LegacyGT.com

Painting the grill tips?

Meltdown07

I've read several grill tips here, and did some searching, but I need some definitive advice/opinions.

I recently switched out my modified grilleguy stock grill for and RBS DIY one I purchased some time ago.

Well I got it all painted- several layers of the base, mid-coat, and some clearcoat. The paint was a very good match for stock, but now after a few thousand miles they grill has started to get several rock chips.

Obviously I realize things are going to get rock chips, but I feel this has more than it should. What causes this to happen? Is it not enough clearcoat? I was under the impression that the RBS grills were ready for paint, so I did not prime it. Is that causing the problem?

Anyone with experience in this sort of thing, what do you advise that I use as my method on this grill? I want to strip it down and do it over again, but if I can do it myself with similar durability to a professional paint job at the dealer or what not I would prefer to do that, since the color match is pretty close, and I still have plenty of left over paint.

Anyway, any advice is appreciated!

Go Cardinals!

^^^

Yup.

After 2 and a half years, I realized this earlier this summer. My RBS grille, although I love the look to death, had a thin paint application and has succumbed to about 20 good rocks chips.

After painting over those chips with Dealer-purchsed touch up paint, my RBS grille looks like a teenaged girl with bad skin wearing too much cover-up.

Bumps and craters galore.

2 months ago I took my stock grille out of the shed and proceeded to paint the chrome ring and supporting parts with about 10 coats of Duplicolor basic black. I left the wings chrome, like they are on the JDM models.

It needs a ton of coats to stand up to rock chips and I think 10 ought to do the trick. So far it still looks perfect.

I don't think the RBS grilles had 10 coats applied to them. Probably 2, and then a clear coat.

This was an RBS grille in white that I bought years ago though... I can't comment on how the paint is holding up on newer batches...probably holding up very well.

I started to repaint my grill when I noticed that the chrome tape started to peel away. So, I started peeling and peeling. I"ve got most of the tape off the bottom, and can't take anymore off. My plan is to use a little bondo to smooth out the grill completely ) like the RBS and than put a s#$% load of paint on.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I actually take off my DIY grill once every 6 weeks and hit it with a few thin coats of paint. It is actually pretty easy since it is entirely matt black (no need to tape anything off). No matter how many times I paint it, the chips appear..

Okay, well if I had the dealer professionally paint my RBS grill do you think it would hold up any better? I know rock chips are inevitable, but I feel like this thing is chipping too fast.

Go Cardinals!

Archived