LegacyGT.com

Stiff when shifting, possibly tranny issues?

andrew.anderson

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is why I scheduled an appointment at the dealer for 1400 on Monday.

That's 2pm to all of us Americanos. :lol:

Definately let us know what they have to say! Are you driving or towing it there?

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

Sure..... I'm just curious as to your feeling of the car. Do you think it can handle it? BTW.... if it is the fork, and it breaks and can somehow get to your disk and fly, it could end up breaking your casing. So if you feel anything pop, or fail suddenly, shut her down! A new tranny is a lot more than a new clutch and fly.

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

We are going to drive it. I really thinks that it is soemthign external.

Especially after talkign to so many people who thought the same thing.

Once it is in gear it runs fine. We reconed the route and have worked it so we will minimize the amount of gear changing we have to do. Plus, I will skip 2nd and 4th the entire time.

Picked up the car.

The shifting issue was because the bolt that connects the shift armto the STS had worked its way lose and the arm was hitting on a support beam on its way down to the tranny. All they did was slide the bolt the rest of hte way in and tighten the nut.

The drivers front suspension needs adjusted correctlly. I did not understand exactlly what they meant but htey said it is not matched/even with the passengers front. They said that needs set correctlly and then the car will need an alignment.

They do not charge for a diagnosis so all this info and the qucik fix ont he shifter was free. http://www.iwsti.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

I might contact PDX Tuning and ge tthe correct settigns for the coilover and do the work myself. I feel a little guilty that the dealer is not getting a penny out of this...

I'm having an odd but similar issue with my car, but the dealer couldn't reproduce and couldn't find any issue with it. I even brought one of the service guys out, but of course I couldn't get it to happen.

2006 GT w/ factory short throw - 40k

Having issues shifting into 4th, especially when going up hill. Not so much issue if it's flat or gradual. The issue is that it catches, like it's not hitting the gear spot on, it doesn't -usually- grind, just catches. I get it regardless of how quickly I'm accelerating.

I expected the transmission fluid at first, but after my 30k they replaced it and I still had the issue. I saw some bushings for the short throw @ COBB along with some stiffer transmission mounts. Might a shifting (no pun intended) transmission be causing the issue? Is that possible? Could those parts solve my issue?

Accelerating quickly pitches the car back, and iwhen it's in that position that I experience the issue. If I let off and give the car a few secconds to equalize on the springs - it won't usually do it, of course it's always getting on the highway that it happens and sometimes around town.

You can get a flexible hose-funnel, no need to remove ic.

I'd drain whatever oil is there (you will need that funky torx, don't remember which) and see how the drain plug looks like. If there is lots of metal the tranny is probably shot as I said.

it's a T-70 Torx.

I run Redline 75w90 fluid in my tranny and rear diff. There's plenty of threads about the grade of oil to use.

Even if the clutch feels ok, it could be that you may have boiled the clutch fluid as well? If the clutch isnt fully disengaged, it could be taking a toll on the synchos. How does it feel if the car is at a stand-still and not moving while you row through the gears? Is there still some resistance?

i would beg to differ on the "problems araising at 30k" because through the abuse I put my car through, Im still on the stock clutch and still tracking the GT and rowing through the gears.. and I'm at 60k+. Im sure that the way I drive, I dont have to worry about changing the clutch out until 120k. Heck even my brother's 2002 WRX is at 130k using a stage 2+ setup is still on the original tranny and clutch.

Hopefully it's not that bad and possibly having some shockproof oil addative (redline sells it) may be something to consider in the near future when you mix your tranny/diff oils.

PS: sorry I was late on this issue. But at least you know if it's not the STS next time if this comes up, you can look for other things.

Keefe

Archived