LegacyGT.com

Anyone go from an LGT to a 2.5i and regret it?

I'm not sure how anyone can sway you either way on your decision. The pros/cons between 2.5i and GT were clear to you before you started this thread. There are two questions that only you can answer, would you be happy with the 2.5i slowness (sorry N/Aers) and are you willing to pay extra for the turbo, better suspension, brakes, etc? Then, depending on how you answer those questions you have to decide what's more important, speed or savings. Most people get the 2.5i as a compromise, for one reason or another, be it money, gas savings, to keep them out of trouble, etc.

The reason wasn't to sway me, really...it was more about how people that have switched from a GT to a 2.5i feel, now that they made the switch.

I already know the differences in the two cars, so it's not really about that. Its more about what someone that used to own a GT and now owns a 2.5i 'feels' about the car. The good, the bad, the ugly.

I'm still trying to decide. Of course, I am leaning a bit more towards the GT, but this thread was not to sway my decision, it was more for information that may help me see past the turbo vs NA debate.

Well, you're doing the right thing. The almighty test drive. Get in that 2.5i, drive it like you drive every day, then drive it like you stole it. If you're happy with it after that, maybe you don't really need the GT.

There are days when I wish I could live with a slow car (mostly the days when bills come in the mail). But I tell you, every time I get in my car, fire up the custom exhaust, and get on the highway my fast pats me on the back for getting the GT.

EDIT:

Honestly, if I lived in FL I wouldn't have a Subaru. WTF is wrong with you???? j/k :lol:

The only reason I drive an AWD car is because I live in the northeast and FWD sucks. RWD FTW.

^^Funny. I know what you mean. My wife has a 2.5i automatic, and the power isn't bad...but it's still in break-in. Plus, she doesn't want me driving it too much (because she knows how I drive). It's the GT influence, I tell you.

I will finalize it all, hopefully, by tomorrow. Then, all this debating will be over.

I was looking at the G35 Coupe 6-spd w/ Brembo's before I bought my first LGT sedan, but I decided the room would be better, although I must say the G35 Coupe is one sleek looking car.

Your right about the G35 Coupe being sexy but damn in New Jersey, it seems like everyone has one.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

I just went from an 06 Spec.B to a Black 06 LegacySE and honestly dont really regret it. I OBVIOUSLY miss the red leather interior more than anything. Honestly I'm still kicking around getting the red interior installed in my car...Black/Red combo FTW :dm:

Besides, I'm a firm believer in the "Its not how fast you get there, but how good you look on the way :cool:"

And as people said, the speed is fun...but you definitely get used to it. Then at that point you're putting even MORE money into the car by modding it which kills your warranty and IMO overall reliability. I plan on having this car forever and eventually want to turn it into my daily driver and have a GC8 Impreza STI swap for when I feel like ripping around rather than just "commuting."

Dont buy a 2.5i! If you can indeed afford the GT. Get it. No questions asked. No doubts about it. I am a poor college student and can't/couldn't afford the GT. (could have if i did longer financing, but I didn't want to). I would buy a GT over the 2.5i. Honestly, if you keep your modding in control, the GT won't be that much more expensive month to month (i know this sounds like a dealership tactic, but I'm just trying to make sure you get a GT:lol:)

But, in the end, the decision is still yours, and you won't be able to blame anyone else for your decision:lol: And you will try to if you buy the 2.5i...

He has already owned a GT, so h knows what it feels like. I think he question is how does a NA Legacy feel compared to a GT. It does not feel much different suspension wise, engine is different, but it is still a fine diving car.

X

---

Why in the world are you buying a Subaru? I still don't get it.

If I were you, I would test drive all of these:

Volvo V50 Wagon (Turbo with 6MT)

Nissan Altima .2.5/3.5SE

VW Passat (Turbo)

Audi A3/A4

Honda Accord V6

Toyota Camry V6

Acura TSX/TL

They may or may not be cheaper than the Legacy GT, they will save you money in fuel, and they have traction control to save you in rainy situations. You already have one AWD car for particularly inclement days, but the majority of your driving is going to be in the sun!

I went through the same issue when I sold my GT. I looked at all the cars that you have listed up there. I had already owned an Altima, so that one was out of the question. The accord and camry are so boring that you can literally fall asleep while driving. The Passat was OK, but it was missing something that did not appeal to me. The TSX/TL are the me-too cars. Everyone has one! I also looked at Saab. Only one that I did not look at was the Volvo, but only because I heard horror stories with their quality.

In the end I came coming back to the Legacy, and I was happy that Subaru did offer a package that met my needs. This is maybe why the OP keeps coming back to Subaru, it is the right package, at the right price.

X

---

Exactly. I don't necessarily 'need' AWD here in the Sunshine State, but lemme tell you, after the downpour last night (which lasted the whole 30 minutes home), and then some, I was glad that the wife was liking her car. It didn't slip, it didn't shake due to torque steer off the line in the rain, and she felt good driving it. To me, that say a lot about a car...and it's safety here. Imagine getting 2 inches of rain in less than an hour? We could both carely see 20 feet in front of us...but, the car did not hesitate.

I would get a WRX, but, why bother, when the new models are coming out soon? If I could wait, I would, but given that we have 'two' jobs, in 'two' different locations, it's not going to be easy to commute with 'one' car.

Audi...how many on this board have come over from an Audi? There are lots. Then again, I'd be pushing the 34K+ range, for anything decent coming out of Audi...plus, pretty boys around here drive those...and I am not a pretty boy. :lol: No offense, to the members on the board, that came from an Audi. I was just referring to the people I see around here, with those cars.

I hate honda's, used to own one when I was in high school. Camry, come on man, even with a V6 it doesn't come in a stick. TL/TSX, no...even though they are fine cars in their own right. Volvo...too costly for the turbo, down here...and I'm not sure I would like it anyway.

Nissan...I don't like the shape of the altima, and test drove one...didn't really do anything for me. I mean, it is what it is...but, not for me.

Thus, I figured it would be another legacy. It's not like I disliked my car, I just sold it for reasons or bringing a car from a land of snow, to a land of no snow. And the car went to a land of snow, so it's all good. The owner is happy with it...and I am glad he is.

I think I have a finalized deal, on the LGT. This way, we will have the best of both worlds, one 2.5i and one GT. Long trips, take the 2.5i. Commute/around town, drive the GT. And the wife can re-learn driving a stick...so, it will be all good. We can have our fun, and cake too. :)

Thanks jarede. I finally made the decision, and drove home with the '08 LGT in Quartz Silver Metallic. Same color as the wife's car...only in GT trim, whereby hers is in 2.5i SE trim.

Got a pretty nice deal on an '08...the only option it had was the Auto Dimming mirror/compass thing. All good by me...as I don't care much for all the 'fru-fru' options. What I will eventually (when money permits) get, the STi STS, Stainless Lines, and maybe some other stuff...but we shall see...need to make some money, first.

Other than that...thanks for everyone's input...I will post up some pictures tomorrow...as it's kinda dark right now. I will even do a side by side comparo...for hers/his cars.

Cheers.

Perhaps a better question would be:

Anyone go from an LGT to a 2.5i and NOT regret it?

Seriously, how could you even consider that?

I see you've made the correct decision though... you would've been banned otherwise :p

Congrats :)

lol

Archived