LegacyGT.com

Anyone's wheels have dark spots/discolored?

psi365

I know brake dust accumulates and all, but pretty much after I picked up my 08 spec B I noticed some dark spots on the wheels that won't wash off/clean off. I haven't curbed it, and it doesn't seem like brake dust. Its almost like a clearcoat/paint thing. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if they had any success getting their wheels replaced.

Thanks

Chris

BTW my car only has 600+ miles on it, so its not like I haven't been cleaning them regularly.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had some weird greasy looking stains on my stock wheels when I got my car. They never washed off despite 2 years of rubbing & scrubbing during every car wash until I tried Meguiars Cleaner wax on them & it took them right off.
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Doesn't seem at all like tar/ashfault. I've tried soapy water, brake parts cleaner, and even some adhesive/paint prep stuff. Nothing seems to make a difference. I'd take some pics of what I mean, but they probably wouldn't show it well.

My wheels are "leaking" from the lug bolts. I cant imagine what it is.

My '07 is doing the same thing. I haven't tried to wash it off yet but I rubbed it with my finger and I think it will come off with some hard scrubbing.

It's called Cosmoline, a protectant that they use when they assemble the car. It removes easily with a tar remover.

Why would they put that on the powertrain? I know usually its put on the insides of panels(doors, quarter panels, etc.) but I've never heard of a manufacturer using it on a moving part.

My wheels are "leaking" from the lug bolts. I cant imagine what it is.
That's exactly what my wheels looked like. Cleaner wax finally took it off, but up until that point, I was beginning to think it was a permanent stain.
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

ZIPPO LIGHTER FLUID FTMFW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Takes the "leaking" right off, no scrubbing, and it costs $0.01 per cleaning. :D

Does Zippo fluid work on carefully applied curb marks applied by my wife?;)

Gentlemen, I promise you no damage will be had....no work or abrasion shall be applied....and no adverse chemical effect shall occur. I speak these words for it is my business (chemical engineer today, customizer in my "past life", and enthusiast always and forever) :D.

I first encountered this phenomena on my mum's '07 wagon.........I was like "WTF is that shit seeping out from the lug nuts???" After a quick analysis and testing in a discrete area, I realized that the offending compound was solvent soluble.

For those with an inquisitive stance on the matter......Zippo fluid is comprised primarily of naphtha. That being a most gentle of the solvents consisting of long hydrocarbon chains, which by reason will not affect clear coat when used judisiously (just don't spray it repeatedly on the wheel in the sun........let it dry.....spray it on the wheel let it dry......etc).

I promise you...........it works without compromise.:)

Want more details on chemical compositions of the solvent and the nature of the paint/clearcoat's molecular surface...........feel free to ask ;).

I use bug and tar remover. The same kind that you buy for your paint. It worked great except the cosmoline (or equivalent) kept coming back. When I rotated my tires, I discovered why. There was a ton of the crap on the back side of the wheel. It was almost impossible to remove it all... so I didn't. I sold the rims and put aftermarket rims on. No more grease. (I replaced the rims for aesthetic reasons, not because of the grease.)

Yup, same thing on my '08. "Leaking" from the lugs. Getting new hyperblack 18's this weekend though... so stockers will only see snow. WOOT WOOT!!

If your car is QSM could you please get me some pics. I am going to be lazy and keep the stockers on until snow hits, swap to the snow tires on the stock rims and when spring hits get a new set of wheels if something catches my eyes. Its annoying to have these huge streaks on the wheels. I've been trying most of the suggestions thus far. Still crossing my fingers that something works.

It is QSM, and they just called and said they can't get the hyperblack with a polished lip for a month or so, so I ordered Enkei RSV Anthracite (pretty much hyperblack) and machined lip, and i should have them this weekend. Will post pics.

Archived