LegacyGT.com

FWIW: Shifter STI to Cobb

I did a replacement of the shifter from the STI STS to Cobb STS - last weekend. I took pics along the way (I tried to keep the angle for all of the pics but, they are off a phone camera). The knob is the OEM and the pics are of the shifters in 1st and 2nd. If anyone is interested in seeing the difference in shift positions here it is. I adjusted the Cobb STS to the longest length on the bottom and the shortest on the top.

Here ya be,

Brian

IMAGE_00078.jpg.ffa1f762bd1a3330aa2fc10503d04521.jpg

IMAGE_00077.jpg.d72e0776f7ce3cba58bf53fb3bc9d18a.jpg

IMAGE_00084.jpg.0e267f4706620424c4af40cb302ae36e.jpg

IMAGE_00086.jpg.ebf676bdaaf3fcffd9f35eedc83580b0.jpg

I did a replacement of the shifter from the STI STS to Cobb STS - last weekend. I took pics along the way (I tried to keep the angle for all of the pics but, they are off a phone camera). The knob is the OEM and the pics are of the shifters in 1st and 2nd. If anyone is interested in seeing the difference in shift positions here it is. I adjusted the Cobb STS to the longest length on the bottom and the shortest on the top.

Here ya be,

Brian

How is the "feel" of the cobb unit as compared to the STI? How is it going into 3rd from 2nd? Any less notchy than the STI? thanks

Did you retain the factory STi STS part, and just add the Cobb lever? Or, does the Cobb unit also integrate into the transmission, like the STi STS kit? Curious, because I want to get a shorter throw shifter...and I used to have the STi kit (installed from the factory) which I loved, and miss.

I think the Cobb STS is the best mod I've had done to the car. It takes about 200 miles to get use to the shortness of the throws vs. stock. I also have the Cobb tranny mount as well as the Cobb front and Kartboy rear bushings, which make it perfect (for me). IMO, you really need the bushings to get rid of the mushy feeling.
I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Law,

I only changed the shifter stalk itself. I am planning on changing the bushings as well. To answer your question from that perspective, the shifts are more "notchy" than with the STI stalk (I can definately feel when it's in the gate). It also seems to take slightly more effort to move the shifter (this makes sense since I'm decreasing my leverage). To balance out this effort, I don't need to move the shifter as far! :D

ITD,

I only changed out the STI stalk for the Cobb stalk. I don't know if Cobb has any other shifter parts for the Legacy? Other than bushings.

-Brian

So your car already has a STi STS (which is the whole assembly, which attaches to the tranny) correct? not just the stalk.

In my old LGT, I had the STi STS kit, which included everything that mated to the tranny, as well as the stalk, and the momo knob. That's why I am asking.

Archived