LegacyGT.com

Stiff when shifting, possibly tranny issues?

andrew.anderson

We own a 2005 Legacy GT Limited w/ 5MT.

On our way down the Autobahn yesterday my wife noticed that it had gotten difficult to shift gears. The clutch pedal responds normally, it was just like the transmission does not want to go into gear. It does this regardless of the gear and it is the same when the car is parked. There is a scraping noise when you move the shift lever around also. Like metal on metal. We checked the transmission fluid and there is none showing on the dipstick.

It appears I have already self diagnosed the problem but I would like someone with more experience to back up my diagnosis

1) Do those symptom match with what would happen if your transmission fluid is low?

2) Any theories on how the tranny fluid gets that low after only 9500 miles?

3) What is the stock transmission fluid? I believe it is 75/90 . Is is Synthetic, synthetic mix, which brand? I ask because I don't even want to drive the car to the shop without putting some in.

If anyone has any questions just Post or PM me and I will post the info here. I hope other can learn from my problems. :lol:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without proper lubrication, the damage may have been done already. Plus with your MT, the front differential shares the same fluid as the 5 speed.

The only reason why the transmission may be empty with fluid is one of two reasons (if it was never tampered with).... 1. You have a leak. 2. It was low from day one.

When I did my 30K service, I replaced the 5MT fluid with Pennzoil 75/90. I ASSUME the only reason why Subaru says "Don't Mix" is because they're afraid the client will use a Non GL-5 fluid.

o no. heres just one example of a thread to read about it: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61199&highlight=6mt+swap

replacing a 5mt you'd need:

clutch

transmission

swapping in a 6mt you'd need

clutch

flywheel (?)

transmission (more expensive one)

R180 rear diff with correct half shafts hubs and wheels OR

R180 ring and pinion inside your R160 rear diff (cheaper, not as strong overall though)

Front half shafts (iirc)

and depending on what car you get the 6mt out of the supporting wiring/sensors/harnesses etc (as I'm pretty sure the one out of the spec b is different from the STI...which has DCCD)

this is just off the top of my head, there may be more

sure is, i've done the STI swap into a WRX, it was a pain, and to be honest, not worth it in the end.

i forgot that you'll need a new driveshaft as well. i'm thinking the cost of his swap was around $6,000 for the whole set up. with an upgraded turbo its even less worth it imo, because first gear is so quick.

when i do my tranny upgrade it wont be to a 6sp. i'll get something custom built by andrewtech most likely because i'd like to have a longer 2nd and 5th gears (effectively same as 6th, since its not like i spool up in 5th anyway unless i'm cruising at 80mph :lol:), and stiffer 1st, 2nd, 3rd. will basically be replacing everything i think.

just put whatever 75w90 dino gear oil

unless you can get 75w90 Subaru extra-s oil (allegedly synthetic)

but tranny is probably shot anyway

are you assuming its low or did you check it. I ask because mine was leaking and acted different than what you are describing.

It is low. See First Post, "We checked the transmission fluid and there is none showing on the dipstick."

Would it act like this if there was somethign wrong with the shifter bushings? Regardless, the fluid is low so once I find a funnel that will allow me to get fluid under the Perrin TMIC and into that tiny ass hole I will post up how it runs after we add fluid.

find ... that tiny ass hole I will post up how it runs after we add fluid.

don't worry, many guys have trouble finding that tiny asshole :rolleyes::lol:

at any rate, my suggestion is still to take the 5 mins to remove the top mount and then add the fluid, it will just be easier in the long haul i feel

Good luck Andrew, hope there's no damage. I look forward to reading your "I can't get the Perrin TMIC back on" thread coming soon.:)
Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

You can get a flexible hose-funnel, no need to remove ic.

I'd drain whatever oil is there (you will need that funky torx, don't remember which) and see how the drain plug looks like. If there is lots of metal the tranny is probably shot as I said.

I checked the tranny fluid again when I got home. It actually registered on the end of the dipstick today. Still low though. I put in 500ML of Castrol Manual SMX-S Synthetic. I ran the car for a few minutes and then tried the shifter again. Still making the nasty noises.

I don't know what to try now. Do I need to actually drive the car to get the fluid on circulating? Or could it be the bushings? I don't see how bushings would cause it to be difficult to move the stick and cause noises when you place it in gear.

Archived