LegacyGT.com

Anyone's wheels have dark spots/discolored?

psi365

Slight update. At about 1200 miles I took it in to have them take a look at the wheels, but the service manager wasn't there and I needed to take off so no repair order was written. I then figured to go through the winter with the stained wheels since at this point they can't get much worse. Well now I have about 5800 miles on it brought it in for some warranty work(yes finally) and tried to get them to look at the wheels. To my luck the service manager wasn't there again. So yesterday I had to drop a co worker off to pick his car up and finally caught the service manager. He was setting me up for disappointment and saying it was caused by something I cleaned the wheels with, or that his detailer may be able to clean them (they tried the time I went in at 1200 miles, and the detailer at my work was unable to get them clean). He took some pics of them and sent them to their rep and the next time their rep is there I am supposed to bring it over and have them look at them. So this will be the forth time I'll be having to bring it in for them to look at the wheels. I'm feeling that SOA isn't going to do anything about this.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My newest update:

I just got off the phone with the dealership and SOA is sending out a "special" cleaner for the wheels. It is a known problem as has been said on here a few times. IF they still don't clean up I was given the impression I'll be getting a new set of wheels.

So the dealership is acknowledging that this is a common problem now?

The dealership isn't so much, but SOA is starting to admitt that this is something they've seen on spec B wheels. The dealership was saying that they saw it once or twice and that it was either cosmoline or the wheel cleaner I was using causing it. They took a few pics of my wheels and center caps and sent them to the SOA rep.

My 06 spec b wheels have those same spots all over them. I didn't even think it would be covered under warranty, I thought they'd pass it off as something I drove through or used a bad cleaner. I'm a detailer and I can't get the marks off. My car has 24k miles though, I dunno if they'd give me new wheels now. It doesn't help I bought the car used too...

My 06 spec b wheels have those same spots all over them. I didn't even think it would be covered under warranty, I thought they'd pass it off as something I drove through or used a bad cleaner. I'm a detailer and I can't get the marks off. My car has 24k miles though, I dunno if they'd give me new wheels now. It doesn't help I bought the car used too...

Well you should give it a try anyways. You might want to hurry up about it since you may be close to the end of your basic warranty too.

Its not that big of a deal cause I work down the street from tthe subie dealer I've been taking it to. It's more annoying that they always seem to forget to call me when they are done with the work though. I work in a dealer so I understand they can't flat out just order me a new set of wheels. It's just a little odd that they've sent pics of my wheels to their rep and he still has to physically come and see them to determine if they are going to replace them or not.

• 2 weeks later...
Cool man...

So the rep recognized there was a problem? what was his reaction?

OT, but: What are the Summer wheels? :)

After two detailers looked at them (one that I highly trust at my work, and theirs)and some SUbaru cleaner:iam:. He said part of it was from brake dust that had been on there to long (which this has happened since around 200 miles since I bought it) some brake rust (I drive it pretty much daily), and some of that grease stuff build up. He took some buffing compound and got some of it off, but he admitted that "maybe" when they put my center caps on that the dealer may have taken off some of the clear coat and dirt got stuck in between the clearcoat and wheel.

I'm not saying until they are on the car(and I can get pics of), but a clue is I'm going from one wheel that looks like an Audi wheel to another Audi looking wheel that I am semi customizing.

• 3 weeks later...
Got my wheels back from being refinished and they are suddenly silver. I'm about 95% sure they are like a semi polished look to them and now they are silver. I'm starting to get annoyed about this now evern though these are going to be my dedicated snow wheels.

So they got rid of the spots but the finish is different than what they were stock?

They had a guy come in and just refinish the faces of the wheels. They didn't even dismount the tires. The finish now looks like argent silver instead of the semi polished grey look that they should be.

Archived