LegacyGT.com

Stiff when shifting, possibly tranny issues?

andrew.anderson

if its making noise at idle, its not bushing (not that i thought it would have been anyway).

are we talking grinding noises like gears not going together, or like a burring/rubbing noise like maybe the clutch isn't disengaging 100% (this was my problem), or can you be a lil more specific? i would think a syncro, but you said previously that the problem was in all gears, so i'd have a tough time imagining all the synchros (although you said you didn't have fluid) and you'd still be able to get the car in gear and drive around if you didn't have syncros, it would just take some thinking while driving.

its a T60 to take the tranny drain plug out fwiw.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok, just import your car back overseas so i can hear this problem, then we can help out :lol:

so if the car is just sitting there in idle, there is no noise, if you push the clutch in, there is no noise, if you move the shift lever it makes noise (is it direction specific, like if you move it up into 3rd from neutral, or left or right towards 1st or reverse does it make the same noises or noises in all those directions?)

either way you'll probably have to take it somewhere, or have it flatbedded there if you don't feel comfortable driving it. aren't there any mechanics on base that you could bargin with a 6pack to come listen to the problem for a second? i have to imagine someone rebuilding stuff on a humvee or deuce and a half might be able to identify the sounds

so if the car is just sitting there in idle, there is no noise, if you push the clutch in, there is no noise, if you move the shift lever it makes noise (is it direction specific, like if you move it up into 3rd from neutral, or left or right towards 1st or reverse does it make the same noises or noises in all those directions?)

Yes you described it perfectlly. Noise in every direction. No noise or problem when releasing clutch.

I called our dealership in the US. They tried to be helpful but really weren't. :icon_lol: When you just list all the stuff it possibly could be that doesn't help me narrow it down.

They said one fo the gears could have become misaligned or the shift fork might not be fully disengaging. I have no idea eacaxtlly what either of those mean though. :icon_lol:

So, if I have to have my transmission torn apart would that be a good time to put in a stronger clutch plate? Is that even a useful part when you are only at 375 HP?

375hp...where did that number come from? :eek: and what mods?

yeah if your tranny comes out, def put in a new clutch and possibly a new flywheel too.

not sure how just one shifter fork would be causing all the problems (i'm not a pro in tranny's thats for sure, but i was under the impression there was one for 1-2, 3-4, 5, and R).

heres my new #1 suggestion:

Call andrew @ andrewtech because i'm sure he could probably help diagnose your problem :lol:

Performance Modifications

SPT Cold Air Intake

Perrin Uppipe

Perrin Downpipe

Perrin Midpipe

Perrin Y-Pipe

Perrin Top Mount InterCooler

ECUTek ECU Reflash

GP Moto Custom Built Oil Cooler

Stop Tech Front BigBrakeKit

Stop Tech Stainless Steel Brake Line Kit

Perrin Front Sway Bar

Perrin Rear Sway Bar

Perrin Endlinks

GP Moto Coilovers

Defi Link-Meter BF Amber Exhaust Gas Temp Gauge

Defi Link-Meter BF Amber Boost Gauge

I think that is all the performance stuff.

Performance Modifications

SPT Cold Air Intake

Perrin Uppipe

Perrin Downpipe

Perrin Midpipe

Perrin Y-Pipe

ECUTek ECU Reflash

Perrin Front Sway Bar

Perrin Rear Sway Bar

Perrin Endlinks

GP Moto Coilovers

I think that is all the performance stuff.

375 hp? :rolleyes:

I called the two Subaru Dealerships that are closes to Kaiserslautern. The one toward Mannhiem in Grunstadt has no one that speaks English and my German is nto good enough to explain a technical issue to them. The one on the way to Saarbrücken in Hütschenhausen has at least two peopel that Sprechen sie Anglish so I should be good.

Wish me luck.

PDX Tuning did the work on the car and after thier initial work which include:

Perrin Uppipe

Perrin Downpipe

ECUTek ECU Reflash

Perrin Front Sway Bar

Perrin Rear Sway Bar

Perrin Endlinks

GP Moto Coilovers

They estimated it at 350 FWHP. I don't really care what the number are myself. I am simply quoting what a professional told me.

Sounds to me like your shift fork. If when it's in gear it's running fine, and when it's in neutral it's fine, and it's not the clutch, then I'd go with the fork, or the linkage. Doesn't sound like it's in your tranny, more like getting to your tranny. ~my 2 cents. Is the pedal feel any different, or can you feel the grinding through the pedal?

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

On our way down the Autobahn yesterday my wife noticed that it had gotten difficult to shift gears.

Was there a single even that led to this issue, like a really hard shift or a drop of the clutch that could have bent an already weakened fork?

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

Archived