was even using armorall detailer.

welcome to the forum. i can tell you what NOT to use EVER on paint, chrome, vinyl or glass and that is a shop towel (the kind used to wipe down parts) even if they have been cleaned they can still have very small metal shaving etc. in them. in know this from experience. :mad: bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

I wipe my dash weekly with armorall(I like the wet look). No scratches or caracks anywhere to be found. With the armorall you need to use a dishsoap and water a couple times a year to take the buildup off or it will start to turn white. Other than that I would also make sure you either use a microfiber cloth or some lintless rag that has never been in the garage.
Let's kick this pig!

^^^

Then look into the Poorboy's ... You can buff to a matte finish, or you can leave it with a more glossy look. But again, it isn't as oily and doesn't attract dust like crazy like Armorall does. Add to that and it cleans instead of needing to clean it ... and you have a winning product.

Would you rather have a product that attracts dust and needs to be cleaned off periodically, or would you rather have a product that cleans, doesn't attract dust, and protects your dash from UV?

i use meguiars mist& wipe interior detailer spray, leaves a matte finish and barely any dust ever stays on my dash. i also spray that on the door panels, steering wheel and my seats and it seems to work well, been using it for a whole year. time to get a new bottle :)

I think that most people like the Flat/Matte finish much better once they've really gotten into detailing and realize that the wet/greasy/oily finish only hides the fact that the dash/surface is actually dirty/stained/etc. It's also nice to know how much cleaner the dash really is.

I'll have to check out the Poorboys. Over the last 20+ years I've used Meguire's (still have a bottle), Wet N Black interior(still have a bottle), Mother's/interior quick detail(still have a bottle or two), all the different Armorall Products and probably just about everything else at least once. Call me oldschool but I personnaly just don't like the matte(dry) look, never have since dust really isn't a problem for me. Ug Ug, Me like shiny stuff.:p

Threadjack warning.:redface:

So what does everyone use for tires?

I love the look and smell of the Wet N Black for tires.

Let's kick this pig!

Armor All!? Please no. I don't even spray that on tires, wheel wells or downwind of my car.

For interior, there are so many options more healthy for your vinyl and rubber.

I use PoorBoy's World Natural Look. Used to use 303 Aerospace. Both provide UV protectant.

Armor All will destroy rubber and vinyl.

Before you apply any protectant make sure the material is clean. Over the counter products are an option or a mix of your own. Some use a light solution of Woolite with great results.

i use meguiars mist& wipe interior detailer spray, leaves a matte finish and barely any dust ever stays on my dash. i also spray that on the door panels, steering wheel and my seats and it seems to work well, been using it for a whole year. time to get a new bottle :)

:whore:

Armor All will destroy rubber and vinyl.

Since I have moved on to other protectants for my interior vinyl, for years I have been generously applying my left over Armor All to my wiper blades when I store them (summer and winter blades for all three cars) and it has done a wonderful job keeping the blade (and boots on the winter blades) soft and supple...with no degradation.

It is still ugly.

• 1 year later...

I just went on a trip to grandpas house for Thanksgiving and my sister had her feet on the dash with furry socks on and holy ****, it is so scratched up now!!! :mad:

It always seemed like the dash was prone to scratching but this is just ridiculous. I use Mothers product on the dash at least once a month, most of my friends take much worse care of their cars and dont get this. Im bummed.

^ n00bs below this line

Totally agree! When I bought my car with 6500 miles on it, the drivers door panel was incredibly scuffed. Yesterday I noticed some scratches on my dash where a piece of 1x6 poplar had been resting on a trip from Home Depot.

Wow you guy's are amazing. I have 99,000 miles about 4 times a year I wipe the dash with a damp towel that I used to dry the water off the car after washing it. Dash looks great.

You need to remember its just a Subaru...Hey I've even wax it once a year. I use Nu Vinish. The dirt just falls off when it rains.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived